Quantcast

Laptop Wireless Network Cards

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I have a Belkin wireless card to get internet on. Its 802.11g and it sucks. 1/2 the time it wont go online (like the last 2 hours). I figured out that the Rx packets have to go up with the Tx packets, and the Rx packets never go up. I bought the card at walmart 1 year ago. What should I do? Should I get a new one? Or is it even the card?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wireless cards and routers are notorious for having interbrand issues. Try switching either your router or card to the same brand as the other. With quality brands it's not so bad, but I've seen so many cheap cards simply not work with 'other manufacturers' gear.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
It used to work at home all the time, now it is not, but when i travel it usually is a pain to get to work. So I dont think its the router. I dont use the laptop at home too much since I have a desktop. I mainly need it to work when I travel

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Does this happen with all routers or have you not tried it with any one other than the one at your house?

Easiest troubleshooting step: delete the device out of Device Manager (go into Control Panel, open System, click Hardware tab, click Device Manager button, it'll be listed in there), download the device drivers from Belkin's website, reboot and reinstall the device.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Computers are rubbish, throw it all in the bin.

Alternatively check the settings for which networks you default to, WEP, IP, etc.

Wireless can be pretty flaky, but usually once get the settings sorted it's fairly reliable. Unlike Bluetooth which is the devil's own protocol.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
merrrrjig said:
I have used it many places in many states
Let me clarify:

Have you used it outside of in conjunction with your particular router since this problem started occuring?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't think we're communicating properly.

Since you have started having this problem at home, with your home router, have you used your wireless card to connect to any other router?

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
well, I tried unplugging my home router and found out that there was no ethernet cord going to it, but thats beyond the point, because when I was in park city this weekend it was a pain and wouldnt work 1/2 the time, and then I remember in Idaho it wouldnt work or take a while to get it to work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do what I said above; delete your device and use whatever setup utility the maufacturer provides to reinstall the drivers.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Do what I said above; delete your device and use whatever setup utility the maufacturer provides to reinstall the drivers.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Merry-jig is technologically challenged.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Step 1:

Do you have a 2.4Ghz wireless phone recently changed which might be interfering with your wifi network?

Do you have a new microwave, which happen to use the same frequency as a wifi network ?

If you answered YES to any of those questions, don't look any further. Elseway, try to hook your wireless NIC to another Access point (your neighbor maybe, or at work) as suggested. If it still doesn't work, try to replace the card. Still no go, get a good ol' cable! If you still can't manage to get your PC to work with a cable, sell it and get a new bike. Computers are not for you.

:)