Quantcast

Laptop got sick

Jul 6, 2010
Near Philly
Well my laptop got a virus yesterday and wiped the hard drive. so i got nothing. laptop works now but i dont have any of my documents except for the few I saved 10 min. before catastrophic failure for classes. :mad:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
It usually takes something of that magnitude to make someone start a backup regimen. I think it's time to invest in an external for that purpose.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
if mine starts to act up, i pull the plug, then plug it back in and use System Restore

you gotta keep control

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't even have an antivirus. Guess how many viruses I have had over the course of the last 10 years.... ZERO.

Get a mac.
Oh, yes, because that will make up for a complete lack of a backup for any of your files.

You could have inserted <got dropped/spilled on/had a drive crash/was in a fire/was stolen/was lost/got sexually assaulted by I Are Baboon> in place of <got a virus> and it wouldn't matter.

Gotta have backups.

Also, JBP: :clapping:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Oh, yes, because that will make up for a complete lack of a backup for any of your files.

You could have inserted <got dropped/spilled on/had a drive crash/was in a fire/was stolen/was lost/got sexually assaulted by I Are Baboon> in place of <got a virus> and it wouldn't matter.

Gotta have backups.

Also, JBP: :clapping:
Please... both my office cpu and my laptop backup daily via time machine. The work CPU backs up to a local drive and to an offsite location. I think I'm covered.

As a designer I don't really give a crap about games on my machines... but other than that What software am I lacking?

Oh... and JBP... I may have paid a few hundred more... but the G3 that I bought in 1999 still runs perfectly, has never had a problem and was used all day every day. Same goes for the G4 and the G5 (before it was stolen).

How many of your cheap $500 throwaway computers can you say have done that. You get what you pay for.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Golgi you are as clueless about bikes as you are about computers. You are talking to seasoned IT professionals (JBP, BV, myself). Your knowledge and sample size are not valid so no one cares. Beside that Apple is notorious for the various problems they've had with their notebooks - piss poor quality control, crappy batteries, crappy power adapters, finish problems, etc. You are paying a premium FOR NOTHING. The OEMs that make most of the various big brands including Apple models are shared with the PC brands - Apple products are made in the same factories as those "throwaway brands" and worse they like to force obsolesce/limit upgrade options/make servicing a PITA in almost all of their hardware.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Please... both my office cpu and my laptop backup daily via time machine. The work CPU backs up to a local drive and to an offsite location. I think I'm covered.
What? Who cares? Where did I ask about your backups?

All I said was, the virus has nothing to do with the problem, which was the lack of a backup. You said it would be fixed because Macs don't get viruses. But it won't - it will be fixed by him establishing backups. Because the problem wasn't the virus, the virus just brought the problem out into the open.

How many of your cheap $500 throwaway computers can you say have done that.
Uh. Most of them. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of computers that I've used, or supported, or known about, have been replaced because the owner wanted something newer and shinier, not because they were "forced" to.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
What? Who cares? Where did I ask about your backups?

All I said was, the virus has nothing to do with the problem, which was the lack of a backup. You said it would be fixed because Macs don't get viruses. But it won't - it will be fixed by him establishing backups. Because the problem wasn't the virus, the virus just brought the problem out into the open.

Uh. Most of them. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of computers that I've used, or supported, or known about, have been replaced because the owner wanted something newer and shinier, not because they were "forced" to.
Guess I didn't understand what exactly you were saying... I thought you were addressing me... i.e. somehow there wasn't some sort of backup available or compatible with my mac.

Of course the dude needed a backup... but viruses wouldnt have been an issue if... etc etc.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Golgi you are as clueless about bikes as you are about computers. You are talking to seasoned IT professionals (JBP, BV, myself). Your knowledge and sample size are not valid so no one cares. Beside that Apple is notorious for the various problems they've had with their notebooks - piss poor quality control, crappy batteries, crappy power adapters, finish problems, etc. You are paying a premium FOR NOTHING. The OEMs that make most of the various big brands including Apple models are shared with the PC brands - Apple products are made in the same factories as those "throwaway brands" and worse they like to force obsolesce/limit upgrade options/make servicing a PITA in almost all of their hardware.
I'm clueless about bikes? How-so?

Look, you guys may know your way around a windows system or a network 1000 times more than I do... but I've been working on apples since they were industry standard Junk...

The Apple OS has made huge strides... in my opinion it's far more stable than a Windows machine, not talking hardware, nor was I when I mentioned having machines go 10 years without a hiccup. The fact that they don't have a virus problem may be due to sample size, but the point is that I have never had a virus issue.

I don't need you to reaffirm that the machine I have in front of me is far more reliable than a windows machine. I just need to count the times that I see an IT guy walk onto my floor to fix or replace someone's broken windows machine... or how many times I see a warning about malicious emails coming from our IT department that I can send directly to the trash.

I would be curious to know your reasoning behind why nearly every big time video or advertising agency is 80% apple if they are nothing more than the same stuff with an overpriced tag.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
My IBM T40 that Ive had since May of 2003 is still chugging along. 5 years of college and 2 BS years later. I can only hope to be so lucky with my MBP.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thank Gates for vista...windows restore saved my ass multiple times. GF's got a virus, wham, perfect. Screwed up some file in windows trying to hack my background animation...boom back to normal. Steam screwed itself up and eliminated half my games...back to normal. Thing is incredible, and has paid for itself multiple times. I do need to run a backup/get an external harddrive, but I don't really have enough stuff worth saving...besides, my program files (replaceable) and personal documents are stored on separate drives.

I love all the negative press for Vista. It's been bombproof for me since I built my machine with it.