Quantcast

Laptop for the wifey

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My wife is back in school and she would like a laptop. She won't be doing any serious gaming, and shes not in programming...so no compiling. I don't want to spend much beyond a grand and I found this Asus laptop on Newegg with XP Pro. Anyone every own an Asus laptop? I've owned their motherboards before and I have been happy with them. Thoughts? TIA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220039

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
a grand on a laptop that's nothing more than functional? Crap! The laptop I'm on right now was $400 a year ago.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
a grand on a laptop that's nothing more than functional? Crap! The laptop I'm on right now was $400 a year ago.
LOL...I wanted something that would last 4-5 years.

its all about the macbooks. you can get one for less than a grand
She actually likes the macbooks, but I know squat about macs. Do they have a word processor that can save as docs? I guess you could always save it as a .rtf

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

She actually likes the macbooks, but I know squat about macs. Do they have a word processor that can save as docs? I guess you could always save it as a .rtf
Yes. Mac people call it "Word" or something bizarre of that nature...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Word (Office) for the Mac is no longer supported. Still works OK but seriously if you're trying to save cash stick to Windoze. (or Ubuntu...)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why does she need a lot of processing power?

You can get a $500 computer today and get a brand new one in 2.5 years for $500. That second computer in 2 years will have power and technology that would cost $2000 today.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

You can get a $500 computer today and get a brand new one in 2.5 years for $500. That second computer in 2 years will have power and technology that would cost $2000 today.
:stupid:

My wife is still using a 900Mhz PIII tower that we got back in 2001.

Of course, she's starting to get more than a little pissed when she's post processing her 6MB RAW photos. :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Point taken. For $500 I'm going to have to hunt something with XP, becuase the machine won't handle Vista very well. Anyone every own Acer laptops? I know they can be had in that range with XP at newegg