Quantcast

La Gov Blanco, "Louisiana had a "well thought-out exit plan"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think Gov Blanco is worse then the now fired FEMA director... look for her to be recalled in the next several months... :thumb:

Governor Defends Louisiana's 'Exit Plan'
Associated Press | Sep 12 10:18 AM US/Eastern | JIM VERTUNO

Louisiana had a "well thought-out exit plan" in the days before Hurricane Katrina, and many more lives would have been lost without it, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Sunday.

"There was not a single individual taking a slow step in our state," Blanco said at the Reliant Center, where more than 2,000 evacuees are living after fleeing the devastation in New Orleans.

City, state and federal governments have been criticized for delays in evacuations and delivery of supplies, widespread communication difficulties, and law enforcement breakdowns in New Orleans that led to looting and violence.

Blanco insisted the state had an evacuation-and-rescue effort that prevented thousands more deaths.

"Were there lessons learned? You bet," she said in a tense 14-minute explanation after being asked to elaborate on Louisiana's storm plans.

"We did a massive evacuation, and if we hadn't we would have had thousands of deaths. Right now, the numbers are minimal when you consider the amount of damage."

As she has before, Blanco, a Democrat, refused to blame President Bush, a Republican.

"Help in those critical moments was slow in coming, not through any fault of the president," she said.

Blanco is scheduled to meet with Bush on Monday on the USS Iwo Jima off New Orleans. They were then expected to take a walking tour of the historic French Quarter.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
N8 said:
...Blanco said at the Reliant Center, where more than 2,000 evacuees are living after fleeing the devastation in New Orleans. ...
Isn't the Reliant Center in Houston? Looks like she skipped town to leave the rescue/clean up to someone else.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
rooftest said:
Isn't the Reliant Center in Houston? Looks like she skipped town to leave the rescue/clean up to someone else.
Kinda like Bush? Or maybe she is visiting the 2000 residents of her state that the FEMA can't seem to get out that temporary shelter....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
rooftest said:
That's right - it's all Bush's fault.
Where did I say that?

You said she skipped town to avoid work, which if that is correct, then what is Bush doing down there? He isn't manning the pumps, or stringing wires or even feeding anyone.... so is he just skipping Washington to avoid work like you claim Blanco is?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
DRB said:
You said she skipped town to avoid work, which if that is correct, then what is Bush doing down there?
That's what I said - I don't remember mentioning GWB, and don't see what he has to do with it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
rooftest said:
That's what I said - I don't remember mentioning GWB, and don't see what he has to do with it.
It's an analogy. The situations are similar. If you describe one of them as "avoiding work," then you must also agree that the other is "avoiding work" or you are contradicting yourself by selectively applying your definition.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
ohio said:
It's an analogy. The situations are similar. If you describe one of them as "avoiding work," then you must also agree that the other is "avoiding work" or you are contradicting yourself by selectively applying your definition.
Bullsh*t. I didn't mention Bush. It's not even related. You might as well say "well, the cruse control on VW's is impossible to use."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
I think Gov Blanco is worse then the now fired FEMA director... look for her to be recalled in the next several months... :thumb:

Governor Defends Louisiana's 'Exit Plan'
Associated Press | Sep 12 10:18 AM US/Eastern | JIM VERTUNO

Louisiana had a "well thought-out exit plan" in the days before Hurricane Katrina, and many more lives would have been lost without it, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Sunday.

"There was not a single individual taking a slow step in our state," Blanco said at the Reliant Center, where more than 2,000 evacuees are living after fleeing the devastation in New Orleans.

City, state and federal governments have been criticized for delays in evacuations and delivery of supplies, widespread communication difficulties, and law enforcement breakdowns in New Orleans that led to looting and violence.

Blanco insisted the state had an evacuation-and-rescue effort that prevented thousands more deaths.

"Were there lessons learned? You bet," she said in a tense 14-minute explanation after being asked to elaborate on Louisiana's storm plans.

"We did a massive evacuation, and if we hadn't we would have had thousands of deaths. Right now, the numbers are minimal when you consider the amount of damage."

As she has before, Blanco, a Democrat, refused to blame President Bush, a Republican.

"Help in those critical moments was slow in coming, not through any fault of the president," she said.

Blanco is scheduled to meet with Bush on Monday on the USS Iwo Jima off New Orleans. They were then expected to take a walking tour of the historic French Quarter.
Well, isn't this the kettle calling the pot black.

Frankly, not enough was done to prepare for a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane, and you see the results. The more I think about it, the less I feel Blanco and Nagin did. They might have done a fair-to-decent job after Katrina, but there was little preparation beforehand.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
rooftest said:
You didn't. I asked your opinion about Bush being in Louisana.

then what is Bush doing down there?
And be even more specific with my request I asked if you felt it was similar to what Blanco was doing.

so is he just skipping Washington to avoid work like you claim Blanco is?
And lastly which I didn't ask, is if you think that Bush isn't skipping work while Blanco is, why?