Quantcast

Laptop Monkeys (wow, that sounds gay)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I need a laptop but I've got no idea what kind to get. I've heard IBM (now some other company I can't remember the name of) makes really nice ones. Sonys seem nice too.

I don't want an Apple, I want a big screen, I need lots of ports, at least 512MB ram and 60GB HD, and I would love a nice long battery life. And affordablity is key. That's kind of a lot to wish for, but hey, what the hell.

I know someone w/ an Acer and it's badass. The screen swivels and turns into a writing tablet to take notes and stuff with. Are those durable and whatnot?

Basically, who makes the most affordable and best laptops? I don't want some funky brand that'll go out of business 2 months from now either.

Thanks

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dell makes a solid laptop. My IBM (Now Linova or some crap) has been solid, but they are a bit more. Office Deopt has a few good deals on Compaq's I have seen, but I haven't used them.

For real, you should look at the MacBooks if you can afford the coin. I have a 17" PowerBook G4 and it's freakin great! But I am hard on machines and make Windows cry on a daily basis, so OSX is about my best option.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not into Macs. Too "removed" so I can't fiddle with things myself. I prefer to be able to go into dos and play with stuff instead of having "integrated" stuff.

I'll check out Dell. Thanks

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I used to be a mac hater . . . but with apple's boot camp . . . mac is the future . . .

Anyways, I suggest looking at dell unless you want something small (for a lappie). I have a dell and have not had any problems with it. When you are ready to pull the trigger, look at these coupons:

http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

You also might want to try rummaging around there for some insight.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
Not into Macs. Too "removed" so I can't fiddle with things myself. I prefer to be able to go into dos and play with stuff instead of having "integrated" stuff.

I'll check out Dell. Thanks
OS X is linux, you can fiddle with about 100x more things than windows.

Also, windows XP doesn't have dos.

If you insist on a windows machine, get a dell or or Lenovo or whatever it is. Good quality, great warranty etc.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm typing on an Imac (the new one) right now and hating every second of it....

I'll go for a Dell I think, they seem good for the money.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I just got an Inspiron E1505 from Dell for $870 w/ the following:

duo core processor
80 gb drive
dvd burner
1 GB ram (2 slots)
85 whr battery
bluetooth
intel pro wireless

I thought it was a pretty good deal. You just have to uninstall all the crap Dell installs on it, or do a clean install of Windows.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I had a Sony, it was pretty good. Piece of **** compared to my Powerbook, but pretty good by PC standards.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My GF just picked up a Dell Inspiron 6000 from the Dell outlet site "scratch and dent" (There was a virtually invisible half CM long scratch on the top) for 800 bucks with shipping/tax/wireless hub. 1 gig of RAM, 80GB HDD, 1.8 gig Centrino CPU, widescreen, DVD burner. It's a pretty killer machine for how much she paid. Take a look at their outlet site. Stuff comes and goes pretty quickly (eBay resellers prowl it like no other), so you've gotta be ready to jump on something if you like it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hrm, that Dell that nmjb has sounds good.

I was checkin out iBooks and they actually look decent, but I'd prefer a pc if possible.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
Hrm, that Dell that nmjb has sounds good.

I was checkin out iBooks and they actually look decent, but I'd prefer a pc if possible.
Macbook, don't bother with an ibook if you go that route. You can dual boot windows with boot camp. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
Macbook, don't bother with an ibook if you go that route. You can dual boot windows with boot camp. :)
I can't afford a macbook.

I'm goin dell for sure.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Transcend said:

Well, soon enough, the iBooks will be Intel. Supposedly going to be called the "Macbook" as opposed to the "Macbook Pro"

Anyway, as far as PC stuff goes, Toshiba makes a good laptop. Dell's are good because of the warranty. I had to send mine back 4-5 times because stuff went wrong or broke, and they usually took care of it fairly quickly. That was a machine that is now 5 years old, so who knows how much has changed.

The Tablet PCs are really cool, but you said you wanted somthing inexpensive, so...... thats really not an option

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
nmjb said:
I just got an Inspiron E1505 from Dell for $870 w/ the following:

duo core processor
80 gb drive
dvd burner
1 GB ram (2 slots)
85 whr battery
bluetooth
intel pro wireless
Mind showing me how you were able to do that? On Dell's site it says that the duo processor inspirons start at $1033, and thats with a 60 GB hard drive.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
WheelieMan said:
Mind showing me how you were able to do that? On Dell's site it says that the duo processor inspirons start at $1033, and thats with a 60 GB hard drive.
Yeah, after some research on Dell, I'd like to know too.

Maybe he bought used???

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
WheelieMan said:

do a google search for dell coupons they normally help a whole lot.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you want some good deals on Dells, browse the bargain websites like www.bensbargains.net or www.fatwallet.com - they often post configurations that end up at a screaming deal after coupon codes and instant savings. Just be patient and you'll find very good deals - the config that nmjb posted was a good deal but there have been better ones and deals like those are fairly common.

If you want affordability for a good notebook, I'd go with a Dell. If you want the best notebook around for some more bucks, the Lenovo (formerly IBM) Thinkpads are damn nice.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
WheelieMan said:
I was going to try and use coupons as others mentioned, but Dell was offering this deal on their site. Here is the navigation:

dell.com>home & home office> notebooks>entertainment notebooks

on the "entertainment notebooks" page there is an ad for "deals on performance notebooks" or something similar. Follow this. I got the Inspiron E1505 (base price of $799) and added Bluetooth and the 85 whr battery. Hope that helps. I think the discount on these Inspirons is 34%.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Posted at Ben's Bargains today:

Dell Home has the new Dell Inspiron E1505 Dual Core Notebook priced at $999 - $300 code K9ZWHPR181BDLR [Exp 5/4, 4000 uses] + $0 shipping = $699 shipped. 8x DVD+-RW Upgrade adds $60.

-Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB DDR2, 40GB SATA, 8x DVD+-RW

-10/100 + 56k + 802.11g, Intel 950 Video, 53 WHr Battery, XP Media Center

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
nmjb said:
I was going to try and use coupons as others mentioned, but Dell was offering this deal on their site. Here is the navigation:

dell.com>home & home office> notebooks>entertainment notebooks

on the "entertainment notebooks" page there is an ad for "deals on performance notebooks" or something similar. Follow this. I got the Inspiron E1505 (base price of $799) and added Bluetooth and the 85 whr battery. Hope that helps. I think the discount on these Inspirons is 34%.
Not bad, but you still didn't get a dual core processor...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
Also, windows XP doesn't have dos.
Technically you are correct. However for all intensive purposes the "command prompt" shell will provide pretty much all of the functionality that DOS had when it comes to tinkering.

There is now no reason in my mind to not buy apple hardware. I already liked OSX but I would've been nervous to have just 1 computer in the house and have it running OSX. Apple has made it easy to dual boot windows and linux, you can now have the best of all worlds.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
Technically you are correct. However for all intensive purposes the "command prompt" shell will provide pretty much all of the functionality that DOS had when it comes to tinkering.

There is now no reason in my mind to not buy apple hardware. I already liked OSX but I would've been nervous to have just 1 computer in the house and have it running OSX. Apple has made it easy to dual boot windows and linux, you can now have the best of all worlds.
Ya, command prompt does seem to crash a whole lot more though. Especially when running scripts it seems. As usual, I was just being an ass. :rofl:

Apple hardware does indeed rule. I love my powerbook.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Transcend said:
Apple hardware does indeed rule. I love my powerbook.
So, I need a new laptop and have the means to get a Macbook. How hard is it going to be to get Microsoft Office on it and all the things from my comp now?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
binary visions said:
DELL's website said:
Inspiron E1505
Processor/Display
Intel® Core™ Solo processor T1300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)

-$799
According to the website he didn't get a dual core processor...

If indeed you can get a dual core processor, 1MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, (DVD+/-RW) drive, 15.4 inch monitor, etc.. for $800 bucks from a reputable retailer, I will purchase immediately.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sherpa said:
So, I need a new laptop and have the means to get a Macbook. How hard is it going to be to get Microsoft Office on it and all the things from my comp now?
well there's a mac microsoft office, and it'll read basically any office file from PC. Powerpoint isn't included in the version I have, but I never used it anyways.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
WheelieMan said:
According to the website he didn't get a dual core processor...

If indeed you can get a dual core processor, 1MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, (DVD+/-RW) drive, 15.4 inch monitor, etc.. for $800 bucks from a reputable retailer, I will purchase immediately.

Sorry all - it was a solo core processor. As you can tell, I'm not the most computer savvy guy around. All the other specs. were correct though. Still seemed like a pretty good deal.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:
well there's a mac microsoft office, and it'll read basically any office file from PC. Powerpoint isn't included in the version I have, but I never used it anyways.
Student version is only 150 and it has powerpoint.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WheelieMan said:
Dell.com is offering the following specs:

1.66ghz dual core processor
1gb RAM
80GB hard drive
8X DVD DL +/-RW
14.1" monitor

For $774.

Customize the spec at this link, with $300 off coupon code K9ZWHPR181BDLR.

Order away! For an extra $100 you can get the 1.83ghz dual core.