Quantcast

Lack of OLN tour hype related to Discovery?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Last year, OLN was blowing so much smoke up Lance's rear that it was harming the Ozone. They had a gazillion commercials talking about him "making history." They had all these specials about the build up to the tour, interviews, post race interviews etc..etc...
Every time you turned to OLN last year there was programming associated with the Tour.
And this year, they are playing their tired RODEO coverage 10 hours a day, and hardly mentioning cycling or the Tour at all.
I was just wondering if it is because Discovery is another cable channel that they look at as competition or is there something else going on? Any ideas?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
stinkyboy said:
Both situations seem to piss you off. What do you want? A lot of Lance or no Lance?
No, I don't ever get angry at such silliness.
But it is just an obvious difference between this year and last year, and I was just wondering if there is something political going on.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
Last year, OLN was blowing so much smoke up Lance's rear that it was harming the Ozone. They had a gazillion commercials talking about him "making history." They had all these specials about the build up to the tour, interviews, post race interviews etc..etc...
Every time you turned to OLN last year there was programming associated with the Tour.
And this year, they are playing their tired RODEO coverage 10 hours a day, and hardly mentioning cycling or the Tour at all.
I was just wondering if it is because Discovery is another cable channel that they look at as competition or is there something else going on? Any ideas?
Discovery got all that programming that overran OLN last year. Once the tour starts OLN is close to 24 hour tour coverage. A friend on mine who works for ESPN said that OLN made the decision last year to scale back the cycling coverage because it is there belief that once Lance retires America will quit watching.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
DRB said:
Discovery got all that programming that overran OLN last year. Once the tour starts OLN is close to 24 hour tour coverage. A friend on mine who works for ESPN said that OLN made the decision last year to scale back the cycling coverage because it is there belief that once Lance retires America will quit watching.
Cool. I really don't care about the build up stuff, but I still gotta watch the tour.
America will QUIT watching?
I did not realize that "Larry" was working a 12 hour shift at the steal mill and running home to pull for the Pink Telekom team.

Uh oh, the tour is coming up, I bet CSI is worried about its ratings. ;)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm pretty certain most of the general public will stop watching as well. Until another US name comes up, the general public won't even give a crap. They're more interested in a "manufactured" sport like football than cycling.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Pau11y said:
I'm pretty certain most of the general public will stop watching as well. Until another US name comes up, the general public won't even give a crap. They're more interested in a "manufactured" sport like football than cycling.
Please don't take this as an attack, but how exactly is riding around on a highly manipulated set of aluminum and carbonfiber tubes less manufactured than playing a game where you pummel the crap out of one another ie. football?

Besides that, ya, no body gives a crap about the tour. Sure we do, but we are a small slice of the pie.

People I work with crapped when they saw a reciept for a $70 pair of pedals on my desk. As we know $70 is the cheapest around...

I'm rambling...

GO LANCE!