Quantcast

Laptop hard drive

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a laptop that is having problems (its a friends computer, Gateway) and I'm 90% sure the hard drive is messed up. I pulled the drive out and was going to stick it into another laptop I have (HP) as a secondary drive to see if there is a problem; when I pulled the drive out it has pins, similar to a normal HD, but the drive in my laptop uses a card type connection. This got me thinking, I need to order a new drive for this computer, what connection types are available? Is the card style connection an HP only thing? I was looking around Newegg.com and other than size and speed I couldn't tell the difference between the drives.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Hard drives are standardized. What I believe you have is a carrier that converts the connection. The carrier must be switched to the other hard drive. If you want to connect it as a secondary drive to your laptop, I don't think that is going to happen. Generally, laptops have space for only one hard drive.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Hard drives are standardized. What I believe you have is a carrier that converts the connection. The carrier must be switched to the other hard drive. If you want to connect it as a secondary drive to your laptop, I don't think that is going to happen. Generally, laptops have space for only one hard drive.
My old laptop had room for two, but only one carrier :huh: Thanks for the info, I'll get my HD ordered.