Quantcast

Landscaping your yard

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Better Homes and Pump Tracks
November 14th, 2005

Does mowing the lawn make you yawn? Are the daisies making you crazy? Well, forget all that and turn your yard into something fun and useful: a pump track. We recently transformed a back yard here in Boulder, and I must say it came out nice.

More...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am doing something like that, but all wooden stunts. My wife would kill me (as would my landlord) if I dug up the grass, so I am building over it to be torn out in the spring.

I start work this weekend and should be done in a few weekends. I'll post picks.

That is great though, I wish I could do that!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
Where in SoCal are you going to buy a house with a 40x50 yard?!?!?

Wait - did you win the lottery!
Well I didn't say WHERE I wanted to buy a house now did I?

40 feet X 50 feet isn't that big.You can find houses on lots like that in riverside and San Berdoo counties. Look for horse properties.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Ciaran said:
Well I didn't say WHERE I wanted to buy a house now did I?

40 feet X 50 feet isn't that big.You can find houses on lots like that in riverside and San Berdoo counties. Look for horse properties.
I'd say that's about an average size backyard for a normal suburban Colorado house. Seems like Lee definitely took advantage of it, probably one of the coolest guys I kinda know. :p

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My neighbors are SO bummed when we buy the house we're renting.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I pitched the idea to my wife yesterday to convert our side lot that is about 60x180. She didn't say no. I'll be laying something out soon, just have 4 large trees to avoid is all.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Full Trucker said:
Totally. Lee is a friend of mine here in Colorado... stand up guy, that Lee I tell ya.
Lee's definitely one of the coolest guys I've met at the races and what not. (Evan maybe you can get me in on that awesome pumptrack action ;) )

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I might have to do something like that to my yard. Hope the weather stays nice enough to get something built. Tony, you gonna be in Boulder anytime? Help me build!

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Ciaran said:
Uh.. that's only 2,000 square feet. You'll need much more room than that for horses.

Even Orange County's got plenty of houses with backyards that size!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm a pretty mellow, nice guy but I freaking HATE pump tracks and the people that ride them....:nuts:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
rooftest said:
Uh.. that's only 2,000 square feet. You'll need much more room than that for horses.

Even Orange County's got plenty of houses with backyards that size!
Well the article said the TRACK was 40 X 50. I should have clarified... you can find a place with a lot that has enough free space in the back yard for a 40 X 50 foot track.

but yeah, you need alot more than 200 square feet of land to have horses.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
pnj said:
I'm a pretty mellow, nice guy but I freaking HATE pump tracks and the people that ride them....:nuts:
haha yeah if you have space just make some DJ's...and "pump" those, throw in some berms and then...more jumps..
i can't wait to own a house/yard(acres hopefully)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I know someone who moved to a gated community, and he wants to build some jumps in his backyard. His wife insists it is attractive, so he is planning on bringing in a landscaper/jump builder. If it ever gets done, I hope to have pics...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
sanjuro said:
Well, I know someone who moved to a gated community, and he wants to build some jumps in his backyard. His wife insists it is attractive, so he is planning on bringing in a landscaper/jump builder. If it ever gets done, I hope to have pics...

The question is, will the Home owners Association allow them to keep the jumps?

Hopefully they won't make them tear the jumps down.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sanjuro said:
He might want to check with the homeowners' association first. Typically, most homeowners' associations are impossible to deal with; most of the members are on power trips. I hate to say this, but it probably won't fly.

On the other hand, he SHOULD be able to do whatever he wants to the backyard of his own home...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Joe Pozer said:
The question is, will the Home owners Association allow them to keep the jumps?

Hopefully they won't make them tear the jumps down.
He and I had this discussion. For one thing, it is his backyard, and this technically is no different than putting in some new bushes and trees.

On the other hand, he might be the richest person in the Cul-De-Sac, so that is helpful.