Lance's Livestrong Trek

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Is this for real?

from CNN...

"Eye-catching in the bright yellow shirt he works so hard for, Armstrong donned a golden cycling helmet for a relaxed roll past sun-baked fields of wheat and applauding spectators into Paris from Montereau in the southeast. He rode a $10,000, carbon-fiber, gold-leaf bike, which Trek will sell in stores later this year."

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Anyone got info on his Alp d'Huez TT bike? I hear that things redicilously light and had almost every part hit with the carbon stick.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Tashi said:
Anyone got info on his Alp d'Huez TT bike? I hear that things redicilously light and had almost every part hit with the carbon stick.
I know that it came in under weight by a few grams and that they had to add weight to it to make it legal to ride.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
El Jefe said:
I know that it came in under weight by a few grams and that they had to add weight to it to make it legal to ride.
It was funny watching the offical weigh it and the USPS yelling at him to put it on the scale and try again :)

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
It semed that alot of guys wre running their levers that way this year, is this some kinda trend these days?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Tashi said:
It semed that alot of guys wre running their levers that way this year, is this some kinda trend these days?
There's a blurb on the velonews.com tech notes page on this. They say its in reaction to the trend towards compact frames with shorter head tubes that have necessitated that levers be mounted higher on the bar to gain the right fit. Frankly I thought it was BS. I think its ergonomics relating to the placement of the brake/shifter lever on DuraAce relative to the hoods. Take a look at some of the guys riding Campy levers and they don't look nearly as weird.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Tenchiro said:
Damn, 10 grand... I wonder how much is going to his charity?
$10k is a mind boggling sum of money for a bicycle but it's not unprecedented. The De Rosa Cinquanta runs between $10-11k depending on the wheelset chosen for it.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
wooglin said:
There's a blurb on the velonews.com tech notes page on this. They say its in reaction to the trend towards compact frames with shorter head tubes that have necessitated that levers be mounted higher on the bar to gain the right fit. Frankly I thought it was BS. I think its ergonomics relating to the placement of the brake/shifter lever on DuraAce relative to the hoods. Take a look at some of the guys riding Campy levers and they don't look nearly as weird.
i'm with you. i heard (lbs gossip) next years dura ace shifter will have a less concave hood. campy's are pretty flat, which is a why they don't look so goofy. they don't have to be run so high on the bar to be ergonomic.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
BigMike said:
Why is there a restriction?
Further to the decision taken and published in February 1999, the International Cycling Union (UCI) wishes to specify that, in its concern to protect equal chances and the primacy of man over machine in cycling races, its Management Committee has decided to limit the minimum weight of bicycles in competitions (road, track and cyclo-cross) to 6.800 kg from 1st January 2000.

Being aware of the potential dangers and problems posed by a loss of control over the technical aspects of cycling, the UCI Management Committee has today, Tuesday 8th October, taken a number of measures here in Lugano.

In doing so, the UCI wishes to recall that the real meaning of cycle sport is to bring riders together to compete on an equal footing and thereby decide which of them is physically the best.

The features which have contributed to the world-wide development and spread of the bicycle are its extraordinary simplicity, cost-effectiveness and ease of use. From a sociological point of view, as a utilitarian and recreational means of transport, the bicycle has given its users a sense of freedom and helped create a movement which has led to the considerable renown and popular success which cycle sport enjoys. The bicycle serves to express the effort of the cyclist, but there is more to it than that. The bicycle is also a historical phenomenon, and it is this history which underpins the whole culture behind the technical object.

If we forget that the technology used is subordinate to the project itself, and not the reverse, we cross the line beyond which technology takes hold of the system and seeks to impose its own logic. That is the situation facing us today. New prototypes can be developed because they do not have to take into account constraints such as safety, a comfortable riding position, accessibility of the controls, manoeuvrability of the machine, etc. The bicycle is losing its "user-friendliness" and distancing itself from a reality which can be grasped and understood. Priority is increasingly given to form. The performance achieved depends more on the form of the man-machine ensemble than the physical qualities of the rider, and this goes against the very meaning of cycle sport.

The many effects of this rush to extremes risk damaging the sport of cycling. These include spiralling costs, unequal access to technology, radical innovations prepared in secret, a fait accompli policy, damage to the image of cycle sport and the credibility of performances and the advent of a technocratic form of cycling where power is concentrated in the hands of a few powerful players, to the detriment of the universality of the sport on which its future and continued development depend.
http://www.uci.ch/english/news/news_pre2000/comm_19990611.htm

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wumpus said:
Further to the decision taken and published in February 1999, the International Cycling Union (UCI) wishes to specify that, in its concern to protect equal chances and the primacy of man over machine in cycling races, its Management Committee has decided to limit the minimum weight of bicycles in competitions (road, track and cyclo-cross) to 6.800 kg from 1st January 2000.

Cool, Thanks :cool:

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
loco-gringo said:
That's the first time I have seen a King headset on Lance's bike.
Take a look back, Lance has rocked a King for as long as I can remember. What did you think he'd run a Cane Creek headset that the Trek OCLV's come with? :nope:

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Wumpus said:

I had no idea that track bikes were restricted. I just think it's interesting because it's easy to make a sub-15lb. track bike, there's less parts. ex. my friend has a 12.5lb cannondale track bike, and it had aluminum rims.