Quantcast

Landscaping?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
(motorcycles, landscaping, boobies... sorry, this is the only place I post with any sort of regularity, so y'all get all of me :) )

We're gonna tear up the backyard, lay down sod on one half, a garden on the other half.

I'm leaning towards an underground water sprinkler system, but at least above ground... obviously before we plant stuff.

I'm ignorant, any suggestions, any good reading material you've come across, any pitfalls to avoid?

TIA!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
(motorcycles, landscaping, boobies... sorry, this is the only place I post with any sort of regularity, so y'all get all of me :) )

We're gonna tear up the backyard, lay down sod on one half, a garden on the other half.

I'm leaning towards an underground water sprinkler system, but at least above ground... obviously before we plant stuff.

I'm ignorant, any suggestions, any good reading material you've come across, any pitfalls to avoid?

TIA!
You can do it yourself for about 1/2 the cost of a pro installer... however, it will take you a lot longer and more frustration. Home Depot/Lowes can do a layout and a material list for you.

Don't know about there, but here you will have to have a back flow preventer no matter what though and usually a licesed plumber will have to hook that up.

Also, if you want the water sprinkler on a sperate meter from you house (so you don't have to pay sewage etc) then a licensed plumber will have to do the tap too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think you should build an undergound system of trails in tunnels. Then, in the morning, you could just ride down from the basement.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
N8 said:
You can do it yourself for about 1/2 the cost of a pro installer... however, it will take you a lot longer and more frustration.
That's ok, I like home improvement projects and if I do it and learn about it, then when something happens, I'm better prepared to fix it.

N8 said:
Home Depot/Lowes can do a layout and a material list for you.
Cool.

N8 said:
Don't know about there, but here you will have to have a back flow preventer no matter what though and usually a licesed plumber will have to hook that up.

Also, if you want the water sprinkler on a sperate meter from you house (so you don't have to pay sewage etc) then a licensed plumber will have to do the tap too.
Good to know, maybe I should find a plumber before I start the project. Would they be annoyed that I only want them to do the licensed stuff and I'll do the rest?

How would I get it on a seperate meter? How long before I see a return on the investment for the seperate meter?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
Opie, get yourself a garden hose and a sprinkler. Its your back yard.
as dry as it is here, the yard will have to be watered a lot... I'll just put the system on a timer :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If your tearing up the yard, put in the spinkler system then you can set it to water at night/very early morning when evaporation and usually the wind are at their lowest.

I built my flower beds with sandy loam. Easy for the roots to get through and easy to dig in. Plus, they are raised so they drain good.

Do find a native plant list and plant stuff that is drought tolerant for the area -- xeriscaping. Special plants with unusual water/care requirements are a pain in the ass.

Don't buy your plants from Lowes/Home Depot. Find some local nurseries. I'm not anti Lowes, but I use to be a grower for a large whoesale nursery, and the big box stores want large quantities for ridiculously low cost. The quality of plants from a local nursery are usually superior and worth any additional cost.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus said:
If your tearing up the yard, put in the spinkler system then you can set it to water at night...
exactly.

Thanks for the link and yeah, we'll use local growers :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Here's a list of trees and shrubs --> http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07229.html

Make sure you do your research on trees before planting. Just because one is popular, doesn't make it good. If you plant a crappy tree, it will take decades for a replacement to fill back in.

Note -- when you set up your watering, you want it to put down about an inch of water per watering. Water deep and infrequently. Watering often and shallow will produce plants and grass with shallow roots that will be easily damaged if you get a stretch of harsh weather.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
Good to know, maybe I should find a plumber before I start the project. Would they be annoyed that I only want them to do the licensed stuff and I'll do the rest?

How would I get it on a seperate meter? How long before I see a return on the investment for the seperate meter?
I'd talk to your local building inspections office about who can do what as far as a plumber goes.

The return on investment on a seperate meter depends on how much the sewage rates and all the other additives that are included in a residential meter charge.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When I lived in AZ we put a sprinkler system in the backyard of the house we were living in. It was easy. Well, actually all the digging was a pain in the arse so we hired Mexicans to do it. The laying of pipe and construction of the system was easy.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
It was easy. Well, actually all the digging was a pain in the arse so we hired Mexicans to do it.
Look at you, perpetuating the madness after all... No wonder you hate America, you live in F'ing AZ.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Building and maintaining a traditional yard and garden in your area is socially unconscionable. How can you justify adding to the pending ecological disaster that will happen when Colorado finally runs out of water? Be like Sante Fe... cactus, scrub and sage are low maintenance and Green Peace approved. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Serial Midget said:
Building and maintaining a traditional yard and garden in your area is socially unconscionable. How can you justify adding to the pending ecological disaster that will happen when Colorado finally runs out of water? Be like Sante Fe... cactus, scrub and sage are low maintenance and Green Peace approved. :thumb:
Frikkin' hippy. :rolleyes:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
LordOpie said:
as dry as it is here, the yard will have to be watered a lot... I'll just put the system on a timer :)
I've got a nice programable Hunter set up for mine, where you can chose when & how long to water each zone. You can amke different programs to select for different conditions.
Oh, and it has a remote control. I love wetting squirels & neighborhood kids who dare to venture onto my lawn....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Serial Midget said:
:stupid:
You live in a desert. Do the San Luis Valley a favor and don't drain the Arkansas. All the hot rafting/kayaking chicks will thank you :clue:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
here's the ironic part of water conservation... Denver residents did such a good job over the last few years of using less water, that the water company raised rates cuz they weren't selling enough water and bringing in enough revenue.

So, it's my responsibility to compensate for all the hippies and waste as much water as I can.