Quantcast

Landis Tests Positive!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
More:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CYC_FLOYD_LANDIS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-07-27-10-20-23

Tour De France Winner Flunks Drug Test

LONDON (AP) -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team said Thursday.

The statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

The Swiss-based Phonak said in a statement on it Web site that it was notified by the UCI Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the statement said.

Phonak said Landis would ask for analysis of his backup "B" sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

Landis has been suspended pending the results. If the second sample confirms the initial finding, he will be fired from the team, Phonak said.

Landis won the Tour de France on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping whispers and reports that he has vehemently denied, won the previous seven.

Speculation that Landis may have tested positive had spread earlier Thursday after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders - including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso - were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
can someone tell me why they don't find stuff like this out until after its over and done with and someone has won already? I don't know anything about testing or doping strategy.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We've got four threads going on this....this one, one in the DH forum, and two in the roadie forum. Someone needs to start one in the food forum. :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
It could explain his heroic ride:

German doctor Kurt Moosburger, who has looked after Jörg Jaksche (among others) for the past two years, has told dpa that he believes that performance enhancing drugs are "indispensable" for high level cycling

In a frank interview, Moosburger pointed to the average speeds of modern professional races, especially hard tours. "The average in last year's Tour was 41 kilometres per hour - that is incredible. You can do a hard Alpine stage without doping. But after that, the muscles are exhausted. You need - depending on your training conditions - up to three days in order to regenerate."

To help recover, testosterone and human growth hormone can be used. "Both are made by the body and are therefore natural substances," he said. "They help to build muscle as well as in muscle recovery."

Dr Moosburger explained how it was done. "You put a standard testosterone patch that is used for male hormone replacement therapy on your scrotum and leave it there for about six hours. The small dose is not sufficient to produce a positive urine result in the doping test, but the body actually recovers faster."

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jonKranked said:
i could never take some named "Dr Moosburger" seriously :p
Nor could I, "put a standard testosterone patch that is used for male hormone replacement therapy on your scrotum and leave it there for about six hours."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
We've got four threads going on this....this one, one in the DH forum, and two in the roadie forum. Someone needs to start one in the food forum. :D
No one goes into those obscure areas of RM much so it ain't Newz until it's in the Lounge!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
laura said:
can someone tell me why they don't find stuff like this out until after its over and done with and someone has won already? I don't know anything about testing or doping strategy.
he won the 17th stage so he's a mandatory testee. "IF" he is doping he either:
1. was taking all along and with his body working perfectly was administered the right combination to slip under the radar
2. was talking all along BUT with his body all screwed up from the day before sent his system out of whack and therefore sent up a flag
3. too big of a dose because of the day before and didn’t listen when everybody told him to stay out of the top 3

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
this is turning into a very nascaresque type situation.

fans crying and moaning because their favorite driver/rider didn't win.
and it had to be because the other guy was cheating/doping.

and so many rules and regulations, that nobody could possibly know all the ins and outs of what's legal/quasi legal/illegal.

both governing bodies, nascar/uci are currently doing more to tear their respective sports apart from the inside out.
(oh wait, i guess we can throw norba/usa cycling in the mix too.)

Munster

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Eastern Canada
jonKranked said:
i could never take some named "Dr Moosburger" seriously :p
A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse
with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given
her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and
star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo
Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst