Quantcast

LA/SoCal monkeys - 5.8 earthquake

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I was at Sears buying some tools and a some things fell off the shelf without me touching them. I said, "It wasn't me!" I didn't know it was an earthquake though.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Yup. Not too bad in Santa Barbara. MY GF said it was a lot stronger in Oxnard, more rolling and longer lasting

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I definitely felt it. It shook pretty good where I'm at (just south of downtown LA). I've been here for two and a half years and that was the first one I've felt. It's kind of a weird experience.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I was just listening to the Jim Rome show and he stopped mid-interview with John Calapari to mention how much the earthquake was rocking the building he is broadcasting from.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Shook this place pretty good... (Sylmar, CA)

Cell service is jammed for the most part, but I was able to get a hold of my wife, as well as my daughter's daycare - everyone is fine thank goodness...

Stay safe So. Cal. Monkeys…

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Reflux in Santa Ana/Tustin
- I had a pile of papers fall over, though it wasn't exactly sturdy to begin with.
- No dimming of the lights
- First couple seconds were okay, but got stronger so I sat down next to my desk
- My phone call was uninterupted and cell phone worked subsequent to the quake
- Water cooler was knocked out of position and leaked water. Sucks.
- All-in-all, this is the strongest quake I have ever felt. Being so close to the epicenter is a freaky thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I definitely felt it. It shook pretty good where I'm at (just south of downtown LA). I've been here for two and a half years and that was the first one I've felt. It's kind of a weird experience.
Yea I'm kinda the same spot... El Segundo is where I work. i've been here just over a year and this was my first one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I was asleep... it was long, was a back and forth kinda quake with a couple of hard jolts. (That sounds dirty, eh? :p )

Nothing fell over or broke. It lasted long enough for me to wake up, enjoy the ride a bit, then get up, and stand in a doorway. The cats freaked out though.

I was living in Whittier in '87 (I think) when the Whittier quake hit. After that earthquakes don't bother me.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
They are calling it a 5.4 now, instead of the 5.8 that they initially reported. Boooo, 5.8 sounds cool, 5.4 sounds weak sauce.

If that was 5 point whatever, I can only imagine what the 7s or 8s or 9s feel like... seems like you would catch some air. Speaking of air, I wonder how bad an earthquake would mess up your flow while riding the dirt jumps?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I was in class at Cal Poly Pomona. We lost a few ceiling tiles and a light fixture. The power went out and we were evacuated. A little later, we were told they had closed the campus. On the way out, cells phones weren't working and a few stop lights were out. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
The quake centered 29 miles southeast of downtown LA... near chino hills I think. Just got a bit of a shake here by the border. Enough to get all the neighborhood dogs barking. Kinda freaky though cuz I was under a car when it happened.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Haha. I just got home and my cat is totally freaked out. I couldn't find her for the longest time. She's hiding under the bed and won't come out. Pvssy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I though he was up north...

DH Mike is down there too, I think.
DHMike lives about 30 minutes past me. Havent talked to him yet if he felt it or not. This was nothing compared to the Bigbear/Landers quake we have many years ago, was a hi six, and a low seven if memory serves. Luckily the bigger was centered in the middle of nowhere. Still both were over a minute long, and we had cars bouncing off the ground during those two. Nothin freakier than two large quakes within a couple hours.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
earthquakes are soooo legit i love'm. i have felt some cool ones, im in the bay area so ya
You're a complete tool mate. I love earthquakes? I've heard some daft things here but that takes the cake.:disgust::disgust1::disgust1:
LLK- I hope you never have to experience a proper one, absolutely terryfying experience and I would quite happily remove my left gonad with one of your rustier swords if it could guarantee me that I'd never have to feel another one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
You're a complete tool mate. I love earthquakes? I've heard some daft things here but that takes the cake.:disgust::disgust1::disgust1:
LLK- I hope you never have to experience a proper one, absolutely terryfying experience and I would quite happily remove my left gonad with one of your rustier swords if it could guarantee me that I'd never have to feel another one.
Hopefully he likes quakes that are low level where no one gets hurt.

Here in So Cal we do tend to get complacent about them since we have so many of them. We haven't had a really BIG quake in a long time and I think that sometimes we forget how deadly a quake can be.

The Whittier quake was a bit scary, being kinda close to the epicenter in Rosemead. I remember jumping on my bike and riding around town seeing broken glass everywhere and houses with collapsed porches, and chimneys.

I am certainly glad I wasn't close to the epicenter of the Northridge Quake in 94. I sure felt that one.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The Northridge earthquake was gnarly. I lived at Fremont Villas between downtown LA and Old Town Pasadena at the time. A bunch of stuff in my house fell down (including a trinitron tv that hucked 4' to flat and was still good). There were aftershocks for days.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This was the first major earthquake I've felt in California in the 5 years I've been here (was absent for the last two). Not impressed. As usual I think Californians are a bunch of fairies. That is nothing like a midwest tornado where you have only about a minute to get into your basement before you are relieved of the top half of your house and your car. A hurricane is about the same thing but lasts a lot longer. The worst that happens with an earthquake is that your stuff is dislocated a couple of feet and you may have to move yourself outdoors for a bit. At worst you scoot on outside fast if it's bad (too bad if you're on the can I guess). I think all the talk behind California being so hazardous due to earthquakes and fires and landslides is just hype to keep people from moving here.

It was funny though. I was eating lunch at a local pizza place, felt it, looked up, and saw about 5 old ladies waving their arms in the air and dancing as they were walking out of the Target next door freaking the hell out. Some of them were boogieing pretty darn hard.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I've never felt an earthquake and hope I never do. We here on the East Coast really aren't prepared for anything like that. :shocked:
I felt this one.

Magnitude 5.1 Earthquake Strikes Near Plattsburgh, New York
Shaking Felt Throughout New York State and Northeast
BUFFALO, NY … Many residents of New York State and the northeast United States awoke the morning of April 20, 2002 to the rumbling of an earthquake. According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the earthquake struck at 6:50 a.m. (EDT), approximately 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, New York. The USGS reported a preliminary magnitude of 5.1. Plattsburgh is located in New York State's Adirondack Mountain region, an area of relatively frequent seismic activity.

Shaking was felt throughout New England, and as far west as Cleveland, Ohio; as far south as Baltimore, Maryland; and as far north as Quebec, Canada. The earthquake was epicentered at 44 degrees 5 minutes north latitude and 73 degrees 7 minutes west longitude. It was measured at a shallow depth of five kilometers. There were reports of minor damage in the epicentral area. A bridge was damaged in Jay, New York, and road damage was reported in Keeseville, New York. A chimney was reported damaged in Lake Placid, and a window and foundation were cracked in Au Sable Forks, New York. The earthquake was similar in size to one which occurred approximately 80 miles to the southwest, near Blue Mountain Lake, New York, in October of 1983. Scientists are interested in learning what people may have experienced or observed during the earthquake, so that they can gain a more complete understanding of the event. Those who felt the earthquake can report what they experienced, by visiting the USGS online at http://earthquake.usgs.gov

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I wouldnt exactly call a 5.4 in california a "Major quake" Now the San Fran quake, that was a major quake, We felt that all the way down here ten hours away. There has been a bunch of small quakes in the last couple weeks down in this area, So having something finally hit at the 5 plus range isnt too suprising.