Quantcast

***Labor day GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Going to ride Centennial Cone with an e-bike ride group. May well be a mistake on two levels, this.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
According to the Subaru dealer car needs front pads and rotors resurfaced. I should probably check and do them myself, how hard can it be?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
According to the Subaru dealer car needs front pads and rotors resurfaced. I should probably check and do them myself, how hard can it be?
Do all 4 corners and just replace the rotors. You can probably do it yourself in an hour and for WAY less than what the dealer told you it would cost just to have them turned.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Aw fuck. This is devastating to me. I worked as a dive master on the Conception for 6 years in the early 80s. At 4am every one would have been in the forward bunks below decks except for the the crew up in the pilot house.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whole body is sore today. Eating breakfast and packing at the same time. Once we're done, drive to Sea-Tac begins. Never did get up to A-line because the rest of the group didn't get back up to that level.

Thinking Mt. St. Anne for next year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Re-beveled and sharpeneda knife yesterday, kept all my fingers. Also rebuilt a front wheel, let's see if I keep all my teeth. Modern rims make wheel building such a pleasure, damn near perfectly true wheel with all spokes within 5% tension on each side.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I knew I had a really bad feeling about the Conception sinking. My former boss at the dive shop had this weekend's charter and his website indicted he and his daughter we're on board. This sucks hard.
That sucks. Sounds like the crew on duty got off, would that include them?
Boats and fires are an ugly combo.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Going to ride Centennial Cone with an e-bike ride group. May well be a mistake on two levels, this.
Yeah, so about that:

- Centennial Cone blows. Hot, exposed (both in terms of shaded areas and of side hill exposure), and just endless climbing. This climbing was tolerable on the e-bike but given the lack of rewarding descents (save for the fun 20 foot section of rocks going down from the top of the Cone proper that most weenies walk) it just isn’t worth it.
- two other e-bike riders showed up, and a motley crew we were indeed. Me in modern tech riding gear on a Pivot, another guy looking dressed to travel across Africa on safari (like with full combat boots, for instance) on a Haibike, and a guy looking as if he might shuffle down the street on a hardtail with a Bosch middrive, a rack, and a soft sided trunk on said rack. We stayed together fairly well on ascents via the magic of electricity, but they clearly don’t live for fun sections on the descents and would rather take things at a very sedate pace.

I’m going to see if Army boots dude wants to take a lap on Mountain Lion sometime (50/50 whether he likes it or hates it) but otherwise this riding group is not for me if this kind of ride is their idea of a fun time. Other rides I’ve seen them post are at Green Mountain and Mt. Falcon so this type of shit is really what they like.
Was driving home in the country last night at 1am when some guy jumped out from bushes and tried to flag me down. Fuck that!
He just wanted to see y0re wang. NBD.

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Rode a trail in the Pisgah Ranger District that they just reworked and reopened two days ago. The original trail was steep, technical, and basically surfing down rox 90% of the way. Was fun. Lots of bitching about the rework and sanitizing a USFS unsustainable trail. Anyway, the rework was awesome. Still rocky, proper drainage and gaps and berms like you wouldn’t believe. 10 out of 10 would bang again

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Rode a trail in the Pisgah Ranger District that they just reworked and reopened two days ago. The original trail was steep, technical, and basically surfing down rox 90% of the way. Was fun. Lots of bitching about the rework and sanitizing a USFS unsustainable trail. Anyway, the rework was awesome. Still rocky, proper drainage and gaps and berms like you wouldn’t believe. 10 out of 10 would bang again
This story warms the cockles of my heart.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
- Centennial Cone blows.
:stupid:

Only time I rode there I blew a derailleur off a brand new bike and got stung by a bee/wasp thing right below my right eye within a matter of minutes of each other. On top of it being a damn near two hour drive one-way from my house.
3/10, not recommended.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Avery? photos i saw seemed like it was done proper.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Do all 4 corners and just replace the rotors. You can probably do it yourself in an hour and for WAY less than what the dealer told you it would cost just to have them turned.
Yeah, I priced up the parts to replace rotors and pads and it's a lot less than the number the dealer quoted for pads and to resurface the rotors.

I'll give it a go, not like brakes are important living in the mountains :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:stupid:

Only time I rode there a blew a derailleur off a brand new bike and got stung by a bee/wasp thing right below my right eye within a matter of minutes of each other. On top of it being a damn near two hour drive one-way from my house.
3/10, not recommended.
Wife and I will cut across the one trail when we're linking it into a big 60+ mile dirt road loop, but it's definitely not a destination. I just wanted to see Toshi's ride report :D

I can't see how to make it a worthwhile trail either when they link it to the new Floyd Hill stuff...

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Yah bastids! But yes, actually you all did warn me, and it lived up to its reputation as a hell of a climb and not much else.

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Avery? photos i saw seemed like it was done proper.
Yeah. Lots of local debate about ruining the raw feel of backcountry Pisgah, etc. it was really well done and still retains the rough feel. I feel it will only get better with time. Although, I has a strong feeling some people (hopefully not me) are gonna get seriously broke off.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
rode yesterday in the heat, breakfast and hiking around with visiting fam this morning, now chilling indoor while a big ol pork shoulder slow cooks for later.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah. Lots of local debate about ruining the raw feel of backcountry Pisgah, etc. it was really well done and still retains the rough feel. I feel it will only get better with time. Although, I has a strong feeling some people (hopefully not me) are gonna get seriously broke off.
i was happy and didn't e-complain when i saw some photos (of avery)...photos of what they did to upper black gave me the sads, and i e-complained (without having ridden it, of course) because the few times i rode it i remembered it as being fast, rough, and ledgy, which are all good things in my book.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rode super tech spot today. Conditions were perfect, grippy rocks and soft dry soil. Which was great for riding the slabs of rock in there. Brought the gopro, but had it pointed a tad too high for anything useful.

Also stopped at a water fall and took pictures of roxxxxx for @jdcamb

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i was happy and didn't e-complain when i saw some photos (of avery)...photos of what they did to upper black gave me the sads, and i e-complained (without having ridden it, of course) because the few times i rode it i remembered it as being fast, rough, and ledgy, which are all good things in my book.
Black is still one of my favourite trails. Enough to ride it twice during the same week. Once in the snow. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Broke some new ground today. Got pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a WY state trooper for having expired FL license plates on the rental car. He was nice and clearly entertained and gave me just a warning.
Beers with @rideit in 10.