Quantcast

Laptop native resolution + external monitor ?s

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I currently have a laptop with a 1440X900 resolution and I am looking at purchasing a larger external monitor to go with it. My question is: Is it possible to use an external monitor with a higher resolution than the laptop screen's native resolution? Some people have told me that special software is needed, others have said it is possible with stock video card drivers, and some have told me it's impossible. I've got a super good video card if that matters. Thanks!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You should have no problem as long as your video chipset is decent. Your laptop's native LCD resolution has no effect on the maximum supported resolution of the video chipset.

Modern mobile chipsets usually support up to 1920 x 1200. Enough for high-end 1080p 24" widescreen LCD display. SOL if you want a 30" HP/Dell/Apple/etc LCD computer monitor though :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
You should have no problem as long as your video chipset is decent. Your laptop's native LCD resolution has no effect on the maximum supported resolution of the video chipset.
Ok, well it's an Nvidia 7900gs, so almost top-of-the-line.

Now, will the quality of the picture be degraded because the monitor won't be using the same resolution as the laptop screen? My current 1024X768 external monitor seems kinda blurry and the colors are a little off. Or is this loss of picture quality due to a VGA connection instead of DVI?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Again, the external picture quality and maximum supported resolution is not effected by your notebook's LCD panel native resolution, its your video chipset and its supporting components that matter. It also depends on the electronics in your LCD panel. Some don't have decent analog connections - varies by model (even the same LCD panel can vary if the companies using the same panel use different electronics to drive the panel and/or use LCD panel quality level binning - they also tend to improve the panels sometimes going through numerous revisions throughout the product lifecycle).

I just ordered the HP L2065 S-IPS myself for about $390 delivered last week. I don't watch movies often and don't like the growing pains some applications/games have with widescreen right now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Some people have told me that special software is needed, others have said it is possible with stock video card drivers, and some have told me it's impossible. I've got a super good video card if that matters. Thanks!
You can configure this with most cards these days.

Down load the latest driver from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

It has a mutli-monitor configuration page in the control panel.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The 7900GS is new enough that he probably won't have to do anything. Also Windows provides limited multi-monitor support and configurations options out of the box without enhanced drivers. There are also third party multi-monitor software packages, but they are not needed for average needs.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ok, well it's an Nvidia 7900gs, so almost top-of-the-line.

Now, will the quality of the picture be degraded because the monitor won't be using the same resolution as the laptop screen? My current 1024X768 external monitor seems kinda blurry and the colors are a little off. Or is this loss of picture quality due to a VGA connection instead of DVI?

both are independant.
video cards are independant from monitors.

there will be a small (so small you´ll have to try to notice) between vga-dvi. but its really nothing to worry about.
if you say its blurry and colors are off... my first guess would be to say it must have to do with the monitor.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Again, the external picture quality and maximum supported resolution is not effected by your notebook's LCD panel native resolution, its your video chipset and its supporting components that matter. It also depends on the electronics in your LCD panel. Some don't have decent analog connections - varies by model (even the same LCD panel can vary if the companies using the same panel use different electronics to drive the panel and/or use LCD panel quality level binning - they also tend to improve the panels sometimes going through numerous revisions throughout the product lifecycle).

I just ordered the HP L2065 S-IPS myself for about $390 delivered last week. I don't watch movies often and don't like the growing pains some applications/games have with widescreen right now.
How bad is it to have a TN panel? I'm looking for a 21-22 inch widescreen for about $300 and I can't find an S-IPS model in that pricerange.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
TN is fine as long as you don't have to look at them from angles or different heights - ideally as your main and only monitor. They look different as you view them from an angle, so they aren't well suited for multi-monitor setups or if you move around a lot and are worried about a more static view from all positions. Of course if you are using your laptop as your second monitor, you have no choice in panel type there, so you might need a better panel type if you have to view your laptop LCD head-on.

The Dell 2007FPW was (is) IPS but I think they might have switched panels - you'll have to do you own research but that might fit your budget. Don't confuse it with the 2007FP, that is a PVA. You might be able to get an IPS Dell refurb from Dell's outlet store if you are really concerned about panel type for whatever reason.

I've personally used dual 19" TN displays and noticed the slight color difference as you get more of angle with that wide of spread, but they weren't too bad - fine for general work as long as you aren't doing any color critical work.