Quantcast

lahar updates

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
freshened up for the new season. notable additions - gravity lites, and fashionably wide bars. 36.9lbs as it sits. currently looking like a proper pavement princess. shakedown cruise tomorrow @ whizzler.

stripped & polished deity d30's:

slice & dice:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You always do a nice job with your bikes XY. I'd love to see some action shots. How are the Ti spokes holding up? Also, I could be wrong, but I had heard the gothic rotors were terrible....or are they OK?

I really wish Aaron would get his act together...I want one! See if you can meet up with W00dy, he's in the whistler area.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You always do a nice job with your bikes XY. I'd love to see some action shots. How are the Ti spokes holding up? Also, I could be wrong, but I had heard the gothic rotors were terrible....or are they OK?

I really wish Aaron would get his act together...I want one! See if you can meet up with W00dy, he's in the whistler area.
those are not gothic rotors (Hope). They are some other aftermarket rotor that is very light (Like XY would use any thing else...).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
THey do a ti nitride coated steel rotor but as far as I can tell the do not make an actual ti rotor. The weight savings comes from minimal material use.

The ti nitride is a surface hardening coating (metal oxide ceramic) and is yellow in color, not sure what it would do for CoF.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
freshened up for the new season. notable additions - gravity lites, and fashionably wide bars. 36.9lbs as it sits. currently looking like a proper pavement princess. shakedown cruise tomorrow @ whizzler.

So to say:

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah, the rotors are made by Ashima but Alligator sells them under their name as well. They do a golden TiN coating but it makes the rotors less grabby and looks like sh*t in a couple weeks of riding. As for the bike, that's sick. Is it hard to keep the lowers polished up so well, seeing as they're magnesium?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Nice Xy...
still not sure how you got it down to 37.
Mines is about 40 the now and dont think I could go light on much more.
Mines is ready for a shake up,season and a half is makin it look old...

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
sweet bike, I love Lahars... I love them sooo much!
and I'd love to ride one someday....;)

I hope you're gonna post some riding pics from Whistler...?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
What's that seat post?
hacked down faceface deus xc w/ ti bolts (about 150g).
How are the Ti spokes holding up? Also, I could be wrong, but I had heard the gothic rotors were terrible....or are they OK?
never had a problem with the ti spokes. i've been using them on & off for years - i've got a front wheel circa 2001 on the same ti dye marwi spokes.

rotors are standard (steel) ashima / aligator. i had some fading on the stock organic pads, but the metallics seem to be doing the trick. surprisingly capable considering how minimalist this brake combo is.

Is it hard to keep the lowers polished up so well, seeing as they're magnesium?
yeah, it's a bit tedious. they stay shiny for a while in the dry weather, but tarnish almost immediately in the wet (so they stay grey most of the season).

still not sure how you got it down to 37.
some fairly neurotic weight-weenie-ing going on. the schwalbes are a bit of a cheat, but hook up great and have been surprisingly durable. there's still a couple places weight could be whittled, but i'm happy with it as is.

Bike looks great but some sweet Whistler action pictures would be nice.
unfortunately none of us could be bothered to carry cameras or stop & stage for photos. i've got a surprising lack of riding documentation. truth of the matter is, i just like to build flash bikes & hang out at the longhorn all day. definitely was a great day for that on sunday. hot & sunny with crankworx qualifications in the boneyard for chairlift / liftline / patio entertainment. trails were buff & dry & packed with the typical whistler awesomeness. i forgot what a beast this bike was (it's been in hibernation all winter); i can't ride fast enough to unsettle it. love it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
unfortunately none of us could be bothered to carry cameras or stop & stage for photos. i've got a surprising lack of riding documentation. truth of the matter is, i just like to build flash bikes & hang out at the longhorn all day. definitely was a great day for that on sunday. hot & sunny with crankworx qualifications in the boneyard for chairlift / liftline / patio entertainment. trails were buff & dry & packed with the typical whistler awesomeness. i forgot what a beast this bike was (it's been in hibernation all winter); i can't ride fast enough to unsettle it. love it.
I know what you are talking about I have very few pictures from any of my visits. I would just have been cool to see it fly.

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
Now this is something J.B. would be proud of. I still go into brain freeze when I look at that motorcycle to long. Your Lahar is very sexy, F1 all the way baby!

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
Nice write up xy9ine, I've been lucky enough to ride a couple of Lahar's over the years and loved the look and feel of the M9 even though I only had a chance for a brief run on it. Your very lucky to have such a special bike! Its sad that the company disappeared into the either...

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
did a blurb on nsmb. bike is going into it's 4th season & still running strong.

http://nsmb.com/3463-readers-rides-16/

With all the anti Carbon BS that goes on it is fantastic to see them still riding around. I was at the first round on the NZ National DH rounds today and one was being punted pretty hard down the course. I often see a couple on our local DH trails too :thumb:

We had J.Loev , Blinky, Cam Cole, Fabien Pedemanaud, Sabrina Joiner, Brook MacDonald amongst others at the event :D

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Is that "Where's my Lahar" thread still alive and kicking at MTBR? That thing will never die!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
With all the anti Carbon BS that goes on it is fantastic to see them still riding around.
yep. say what you will about the company, it's still a shining proof of concept of the viability of carbon utilization in dh frames. fantastic strength to weight ratio. i like to think we're not too far from seeing more commonplace usage.

thanks, terry. now i'm wishing i'd have spent more time with your bike - would have been fun to do a similar review. speaking of which, how are things going in that realm?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Great write up. It's a shame about what transpired with Aaron. Glad that bike is holding up well, but that freaky light build gives me the willies. Ti spokes? Alloy nips? Silicon grips instead of some form of lockon? Universally hated gravity light cranks?

I hope for great things with the nigh-unicorn like Zerode. Maybe it'll give the rest of us a chance to experience something like what you've got...just less carbon.

The article didn't mention too many problems...have you had any issues with the bike?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
that freaky light build gives me the willies. Ti spokes? Alloy nips? Silicon grips instead of some form of lockon? Universally hated gravity light cranks?
i like rocking the sketchy stuff just do dispel preconceptions. i've been using ti spokes since 2001 on a variety of wheels, and they've been flawless; as have been aluminum nips - they just don't stand up to ham fisted wrenching. fortunately i've got a kickass wheelbuilder at my disposal (me).

i use the silicone grips because i can't get a lockon in the proper length (twister specific odi's are too short). surprisingly, they're super grippy, and never slip regardless of conditions (unlike regular foam grips which are generally useless). they do get torn in crashes, however.

the gravity lites are fine as long as you're not pounding them into the ground. the bb isn't super low on this bike, so hasn't been an issue. granted, i'm only 160lbs, and no longer do massive dorps to falt (much smoother in my older & wiser years).