Quantcast

Lance off to good start (OLN spoiler content)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Wow, talk about some exciting time trial action on OLN this morning. Second place Time Trial finish from lance to Cancellara by like 1.65 seconds. He really put on quite the show. Hamilton finished 17th, Ullrich 15th. Stage one starts tomorrow!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
That was an amazing start to the tour! I think if lance would have risked it just a bit more on that one sorta sketchy corner he would have had it for sure. Oh well I guess theres no sence in risking it that much expecially since he allready proved to his real competition that he is in great form!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
heikkihall said:
That was an amazing start to the tour! I think if lance would have risked it just a bit more on that one sorta sketchy corner he would have had it for sure. Oh well I guess theres no sence in risking it that much expecially since he allready proved to his real competition that he is in great form!
I agree...why risk it. He'll crush them in the Mtns. anyway!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I bet Johan told him to ease up. No sense trying to defend the yellow for the first 10 days anyways, that's just extra wear and tear on the team.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
McGRP01 said:
I agree...why risk it. He'll crush them in the Mtns. anyway!
Well some of the guys he needs to really worry about could actually be considered better climbers than himself. Especially the likes of Iban Mayo and Roberto Heras. Although they did not have extrordinary time trials today they could potentially put a considerable ammount of time into him in the mountains. His real true threats in my opinion though are hamilton and ullrich. both can time trial with the best of them and stay right with lance for most of the climbs. Winning today and risking just a hair more could prove to be a huge help in a weeks time. Well see how it plays out I cant wait.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
wow how's that for timing, i missed most of the racing this morning because of work. I saw the pre-race coverage for a bit but that just didnt do it for me, got home after work and dinner and after turning on OLN, wham there is lance coming in second, glad they replay this stuff but i agree he looked strong, it should be a good tour but i am skeptical (sp?) he will win his 6th, hes going to have to fight, for 6 years everyone's been chasing him.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
gastrocnemius said:
Is Phil Liggett blind or what? The footage clearly showed that one guy catching his inside pedal (the video guys even highlighted it) and Phil said "no telling what made him fall."
I didn't notice he hit a pedal until you pointed it out :)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I noticed that right when I saw him crash. Phil kept saying how he went in too fast into the corner and his rear wheel lost traction. You could obviously see that both of his wheels got practially lifted away from the ground because he tried to throw in a few pedal strokes to early out of the corner. I hate when that happens, i nearly took a spill in a crit doing that once and it was one of the scariest moments in bike racing ive ever had.