Quantcast

Lakers v Celtics, the epic rivalry lives!

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Screw you guys, who the f would've thought Leon Powe would blow out the Lakers? God damnit, Lakers in 7 (maybe).

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
i'll be the first to admit that the lakers are playing some sh!ty defense...but this is possibly the worst referring i've ever seen in an nba game much less and nba finals game...the refs ruined this game
They definitely called a lot more fouls in these games than they did in the Pistons series. Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton were beating each other up in those games. I wonder if the league didn't review the footage and tell the officials to call more fouls.

I'll be honest though, I really don't understand what the announcers were talking about when they were saying that some fouls shouldn't be a foul because it's the playoffs. I don't understand this mentality. I can see maybe the severity of a foul being different during the year because you want to protect the players for the entire season and penalize them($$) for over agressive play, but not calling fouls during playoffs? Doesn't it go both ways. Aren't the fouls part of the game and game management? How can you not call them? There were definitely some calls that looked like make up calls last night on both sides.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
They definitely called a lot more fouls in these games than they did in the Pistons series. Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton were beating each other up in those games. I wonder if the league didn't review the footage and tell the officials to call more fouls.

I'll be honest though, I really don't understand what the announcers were talking about when they were saying that some fouls shouldn't be a foul because it's the playoffs. I don't understand this mentality. I can see maybe the severity of a foul being different during the year because you want to protect the players for the entire season and penalize them($$) for over agressive play, but not calling fouls during playoffs? Doesn't it go both ways. Aren't the fouls part of the game and game management? How can you not call them? There were definitely some calls that looked like make up calls last night on both sides.
how often do you see players take 3 or more steps and not get called for a travel....i saw it happen probably 10 times last night...it just seemed like the lakers were getting called for fouls while doing the same exact thing that the celtics were doing...and the celtics weren't getting called on...there was also some clean blocks that the lakers were gettting and they were calling fouls...and the refs need to stop with the late calls, three times there was a "foul" and the refs waited until the next drive started before they called it, or they were calling shooting fouls when the celtics were fouled and then jumped to shoot when it was way after the foul

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
how often do you see players take 3 or more steps and not get called for a travel....i saw it happen probably 10 times last night...it just seemed like the lakers were getting called for fouls while doing the same exact thing that the celtics were doing...and the celtics weren't getting called on...there was also some clean blocks that the lakers were gettting and they were calling fouls...and the refs need to stop with the late calls, three times there was a "foul" and the refs waited until the next drive started before they called it, or they were calling shooting fouls when the celtics were fouled and then jumped to shoot when it was way after the foul
:nopity:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the balance will probably swing the other way when the series gets to LA.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The lakers score with jump shots, Celtics were driving to the basket. Lakers have to be physical to defend that kind of game and will get more fouls called because of it.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
like when the slav/serb/whatever eastern european country deflected the pass, ran down the court, went in for an uncontested dunk and took 3 steps on the way?
that comment i made wasn't bias towards any team, i was just saying in general people bend the rules, and the refs don't call it...so if the refs are going to call ever little foul then they need to call all the 3 step walks

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
like when the slav/serb/whatever eastern european country deflected the pass, ran down the court, went in for an uncontested dunk and took 3 steps on the way?
It was a Sunday stroll from the line, that's all. :rofl:

How the hell they didn't call that was beyond me.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i do recall the refs calling a travel on pierce when he took one step, but this was at the point where they were 20 points up so no one really cared.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
how often do you see players take 3 or more steps and not get called for a travel....i saw it happen probably 10 times last night
I hear you, that's one of the things that drive me nuts about the NBA. You have these monsters that can pretty much throw the ball down into the hoop gettting away from fouls you would call on a 10 year old who has to throw the ball as hard as he can just to reach the rim.

Like this play which was unbelieveable. but looks( I don't really know basketball ins and outs) like a travel and it's an advertisement for the NBA.

I have TiVo and there were a few calls on the Celtics that I couldn't figure out the where the foul was incurred and it seams like ABC is not breaking those down. it seemed like they were calling fouls in batches too. If you got one foul, a second foul seemed to come within the next minute. It happened to Powe and Odum.

Here's another ad for the game. Isn't it traveling if you move your pivot foot before you actually start dribbling?

I really don't understand some of the intricacies of these rules(at least not like I know baseball). At least there's some interesting TV to watch now that all the prime time TV seasons have ended(most with dissapointing episodes).

Last edited:

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
The lakers score with jump shots, Celtics were driving to the basket. Lakers have to be physical to defend that kind of game and will get more fouls called because of it.
Yeah Westy, I think you've hit on a crucial point here. This has been one of the big keys to the Lakers not having shown up for this series yet until the fourth quarter of last game. Even Magic Johnson thinks they've been playing soft. I just checked on line and Kobe had about 24 pts. mid-way in the 3rd period and no other starter had more than 4! That's not a championship team.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Man can those commentator have there tongue any farther up Kobe's Ass ? Jezz they sound like they are the head of his fan club.
they're commentators...thats what they do, they pick the best player of the game and they talk about them...besides, when they were in boston, they should have checked for polyps on paul pierce, they were so far up his ass

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And in contrast, I was born and raised a Lakers fan, but that ended when Phil Jackson took over. I can't stand that dude.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
How is it a choke when they lose to the better team? Choke is what the Patriots o-line did in the Super Bowl. Too bad too cause we could have had all 3 of the biggest championships in Boston.
If blowing the biggest lead in NBA Finals history, at home, isn't a 'choke' I don't know what is.

Playing like ****, which is what the Pats did in the super bowl, is not choking. That's called getting beaten.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
If blowing the biggest lead in NBA Finals history, at home, isn't a 'choke' I don't know what is.

Playing like ****, which is what the Pats did in the super bowl, is not choking. That's called getting beaten.
It wasn't the biggest blown lead in NBA finals history, and the Patriots choked like Pam Anderson on that boat.