Quantcast

Landed in Berkeley...need some trail knowledge...

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Hey guys,

I just moved to Berkeley and am in dire need of some good trailidge. I live across the street from UCB and would like to know if there are any sweet trails within reasonable riding distance (or even driving) from my location. Im looking for some good dh/fr/am riding.

:banana:

THANKS!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well, there is a trail that doesn't exist that comes down into berkeley. pm me for details, but it is a pretty fun imaginary rip on a dh or fr bike. there are also trails up in the oakland hills, joaquin miller park to be specific.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
ill be at juaquin miller tomorrow around 5 pm. look for a vp free and iron horse 7 pt. or give me a ring and will hook up. five one zero three eigth six zero one six zero

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
There is a trail in Berkeley that we can't talk about here. Legally there is some good riding in Joaquin Miller. I live near the top of JM, PM me if you want to ride.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
There is a trail in Berkeley that we can't talk about here. Legally there is some good riding in Joaquin Miller. I live near the top of JM, PM me if you want to ride.
What are the fines like these days for poaching up there anyway?

Not that anyone here on RM would ever, ever poach a trail...

I recall the fines being like $200 or more for riding illegal single track?

I moved out to Santa Rosa a few years ago where they understand that single track is an important nutrient in the mountina bike diet.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
What are the fines like these days for poaching up there anyway?

Not that anyone here on RM would ever, ever poach a trail...

I recall the fines being like $200 or more for riding illegal single track?

I moved out to Santa Rosa a few years ago where they understand that single track is an important nutrient in the mountina bike diet.
I don't know what they are in Berkley, but some friends recently got nailed in Marin for ~$170 each. My biggest fear is encountering overagressive hikers, not rangers. I'm more worried about how I would react to someone grabbing my bars and getting in my face. Too damn political and things get blown out of proportion.

A lot of it really depends on when you ride. Not so much where. If you pick your times and are polite, your generally fine. I've yet to have an issue even on notoriously "hot" trails.

And yea, Santa Rosa is the $h!t when it comes to long, fun, legal, singletrack.