Quantcast

Laptop Recommendations

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The time has come. My MacBook from 2011 has reached the end of its journey.

I don't need anything fancy. I pretty much exclusively use it for photo editing and the occasional web surfing/personal stuff. Infrequently, mind you. Maybe an hour a week on average. No gaming, nothing fancy, I just need something more modern. Zero operating system or brand allegiance, though I need it to play well with my Synology NAS.

What say you monkeys? I know little about computers and don't really care to. Budget is $1,000, plus or minus a few.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those decent machines? Wife is off looking at Costco now.

My bro recommended sticking with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. Beyond that, he said anything above $600 should be reasonable, depends on the desired screen size/form factor.
May want to consider something where you can upgrade the RAM at some point. 16 should be more than enough for what you want to do but IME RAM is often what causes a computer to become obsolete in the future. YMMV.

Reinfost

Chimp
Sep 1, 2024
I suggest considering a laptop with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD which will provide enough power for photo editing.It's a lso wise to choose a device that allows for future RAM upgrades,/ extending its lifespan:D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
And so much for that. FIL got a MacBook air for the wife.

Me not having to pay for a computer > my distaste for Apple
Boooo, I was hoping for some suggestions.
I just started photo editing with "Affinity Photo 2" and my 8th gen i7 laptop hates it, it has 20GB of RAM but only a 15W processor(from memory).
Maybe I'll just try some different software first as I like to run things till they stop working.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Boooo, I was hoping for some suggestions.
I just started photo editing with "Affinity Photo 2" and my 8th gen i7 laptop hates it, it has 20GB of RAM but only a 15W processor(from memory).
Maybe I'll just try some different software first as I like to run things till they stop working.
I've been on Lightroom 4 since it came out. It got to the point where it could no longer read RAW files from my camera, so I had to convert them to DNG files and was carrying both NEF and DNG.

Just got the yearly subscription from Adobe for Lightroom and Photoshop for $10/mo. Kinda chaps my ass that it's all subscription based now, but at least I'll get regular updates?

EDIT:
New computer plus new Lightroom is phenomenal.

Last edited: