Quantcast

Land Rover Owners?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Sadly Defenders are still pricey, but older Discoverys are cheap and I've never owned one.

Will something like this turn into a money pit?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Take whatever bad stuff you've heard about German cars, multiply it by 12, and you have English automobiles.

Run. Away. Fast.

On a more factual level...reliability on them is extremely hit and miss (mostly miss?). It seems like it depends on who was working that day at the LR factory. If you can find one without a lot of miles (but not too low, either) and full maintenance records, you might get off easy. Your best bet is probably from a LR enthusiast of some sort - they're not the kind of car I'd buy used from the general public.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
From what I have heard from a friend who has one if you don't mind fixing your own oil leaks and electrical problems it isn't that bad.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had one. My trailing arm disconnected at around 45.
Flippidity flip flip.

Wasn't much fun.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just say no to their automatic transmission....

I'd reduce/gut the electricals to headlights/turn signals/ bare necessities...painless wiring kit

Basically a 4WD to beat the sh*t out of.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I had a Defender identical to this one:

In a word, 'spartan'. Great for a farm vehicle, not so good as a normal vehicle. As big as it looks, I had to take the front wheels off the bikes to fit them in.

Then I got a Discovery like this:

Nice vehicle. It took 3 dh bikes standing up, both wheels still on. It drove nicely, was good on fuel and could be taken anywhere. Good offroader.
But yeah, it had a few mechanical problems. When I got rid of it, it was stuck in dif-lock, the drivers side door could only be opened from the inside and the passenger door could only be opened from the outside.
It was till a cool vehicle though and I still see it being driven around locally.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
In a word, 'spartan'. Great for a farm vehicle, not so good as a normal vehicle. As big as it looks, I had to take the front wheels off the bikes to fit them in.
Defenders are used a lot as farm / vineyard vehicles in Germany. Spartan and tight inside were my first two impressions. Unstoppable was my third.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In some countries (I forget if it was in Africa or South America) there are companies that combine LR chassis with toyota drivetrains - seems like a good combo.

don on the forums has a D90.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80/100 would be a more reliable alternative.

My younger brother loves his.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80/100 would be a more reliable alternative.

My younger brother loves his.
True.

It is strange in those countries since you can just get a Land Cruiser instead but used cars don't lose much value, parts are harder to get, and labor is dirt cheap so I guess that's why they do the conversions.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
lived with a kid who had a fully loaded brand new disco that was constantly in the shop and the engine seized after a few months (engine block cracked or something along those lines and when he started it up, boom)

another roommate 2 years ago bought a used disco with high mileage (double idiot move, he wanted it for the status symbol it provided, thing was ugly as ****, dented, beat up, and didnt work from the start) over the course of its life, he still has it btw, it only the drivers door and passengers rear door open, the window is permanently stuck down on the drivers door, the lights randomly turn into disco balls. also the engine went through oil like it was nothing, a quart every 2 days or so.

i say run.

if i had a bunch of money, 4 nice nice cars, and one suv and a pick up i might get a range rover just b/c they are so nice when they are running, but worthless to have as your only car

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Much as I think Discoveries and Defenders are cool, I'd definitely get a 'yota land cruiser instead...

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Here's my old Cruiser. This had three times as many miles on it (210,000) than my old discovery, and it had less minor problems than it too. I still have this but unfortunately like so many old 'yotas its frame is rusted pretty much beyond repair and it won't pass inspection. One more year and it's and antique and it won't have to anymore though.

Great vehicles if you can find one with a solid frame.The six cylinder in this actually had more power than that underpowered 4.0 in the LR.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Much as I think Discoveries and Defenders are cool, I'd definitely get a 'yota land cruiser instead...
Amen. While the Land Rovers are good, there's a reason the "cruiser", as it is affectionately known, has been the choice vehicle in Africa since the mid 70's. It is amazing, we on our second and know many farmers who run 8 land cruisers and change them out every two years and wont switch to anything else. My Dads first cruiser hauled 1 ton in the bin and 2 tons on the trailer for 400 000km over 3 years and never faultered. The new ones are built for work with very hard suspension but if you put softer springs in along with "old man emu" shocks and air bag springs(same as the ones lorrys or what ever you guys call em use they are much better:thumb: Nothing better than a "bakkie"(pick up) with a twin turbo v8 4.5 liter diesel that pushes 600nm of torque and 250kw.

I've got a power point slide I think you guys might find interesting, anyone know how i can post it up?

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I drive an LC at work these days, but I've been getting to use the boss's Prado model lately. As wussified as I first thought it was, it's growing on me. Maybe that's why I drove it to have the tips of my hair frosted the other day while I sucked down a latte.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Dont buy a Land Rover. I bought a Disco II, swapped Dana 60s onto it and 4-linked it front and rear. Spent around 20K ****ing around with the 4 wheeling hobby only to realize that riding is more fun. If you want a good SUV buy a Land Cruiser. If you want an addiction worse than crack get a Rover.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Sterling 10.5" Rear End, Double Triangulated 4-link

D60 Front End

As it sits today, raped of parts waiting for a buyer

Sorry but I dont have any good pics of it on this computer and thats all i've got on photobucket