Quantcast

For Sale Lacing/Spoke length issues

AndyMacD62

Chimp
May 21, 2021
Hi all,
I'm building a set of wheels laced as a 3 cross pattern. I've had trouble with some spokes being too short and some being too long, on both sides of both wheels. I've checked and rechecked the spoke lengths on several calculators and that all seems to be correct (spoke lengths are the calculated to be all the same length). I have also check the lacing pattern and it seems to be right and consistent. There is a pattern to the problem so this suggests to me a lacing issue (the pattern is: 2 spokes too long, 2 spokes too short, 2 spokes too long, 2 spokes too short and so on all the way around the rim.). I am wondering whether by rotating the hub after lacing the first 2 sides of 8 spokes, this has caused an issue (ie. can I rotate it too far?). Or, perhaps I should re lace them (for the fourth time) and try elbows facing the opposite sides as this may also slightly effect length (I have read Sheldon Brown's article on elbow direction). Has anyone out there come across this problem?

Hi all,
I'm building a set of wheels laced as a 3 cross pattern. I've had trouble with some spokes being too short and some being too long, on both sides of both wheels. I've checked and rechecked the spoke lengths on several calculators and that all seems to be correct (spoke lengths are the calculated to be all the same length). I have also check the lacing pattern and it seems to be right and consistent. There is a pattern to the problem so this suggests to me a lacing issue (the pattern is: 2 spokes too long, 2 spokes too short, 2 spokes too long, 2 spokes too short and so on all the way around the rim.). I am wondering whether by rotating the hub after lacing the first 2 sides of 8 spokes, this has caused an issue (ie. can I rotate it too far?). Or, perhaps I should re lace them (for the fourth time) and try elbows facing the opposite sides as this may also slightly effect length (I have read Sheldon Brown's article on elbow direction). Has anyone out there come across this problem?
Drag it to your local bike store and ask them to teach you how to do it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This happens if something is wrong with the way you've laced the wheel or twisted the hub.

Pull it apart again. Check to make sure the spokes are all the same, correct length. (Sometimes the wrong spokes will get in a box and mix with a different length.) Assuming the spokes are good, read some articles on lacing (beyond j-bend direction) and try again.

Even better, pick up Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel".