Quantcast

Laptop with a SSD (moved from lounge)

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
My HD crashed in my laptop last night. :rant:

Only thing I can find is that Sony has a Vaio UX to be released in Japan with a 32GB Drive.
I'm sure there are others out there.... any IT guys out there know of anything?
Toshiba offering anything yet?

[SIZE="-2"]SSD= solid state disk, no motor, no heat, no whinning noise, no vibration, less power drain....[/SIZE]
:disgust:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just get a 7200 RPM notebook HDD. Being an early adopter of any kind of product often is not worth the premium and/or beta quality product status IMHO.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
normally i'd agree with you but, all this is using a giant flash drive instead of a normal hard disk drive.

Giant USB flash drives, even ones in the 64GB range, have been on the market for a while now.

oh and i'm it's not on my dime this time. :biggrin:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
i just found a 64GB USB flash drive online for .....

wait for it........

$5,000.00

and it still fits on a key chain.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah but its a different type of flash drive, SSD and hybrids are faster than USB mass storage due to the interfaces. I don't recall, but the flash memory type might be different too.

They make some for desktops you can currently buy too, but those don't work so hot on the consumer level.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
So is it a different type of drive, SSD vs. Flash
or is it just the interface?

Just wondering. That may be why it's initially being offered as an option.
Not fully tested or stable yet.... I'll have to dig up more info.
thanks

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got a Dual Channel 4GB OCZ Al. flash drive from mwave for $80 a few weeks ago. Why not just make a 16 drive software RAID with a few USB hubs, heh. That won't suck or anything:p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Whatca talking about Willis?

Samsung Flash SSD drive is regular ATA66 interface drive. You can put any OS you want on it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Must be when Flash is used for all memory usage. I don't work with the product line but we sell industrial hardened PC's that run CE. Cool stuff, booting up/down takes almost no time.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You mean when the RAM is both the data storage and RAM for the system - that would make sense for CE since thats how it works - your backup battery dies and your whole system is gone since its regular RAM (unless you use Flash cards with your CE device also).

This Samsung drive is for storage purposes only and is flash based.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You mean when the RAM is both the data storage and RAM for the system - that would make sense for CE since thats how it works - your backup battery dies and your whole system is gone since its regular RAM (unless you use Flash cards with your CE device also).

This Samsung drive is for storage purposes only and is flash based.

We use all flash. It is a very nice system for Industrial applications where the PC will only be running a few specific applications.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We use all flash. It is a very nice system for Industrial applications where the PC will only be running a few specific applications.
Can't beat solid state when it always has to work...

You could build you new systems with this samsung drive and regular RAM. Then you can run any OS you want - think of all the software you can run now that you don't need CE :D