Quantcast

Lahar Lovers.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Just starting a Lahar specific thread for people searching. I will edit this tomorrow and ad pics of mine.
Xy9ine could you please get the ball rolling with some pics and specs of your gorgeous ride.
Oh you to Punter,Kona dude(name change please)and any other Lahar riders.
Anyone riding a Lahar softail? Pics?
Hey, NSM. You're forgetting me! It occurs to me that your the only one in the world to actually have owned two Mk9's!
I'll try to get my ass into gear & get some decent pics of mine with the current setup tonight...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
fastest production frame? rides like a 303. has a gearbox and floater. CARBON!!! is there anything else it could have?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
fastest production frame? rides like a 303. has a gearbox and floater. CARBON!!! is there anything else it could have?
Cooling tunnel for the shock resi,integrated headset and BB.

Sticks here's a pic of the Ts http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010004xe8.jpg ,bad quality pic sorry,the yellows real bright,the writting is gold,they also come in just black.PM me once you've seen it and we can sort something out..

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Regarding Raleigh's stinkbum pirating of the brandname, its been registered since 1996, we have IP treaties with everywhere they are using it and marketed in leading international MTB mags since 1999 (they began using it in 2004). Several hotshot IP lawyers have said "say the word and we'll eat them for breakfast!" Opinions are they want to be first in the line if Lahar considers licencing.
Punter has his second M9. He's owned #2 and now #3.
Got 3rd in scot nats in the weekend. Go punter! Welcome back to the closest (and often over) to the ragged edge pro I've ever met!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anybody know if it's possible to use a nexus hub, like the GT in the lahar? That could reduce the cost by like $700 and give you just the gears you need for DH. GT did it successfully...is it possible?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah sort of. Lahar can make the mounting plates for it reluctantly I believe.
GT did it succesfully but I don't think the Nexus are lasting long from what I've read and heard. I would like to hear otherwise. I strongly advise you just get the Rohloff,will prove cheaper than any other drivetrain set up in the long run,well maybe not single speed.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Re: Nexus hubs.

In my experience, the Nexus 8 is a great hub, at least for commuter bikes. Pretty much maintenance free, it just keeps running through all kinds of conditions. A shop I worked at sold a lot of them. However, I have only heard of one or two people who tried to run them on DH bikes (w/ a disc brake adapter, of course). Apparently they didn't hold up well, but I don't recall why. I do recall reading e-speculation that the nexus hub ought to hold up much better in a frame mounted scenario. The lower end Nexus hubs are not as nice as the 8.

Apr 9, 2007
KC, NS, Canada
personally i love lahars, but i was wondering, say your out for a race... or anything similar, and you scrape your frame on say a rock... and it gouges the carbon this makes the bike disposable?

if so does this not seem like a very expensive disposable, but beautiful race frame?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
personally i love lahars, but i was wondering, say your out for a race... or anything similar, and you scrape your frame on say a rock... and it gouges the carbon this makes the bike disposable?

if so does this not seem like a very expensive disposable, but beautiful race frame?
the frame is well overbuilt in that regard. scrapes will no more affect the frames durability than an aluminum frame (and the stuff is really hard to scratch in the first place). the scratches = carbon death myth should die already.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Whay xy9ine said.

BTW, you still like your bike after some extended time?
love it even more. took a little bit getting used to the fairly significant geometry / handling differences from my previous bike, but its really working for me now. fun fun. definitely not missing derailleurs; apart from oiling the chains, i haven't had to touch the drivetrain in the last 4 months. perfect shifting all the time - as it should be.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice. I love these things more and more. If there was a 5-7 speed one with a trigger I'd sell my kidney for it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah sort of. Lahar can make the mounting plates for it reluctantly I believe.
GT did it succesfully but I don't think the Nexus are lasting long from what I've read and heard. I would like to hear otherwise. I strongly advise you just get the Rohloff,will prove cheaper than any other drivetrain set up in the long run,well maybe not single speed.
my it-1 is still running like new. Rode it on Tunnel this weekend, worked great, my goal this summer is to test it quite a bit, but so far, after maybe 15 hr's of muddy dh-ing and maybe 50 hours of dry its still running lik new.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
my it-1 is still running like new. Rode it on Tunnel this weekend, worked great, my goal this summer is to test it quite a bit, but so far, after maybe 15 hr's of muddy dh-ing and maybe 50 hours of dry its still running lik new.
That's good to hear. Thanks.
Why are you trying to sell it? Geo?

KnightChild

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Noo Zealund

Hahahaha, Dude it's not that weak - i would take more than a rock to gouge it enough to require a repatch. And repatching makes just as strong as before.
Ask "punter" who's had some massive crashes into trees - one where he broke his front wheel, handlebars, stem (stem ffs!), and Fox 40s...frame was in exact condition before and after the crash.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Nice. I love these things more and more. If there was a 5-7 speed one with a trigger I'd sell my kidney for it.
i've heard a well substantiated rumor that a trigger is in development. however i was surprised that i don't mind the gripshift; really a non-issue, imo. i run a long grip so just the edge of my hand is on the shifter - works & feels just fine. its nice to be able to quickly dump lots of gears with a quick flick. (though i may cut down the shifter width a bit so i can run a full width grip). having the 14spd range is actually pretty cool, and with the ability to run a huge length seatpost, its surprisingly climbable (if you're into such silly things).

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i know this is going to be a stupid question, but how does the bike counteract bob? i am thinking through the LSC in the shox? since its a high pivot and its got a gear box the chain tension will have no effect on it, it should ride like an inchworm, but i am sure that is not the case.

or does the rearward axle path keep the wheel high in its travel as you get on the pedals? i have tried a pdc dh1 and it does pedal very well, but i am not sure whether thats from the high pivot point or the LSC.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i know this is going to be a stupid question, but how does the bike counteract bob? i am thinking through the LSC in the shox? since its a high pivot and its got a gear box the chain tension will have no effect on it, it should ride like an inchworm, but i am sure that is not the case.

or does the rearward axle path keep the wheel high in its travel as you get on the pedals? i have tried a pdc dh1 and it does pedal very well, but i am not sure whether thats from the high pivot point or the LSC.
If you bounce up and down like a frog in a sock then sure like any other bike it'll bounce,the chain does have no noticable affect on the suspension,I thought inchworming was chain related,anyway. It pedals as good as any big travel dually that the suspension actually works on. Lahar encourages it's customers to run no propedal at all on the shock as it doesn't need it. I've run mine without it and am about to experiment with it for geometry in corners on some tracks,just to see what affect it plays,not for pedal inducced bob.
The lightly sprung chain stay also probablly absorbs a bit of rough pedalling.
XY9ine,I'm about to go the other way with my grip after running near full grip,I'm going to move the shifter out further and into my hand and try that,the shifts are so crisp,I think we're just living in old twit shifter paranoia,I don't think It'll mis shift,and even if you did,it's not like it'll crunch when you pedal like with a deraileur. I've trimmed the high ridges off the shifter for more comfort though.
I'm still not sure what way to run it though,after running it non normal style(forward for eaier gear)I've now changed back to try the old school way,although not having the shifter as easy to grab may have influenced this,oh my life as a hyperchondriac.