Quantcast

***Labor day GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
REI must track people who return a ton of gear. I'd probably fall into that category by now, especially since this year I've tried out and disliked several kinds of shirts, shorts, bibs, and now a whole bike (that lasted in my garage for all of two days of commuting).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
REI must track people who return a ton of gear. I'd probably fall into that category by now, especially since this year I've tried out and disliked several kinds of shirts, shorts, bibs, and now a whole bike (that lasted in my garage for all of two days of commuting).
i should have clarified - what was wrong with the bike?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i should have clarified - what was wrong with the bike?
Alfine 8 hub made for a great looking bike but sounded like a cement mixer when freewheeling, had a spongy and slow engagement, and the spacing between gears in the range in which I ride was uneven:

"Gears" 5-7 when reading from the left are the money gears, and the unevenness bugged me. Add in cheap stock fenders that loved to rub the tire with any provocation + REI's return policy and it was an easy fix for buyer's remorse.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm all for big boxes supporting my recreational habits... however, now that I live in the land of locally owned outfitters I never return anything that I have used.
even if the product was defective? I don't know... given the price the manufacturers charge for their gear, if something is wrong with it, I have no qualms asking them to stand behind their product. as long as its not the shop that gets screwed. IMO, it took a while for manufacturers to find the materials and techniques to make long lasting equipment. But for a shell to only last two seasons before something fails on it seems unreasonable to me...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
even if the product was defective? I don't know... given the price the manufacturers charge for their gear, if something is wrong with it, I have no qualms asking them to stand behind their product. as long as its not the shop that gets screwed. IMO, it took a while for manufacturers to find the materials and techniques to make long lasting equipment. But for a shell to only last two seasons before something fails on it seems unreasonable to me...
I've had pretty good luck with most items I have purchased so the issue rarely comes up. If I know the manufacturer will compensate the retailer I have no trouble but if the shop has to take the hit I will just eat it and never buy that manufacturers product again.

For me shells are 5 year items but I probably would not take it back after 2 seasons only to put myself through more of the same. Most warranties cover repair or replacement from the manufacturer while refunds come out of the shop owners pocket.

That said, most of my dissatisfaction from products is a result my own poor judgement - I won't return something because I made a bad purchasing decision - I will find a way to make it work or give it to somebody else who can use it.

@Toshi - time is money, suck it up and ride the bike(s) you('ve) bought. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've had pretty good luck with most items I have purchased so the issue rarely comes up. If I know the manufacturer will compensate the retailer I have no trouble but if the shop has to take the hit I will just eat it and never buy that manufacturers product again.

For me shells are 5 year items but I probably would not take it back after 2 seasons only to put myself through more of the same. Most warranties cover repair or replacement from the manufacturer while refunds come out of the shop owners pocket.

That said, most of my dissatisfaction from products is a result my own poor judgement - I won't return something because I made a bad purchasing decision - I will find a way to make it work or give it to somebody else who can use it.

@Toshi - time is money, suck it up and ride the bike(s) you('ve) bought. :D
care to share some of the examples? ie brands you've had good luck with, stuff to avoid?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
care to share some of the examples? ie brands you've had good luck with, stuff to avoid?
Mountain Hardware, CRAFT and ARC'TERYX are currently on my most trusted brand list. I've also had reasonable luck with The North Face when I'm on a budget. I've never had cause be dissatisfied with these brands that I mostly find in small independent shops.

Columbia, Nike and UnderArmour are brands that have not held up for me although I have no issues with Nike running shoes.