Quantcast

Lake Champlain roadie ride

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Another fun ride organized by a crazy biker friend of mine.

So i had to be out the door at 5:30 to hit 3 car pool meet up spots, grab breakfast, drive up to Essex, NY and grab the 9:30 ferry over to VT...and the 16 of us just made it!

So VT has a marked scenic bikway from the southern Ferry to the Northern one, mostly nice low traffic roads and 20 or so miles of bike path which did get crowded and slow going thru Burlington, but we were in no rush and the scenery was great. The 2nd Ferry takes back across the Lake to Plattsburgh NY and then it was time to head North back to Essex. It was a little chilly to start with but the sun was out and eventually warmed up to 60 or so.

Round Trip was 95 miles, and definitely something you should check out if you ever get the chance!

A few pics (by Buck)

Driving up in the fog

On The ferry

Scenic!

~

~

~

~

~

~

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The plan was a stick together tour ride at 15mph avg, but between the slow going on the bike path and 2 or 3 slower rides in the group our average dropped down under 14, add in a bunch of stops and we started getting worried about finishing before dark. So the planned extended lunch stop at Burlington was skipped.

Two of the stronger riders got a little impatient and next thing I know 4 of us broke out ahead of the group, and when we made it to the 2nd ferry we decided to grab the next one, and just keep going (we called to let them know) We got back at 5ish, the next group came in at 6:45 and I guess a 3rd group (of 3) were still out when the 2nd group left the parking lot off at 7:15

I ended up with 16.2 avg for the day.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Nice ride Doug. My family's summer place is just 5 miles from the Grand Isle/Plattsburgh ferry crossing and I've been giving a lot of thought to riding a loop up through the islands, across to NY, down to Plattsburgh and taking the ferry home.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
The plan was a stick together tour ride at 15mph avg, but between the slow going on the bike path and 2 or 3 slower rides in the group our average dropped down under 14, add in a bunch of stops and we started getting worried about finishing before dark. So the planned extended lunch stop at Burlington was skipped.

Two of the stronger riders got a little impatient and next thing I know 4 of us broke out ahead of the group, and when we made it to the 2nd ferry we decided to grab the next one, and just keep going (we called to let them know) We got back at 5ish, the next group came in at 6:45 and I guess a 3rd group (of 3) were still out when the 2nd group left the parking lot off at 7:15

I ended up with 16.2 avg for the day.
Cool! Let me know if you guys do it again, I could probably hang with group 2 or 3. :)

splat

Nam I am
looks and Sounds like a fun ride! Any Climbing ?

I have bad memories of Plattsburgh.........like losing 25-0 vs. their hockey team memories. ugh. :(

25-0 ? I hope some of there players wound up injuried. last time I was in a game like that losing 12-0 at the end ofthe 2nd there best player ( who already scored 5 goals on me ) came in pretty much on a break away, I didn't care if the puck went net ,I Speared him good !( and made the save ) Think I broke a rib or2 ! Brawl ensued , refs called game , they carried him off the ice. And I didn't even get suspended .