Quantcast

Landis concedes career may be over...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11346.0.html

American Floyd Landis, who is expected to be stripped of the Tour de France yellow jersey for testing positive after this year's race, said Saturday his cycling career may be practically over.

Landis won the race in spectacular fashion this year to succeed his now-retired compatriot Lance Armstrong, the iconic seven-time winner of the world's biggest bike race.

However days after his triumph it emerged that Landis had tested positive for the banned male sex hormone testosterone after his spectacular victory on stage 17, which resurrected his bid for the yellow jersey.

Landis, who grew up in a strict Mennonite Christian community in Pennsylvania, has always protested his innocence. And while weighing up his future, he told the Belgian press that even if he

is cleared by an American arbitration body early in the new year, he will likely miss the coming season.

"There's a minute chance of me racing again in 2007," the 31-year-old is reported as saying in Belgian dailies Het Laatste Nieuws and Het Gazet van Antwerpen. "Even if I'm not suspended, who will want to sign me?"

Landis's positive test prompted his former team, Phonak, to pull out of cycling. Their place in cycling's Pro Tour series was on Friday awarded to Swedish-Belgian outfit Unibet.

"And if they suspend me for two or four years - a humiliation which I hope doesn't happen - it's over for me." he added. "As things stand now, I don't see myself as a bike racer."

Landis has claimed that inconsistencies by the French laboratory which analyzed his samples led to his positive result.

And he claims he is now fighting for his personal reputation, and not just his career.

"I've never taken testosterone, I would have been stupid to because you just can't get away with it (in doping tests)," he said. "What it comes down to is that I'm being accused of stupidity more than

doping."

If found guilty, Landis would be the first rider in the modern era to be stripped of the Tour de France's yellow jersey. In the event, it will be handed to his former teammate Oscar Pereiro of Spain.

"Even if I'm proved innocent, my reputation is ruined," he lamented.

Ahead of the festive season, Landis - whose father-in-law committed suicide, in still unclear circumstances, not long after the news of his positive test became public - said he wants a simple wish for Christmas.

"To have a day without any worries," he said. "This whole affair has ruined my life. My father-in-law committed suicide. There must be a link to what happened.

He was my best friend and my biggest supporter."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm annoyed by this sports "guilty until we decide otherwise and even then, we'll still fvck you over."

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I blame Barry Bonds and MLB in general for the guilty until proven innocent attitude. MLB's decades of tolerance to drug use and lack of effective testing set the stage. Barry Bond, and the other MLB players using and flaunting it, the public just assumes players accused are guilty In this case I think landis is innocent, and the lab is a bunch of putzs.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...the public just assumes players accused are guilty.
I'm not talking about the public, I'm talking about teams and the main organization, regardless of sport.

In this sport tho, teams won't hire Floyd and Disco is banned from select meetings cuz they hired a suspected doper in Basso. That's fvcking retarded... and that's not the public but the people behind the scenes who are calling the not-proven suspects of being guilty, so the public can't help but assume.

Guilty, ban. Otherwise they should stfu.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Please don't give up Floyd. As devastating and powerful as this tragedy has been, I believe you can overcome it. I wouldn't be surprised if the industry and public's response has repulsed you to the point of not wanting to ever get on a bike again, but I hope that's not the case. I would like to see you back on it. I would like to see you clear your name, and put on trial the people and organizations that started and perpetuated the hype that left you feeling the way you feel now. And must also have made your father-in-law feel that he would take his own life. (With my deepest condonlences.)

Mob mentality can be a powerful horrifying beast, don't let it take your heart and soul too.

It might seem at the moment that no team will ever sponsor you again or that the public will always view you as a criminal, but I feel certain you can turn it around. Please don't let the forces of evil win.

http://www.cannondalecommunity.com/the-cut-riders/chrisv/default.asp?item=192459

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I'm not talking about the public, I'm talking about teams and the main organization, regardless of sport.

In this sport tho, teams won't hire Floyd and Disco is banned from select meetings cuz they hired a suspected, that was cleared in court, doper in Basso. That's fvcking retarded... and that's not the public but the people behind the scenes who are calling the not-proven suspects of being guilty, so the public can't help but assume.

Guilty, ban. Otherwise they should stfu.

There, fixed

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Please don't give up Floyd. As devastating and powerful as this tragedy has been, I believe you can overcome it. I wouldn't be surprised if the industry and public's response has repulsed you to the point of not wanting to ever get on a bike again, but I hope that's not the case. I would like to see you back on it. I would like to see you clear your name, and put on trial the people and organizations that started and perpetuated the hype that left you feeling the way you feel now. And must also have made your father-in-law feel that he would take his own life. (With my deepest condonlences.)

Mob mentality can be a powerful horrifying beast, don't let it take your heart and soul too.

It might seem at the moment that no team will ever sponsor you again or that the public will always view you as a criminal, but I feel certain you can turn it around. Please don't let the forces of evil win.

http://www.cannondalecommunity.com/the-cut-riders/chrisv/default.asp?item=192459

Well said Terry.