Quantcast

Laptop screen dead - need to backup data

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ok, I've got problem here.

The screen of my HP Pavilion laptop stopped working. Not only that, I tried hooking up an external monitor and it didn't work either. This isn't a big problem though, as its under warantee and HP will fix for free.

The problem is that I need to backup my data before I send it off. They tell me that my hd may be reformatted, and there's stuff on there I can't loose. Any ideas on how to do this without a working screen?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Best way is to find a friend or someone at work with a similar laptop and plug your drive into theirs, then back it up in whatever way you see fit (burn CDs, plug it into a network, external hard drive, whatever).

That way, the hardware configuration will be similar and you won't have to deal with reconfiguring your entire Windows setup on boot.

Barring that, your drive should fit and work in most recent laptops, you'll just have to deal with a couple dozen error messages when you boot it for the first time. It'll change your Windows configuration, but it won't hurt anything, since HP will be reformatting your drive anyway.

edit: I just thought of something. When you plug in the external monitor, there's usually a key combination you need to hit in order to output it to the monitor. It's usually a picture of a small screen or something - for instance, on my Dell, it's a little blue square with rounded edges (looks like a TV screen) above F9 or something, and when I hit the function key then F9, it cycles through "Output to screen", "Output to external monitor", and "Output to both". Did you try that?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
binary visions said:
Best way is to find a friend or someone at work with a similar laptop and plug your drive into theirs, then back it up in whatever way you see fit (burn CDs, plug it into a network, external hard drive, whatever).

That way, the hardware configuration will be similar and you won't have to deal with reconfiguring your entire Windows setup on boot.

Barring that, your drive should fit and work in most recent laptops, you'll just have to deal with a couple dozen error messages when you boot it for the first time. It'll change your Windows configuration, but it won't hurt anything, since HP will be reformatting your drive anyway.
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has an HP Pavilion.

I'm a bit leary of putting the hd in another laptop, as I don't know for sure if my hd will be reformatted or not. If it ends up not being reformatted, I don't want my Windows configuration to get screwed up.

binary visions said:
I just thought of something. When you plug in the external monitor, there's usually a key combination you need to hit in order to output it to the monitor. It's usually a picture of a small screen or something - for instance, on my Dell, it's a little blue square with rounded edges (looks like a TV screen) above F9 or something, and when I hit the function key then F9, it cycles through "Output to screen", "Output to external monitor", and "Output to both". Did you try that?
Yeah, I tried that. Mine's Function + f4. Didn't do anything.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
I'm a bit leary of putting the hd in another laptop, as I don't know for sure if my hd will be reformatted or not. If it ends up not being reformatted, I don't want my Windows configuration to get screwed up.
Fair enough. It should "un-screw" itself, though, when it goes back into your HP. All your drivers will remain there, it will just recognize a different hardware configuration. When you put it back in your HP, it'll re-recognize your HP hardware.

However, as flakey as Windows is, there are no promises about how much hassle you'll have to go through to get it to recognize all of your old hardware. How comfortable are you with re-installing drivers and such? Like I said, chances are you'll plug the drive back in and it'll be fine, but there's a possibility you'll have to poke around in the Device Manager a bit.

Your other option is to call HP and tell them you're sending the computer back for warrenty, minus the hard drive because you want to keep it. See what they say.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
binary visions said:
Your other option is to call HP and tell them you're sending the computer back for warrenty, minus the hard drive because you want to keep it. See what they say.
Yeah, I've already pressed them on this. They say that since they don't know if its a hardware or software issue they want everything, minus battery and power cord.

I'm thinking that I may go buy a 2.5" external usb case, pop my hd into it and hook it up to my desktop at work. PC Club just down the road has these cases for around $30. Do you think this would work? I hate to spend money that's not necessary, but I need my home computer back asap and I sure as heck can't lose my data.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
Yeah, I've already pressed them on this. They say that since they don't know if its a hardware or software issue they want everything, minus battery and power cord.

I'm thinking that I may go buy a 2.5" external usb case, pop my hd into it and hook it up to my desktop at work. PC Club just down the road has these cases for around $30. Do you think this would work? I hate to spend money that's not necessary, but I need my home computer back asap and I sure as heck can't lose my data.
Sure, that'd work fine. I thought you were looking for a free solution, though :D

Just be prepared to start the data transfer and go eat lunch, take a shower, go for a bike ride, remodel your kitchen, go to your kid's college graduation, etc. while you wait for it to move however many gigs of data you're trying to keep (if you are, in fact, trying to save a lot) :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
binary visions said:
Sure, that'd work fine. I thought you were looking for a free solution, though :D

Just be prepared to start the data transfer and go eat lunch, take a shower, go for a bike ride, remodel your kitchen, go to your kid's college graduation, etc. while you wait for it to move however many gigs of data you're trying to keep (if you are, in fact, trying to save a lot) :D
Well, free would be best, but I'm also in a hurry. Its becoming one of those "you can have it free, or you can have it quick, but not both" scenarios. :angry:

I think I have about 30 gig to transfer. Yeah, it'll take a while.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Solution! The guy's in IT here have this nifty little contraption called an EZ-GIG. Basically, you take this and plug it into the expansion slot of a working laptop, then connect the other end to the 2.5" drive you want to backup. IT tells me that the laptop will mount it as another drive, then I'll be able to download all my data to our network. Fortunately for me, we've got some really great guys in our IT dept and they'll allow me to put about 20-30 gig temporarily on our network.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
well you could also get an IDE adapter for a notebook HD for like 10 or 20 bucks and hook it up as a slave HDD in another PC, then copy the whole drive. Definitely the easiest and most reliable way.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
You could plug it into an existing network and access it from another PC. START-RUN-<pcname>\c$ -ENTER. Should show you the contents of your C drive. Or you could use a remote control app to get to it.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
clancy98 said:
well you could also get an IDE adapter for a notebook HD for like 10 or 20 bucks and hook it up as a slave HDD in another PC, then copy the whole drive. Definitely the easiest and most reliable way.
Well, the IT guys were super slammed today, so I ended up running over to PC Club and buying the 2.5" external case. It's up and running in a back room right now. Quick and painless. I'm going to start transfering the data when I leave work today (36 GB). Not a single machine here has USB 2.0, so it'll take a while.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
Well, the IT guys were super slammed today, so I ended up running over to PC Club and buying the 2.5" external case. It's up and running in a back room right now. Quick and painless. I'm going to start transfering the data when I leave work today (36 GB). Not a single machine here has USB 2.0, so it'll take a while.
And hey, you've got the case for next time when you want to back your stuff up on a server.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for future reference:

another solution would be to ssh in (maybe not an option with default windows install?), and slap vnc on there, and then use your newfound eyes to back up as usual.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Toshi said:
for future reference:

another solution would be to ssh in (maybe not an option with default windows install?), and slap vnc on there, and then use your newfound eyes to back up as usual.
What the hell did you just say?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
What the hell did you just say?
I think he was talking about what he was going to do to your wife :eek:

He was referring to making a remote connection to the computer, and installing a program that allows you to remotely control and see everything that goes on with the computer.

Cool program, actually. We use it at work.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
binary visions said:
I think he was talking about what he was going to do to your wife :eek:

He was referring to making a remote connection to the computer, and installing a program that allows you to remotely control and see everything that goes on with the computer.

Cool program, actually. We use it at work.
har har.

Is this something like VPN?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
pixelninja said:
har har.

Is this something like VPN?
nope, VPN lets you connect to your company's (or your) network from outside the firewall, with the nify bits being that: a) it's encrypted/"secure" as these things go, and b) you have access to all network resources as if you were on the network physically (think network printers, file sharing, stuff like that).

VNC lets you control another computer, seeing their screen in a window on your computer. Gotomypc is essentially VNC + rudimentary encryption + central login server + monthly fee, and Microsoft and Apple have their own variants with extra bells and whistles, Remote Desktop Connection and Apple Remote Desktop.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
So I got my drive backed up, and FedEx was supposed to pick the computer up from my workplace yesterday. I even received a confirmation email with the correct address. Not sure who f'ed up, but FedEx showed up at my HOUSE. After being on the phone for 2 hours last night, I think we got it straightened out. My wife will be home this afternoon and they're supposed to come back out to the house for the pickup. I called FedEx this morning to confirm and yes, they're scheduled to come to the house. With my luck, they'll probably screw this up too and come to my work to pick it up. We'll see.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
All is right with the world now. FedEx did come to my house and picked up my laptop like they said they would. Got it back yesterday and everything's fine. HP replaced the motherboard. They didn't re-image the HD, so I don't have to reinstall everything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
su_root said:
i know most laptops have a key to switch to an external monitor i'd try that first, then send ti back.
from above
pixelninja said:
Yeah, I tried that. Mine's Function + f4. Didn't do anything.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i once went to a technician, and he had a very cool little thingy, an adaptor that plugged into the standard desktop ide cable, and then to the little plug from my laptop hdd..

and my laptop hdd worked like a standard one in his desktop, just like a 3 1/4 hdd, with no software, no usb no hassle...

anybody knows what are those called? how much they run for???

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
plug an external monitor into the auxillary video port... as long as its the laptops screen that crapped out and not the video card.

pixelninja said:
Ok, I've got problem here.

The screen of my HP Pavilion laptop stopped working. Not only that, I tried hooking up an external monitor and it didn't work either. This isn't a big problem though, as its under warantee and HP will fix for free.

The problem is that I need to backup my data before I send it off. They tell me that my hd may be reformatted, and there's stuff on there I can't loose. Any ideas on how to do this without a working screen?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
dogdude said:
plug an external monitor into the auxillary video port... as long as its the laptops screen that crapped out and not the video card.
Dude...your reading comprehension skills suck.

:mumble: