Quantcast

Laptop as mobile DVD player recs?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving weekend, Monkeys! Now that the pre-meal group ride and usual feast are out of the way, I need to do some shopping while things are cheap. The factory DVD player in our Mommyvan has died, and it strikes me that it's gonna be a whole lot cheaper to get a laptop to perform the same function as opposed to buying a replacement unit. Trouble is, I don't know what I ought to be looking for beyond a cheap laptop as DVD player. Can I get some advice on minimum specs? There'll be no need for gaming (no one in the family is into it), and it won't be replacing the main desktop we have at home. It'd be good, though, to have wireless for surfing from the couch via our no-frills 5-year-old Linksys router (we're on DSL, FWIW). The laptop may also be used by our kid (presently in 6th grade) as schoolwork begins to rely more on computer access. Oh, and we're a PC family for now. I was looking at this one: http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=89468&C=213&S=1396 but would be grateful for guidance from any computer Monkeys. Thx,
- Joe

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If I were looking for something cheap, I'd be super tempted by the new Chromebook:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromebook_samsung_wifi

It's not as flexible as a full laptop, but you'd be getting a reasonably nice piece of hardware, vs. a piece of junk, with much better battery life and a longer warranty than what you linked. You still get essential software using Google Docs for word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. and internet browsing.

Also, no DVD player, but you could rip your DVDs to a digital format VERY easily, and it would provide you with even more flexibility to do things like load them on a phone or a tablet or whatever, and you can bring a bunch with you on a USB stick or the local storage of the laptop instead of carting DVDs around.

I've not used the Chromebook, just throwing out an option you may not have considered. Bargain-basement laptops are usually a colossal pain because they're not as fast as a good one, but you're asking them to do all the same stuff running a full OS/applications/etc.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the perspective, BV. I'll take a look at the Chromebook - we already use a number of the Google software options - but I'm not sure our current desktop PC has the horsepower to be ripping DVDs. I'd be comfortable spending closer to $300 since it looks like that might get us something with more warranty and battery life. Best,
- Joe