Quantcast

laptop as a second monitor

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i'm learning a new autocad program right now, and i'm doing some tutorials and i'm tired of switching back and forth all the time between the tutorial and the program, and i was wondering if there's a way i can set my laptop up as a second monitor so i can have the tutorial on one screen and the program on the other

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't think you can force a laptop screen to be a 2nd monitor.

Can the tutorial and program be run independently of each other? If so, there ya go.

If you've got a laptop and a desktop -- which is what it sounds like -- you could also connect your desktop's monitor to your laptop and run it as a dual-monitor setup that way.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
If you've got a laptop and a desktop -- which is what it sounds like -- you could also connect your desktop's monitor to your laptop and run it as a dual-monitor setup that way.
This is the way I have it set up at work, it's great (no desktop, just laptop + monitor). I don't know of another way to use the laptop as a monitor.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i'm learning a new autocad program right now, and i'm doing some tutorials and i'm tired of switching back and forth all the time between the tutorial and the program, and i was wondering if there's a way i can set my laptop up as a second monitor so i can have the tutorial on one screen and the program on the other
That should be no problem, I've done that before. You can mirror or set either screen as the primary and the other as the secondary display.

After you have setup your multi-monitor settings, it may default to the laptop screen and then swap the displays as you login/load your profile on some display adapters, but using your laptop screen as the secondary screen is no problem.

The better multi-monitor drivers also support display rotation (0-90-180-270) and vertical stacking. You can treat the monitors as separate displays or stretch the desktop across two displays too.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
Look at a program called synergy, it alows over the network control so instead of an actual second monitor, you can control your laptop via the desktop controls. Effectively you have dual monitors with dual cpu's as well for even better computational cycle distribution.