Lance Armstrong, auto racer?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:dancing:

Lance Armstrong, auto racer?
Agence France Presse | April 28, 2005

American Lance Armstrong's retirement from competition could be short-lived -though his next potential adventure may be on four wheels instead of two.

The six-time Tour de France winner is bidding for a seventh yellow jersey in the July 2-24 race, after which he will retire from cycling.

However, the 33-year-old Texan has been offered the chance to compete in the Dakar Rally, which will be held next January, alongside NASCAR driver Robbie Gordon.

"I received an e-mail from Robbie Gordon two months ago offering me the chance to drive car number three in the next Paris-Dakar," Armstrong said in an interview with French cycling magazine Velo.

"I get propositions like this all the time, and it could be an interesting program for Discovery, added Armstrong, who last year signed a two-year deal with the Discovery Channel.

Armstrong, who recovered from cancer in 1998 and went on to win his first yellow jersey a year later, also said during the interview that after retiring from the sport he would spend more time working to help cancer sufferers.

"I'm still part of the commission that was set up by President Bush and I'm still involved in the fight against cancer worldwide. There's also my work for Discovery ... we're going to come up with a few ideas, write scripts and start filming.

"I also have to spend a bit of time on the investments I've made over the years... and I wouldn't mind spending a bit more time perfecting my surfing," added Armstrong, who is said to be passionate about surfing and motorbiking.

The interview with Armstrong was held on April 23, five days after he announced his retirement from the sport once he has finished this year's Tour de France.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Echo said:
You would think he would at least team up with someone who knows how to turn right.
Robbie Gordon is an a$$. but he certainly knows something about turning in multiple directions. He excels on road courses, has raced off road forever and been very successful at it. (6 SCORE offroad championships and the Baja 1000 twice plus winning a stage in the Dakar this year).

Lastly get over the whole left turn only thing its lame.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
DRB said:
Robbie Gordon is an a$$. but he certainly knows something about turning in multiple directions. He excels on road courses, has raced off road forever and been very successful at it. (6 SCORE offroad championships and the Baja 1000 twice plus winning a stage in the Dakar this year).

Lastly get over the whole left turn only thing its lame.
He excels at crashing on road courses. He got into NASCAR because he was such a miserable failure at CART. I guess he thought it would be easier if he only had to turn in one direction. He is a pretty darn good off road racer though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, Robby Gordon won the first stage of the Dakar Rally, I think an American first, and he finished top 15, which is pretty impressive that anyone even finishes...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
merrrrjig said:
Lance should race trophy trucks and ride mountainbikes!
He tried. Tour de Rockies after his first TDF win. He had a miserable time at it. There was a 32mile point to point stage that lost some huge elevation, basically a 32 mile super D. There was excellent helicopter footage of Lance ragdolling down the mountain every 20 feet of trail! He dropped out mid stage. Poor guy, wins he most prestegious road race in the world and just gets worked in the dirt. :nopity:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Didn't he enter a NORBA national XC race once, destroy everyone on the climbs, walk the tech sections, and still finish on the podium?