Quantcast

Lance Armstrong racing mountain bikes...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yep, it's true. Didn't know where to post this little nugget of awesome, but I wanted to share with the group and I don't normally visit the Cross Country forum, plus I thought you guys might dig it...

Got an email this morning from the director of our local race series Mountain States Cup that Lance Armstrong will be racing Pro XC this weekend at Blast the Mass, which is the Colorado State Championships!

I've heard he's really hungry for UCI points these days, plus looking for a good "cool down" race after Le Tour. And after getting a good look at the State Champ jersey I guess it sealed the deal. I think he was overheard mumbling something about "darn yellow leader's jersey just don't have no STYLE... but that Colorado jersey is SWEET..." or something to that effect. Plus, since he's a part-time Aspen resident he figured why not line up against some local talent and give 'er a go.

That last bit was totally fabricated, but it's pretty nifty to hear he's racing this weekend. I wonder if Ned Overend and Dave Weins are coming out as well?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pretty cool.

Imagine being in good enough shape that you have to do an MTB race to "cool down".

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Will be interesting coming off the form he had in the Tour, you would think he would devastate the field if he chose to, I guess the best strategy would be to sit back and let the race unfold until near the finish though.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Probably a mtb tune up for the Leadville 100...which I think he is racing....pretty cool either way!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lance racing mtb's isn't much of anything new... a few years back I was watching a short track race on tv (from who knows where) and he was in the short track event.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
tell him that if he crashes and it out of points contention, to not ride against the flow to the race so he can quit with a dnf. HE did that at a race many moons ago in socal. that's when I lost all resepct for him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
tell him that if he crashes and it out of points contention, to not ride against the flow to the race so he can quit with a dnf. HE did that at a race many moons ago in socal. that's when I lost all resepct for him.
You lost "all respect" for the greatest cyclist of all time because he rode a track backward after a crash?

Im sure he's heartbroken.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh boy, more Lance ass kissing.
Hey whatevs... no a$s kissing here, friend. Just a little stoke for our regional series to be getting some "super star bow chicka bow bow" treatment so to speak. If Bronson Pinchot showed up to your Bah Mitzvah I'm sure you'd feel the same way! :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's just Lance doing what is best for Lance.

A philosophy you've recently espoused, I believe...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Some of my buddies were riding a local trail. They are grinding up a huge climb and some guy in full discovery channel gear blows past them.

They're thinking "lance wannabe" as he goes past. Then they realize who it is.

Jul 8, 2009
I never knew he raced mtn bikes...Are these XC courses pretty easy from a technical standpoint?

He should do some downhill!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some of my buddies were riding a local trail. They are grinding up a huge climb and some guy in full discovery channel gear blows past them.

They're thinking "lance wannabe" as he goes past. Then they realize who it is.
Are you sure that wasn't Loco going downhill so slow it looked like he was going uphill really fast?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Lance has been doing the MTB thing for awhile. I believe he has a condo in Aspen, he did one of the local Aspen races either last year or the year before.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I never knew he raced mtn bikes...Are these XC courses pretty easy from a technical standpoint?

He should do some downhill!
Hes been racing mtb for many years. Lost a shoe in the mud at Mt snow a few years back. Think that was his last mtb run before going full bore TDF.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Texan takes Colorado cross country race

Lance Armstrong showed his versatility by taking the victory in the professional men's cross country race at Colorado's "Blast the Mass" mountain bike race in Snowmass, Colorado on Saturday. He won by more than three minutes over local mountain bike pro Joe Henry.

Armstrong is no stranger to the dirt, having made his comeback to competitive cycling last summer in the Leadville Trail 100. The regional off-road pros hoped to have advantage on the technical 23-mile course that featured 4700 feet of climbing, but were no match for the seven-time Tour de France champion.

"Believe it or not, Lance is actually great on his mountain bike, even on a technical course," said Henry, the Mountain States Cup series leader, before the event.

"Assuming he has good fitness after coming off of the Tour, he's do just fine. I think, however, being the State Championships, the Colorado guys have got to pick it up a bit and certainly not let a Texan beat them."

Armstrong's attendance at the regional mountain bike events have given them a big boost in importance.

"It's great when he comes out and attends these races. It brings attentions and a lot more respect. He doesn't walk away with victory, he is battling for it. It proves the legitamacy of mountain biking," said Henry.

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
people there were sayin that he was going to race DH... too bad i was sick or I would have gone but after looking at my cat's results there were only 4 people so watever. Not that big of a fan of lance anyways