Quantcast

laptops & airport x-ray machiners

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
heading back stateside tomorrow... got some recently purchased delicates I don't want damaged and hence will be carrying on and a laptop place in checked luggage. my question... will a laptop computer be safe/unaffected if it is placed in a piece of checked luggage? i'm not worried about physical damage (its a work machine), just data loss from the scanners - IIRC checked luggage is submitted to a larger dosage of radiation. will it be ok?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
My girlfriends uncle flew from Chicago to Phoenix for Christmas and put a brand new $3000.00 laptop in his checked bags and it disappeared. He contacted the airline, but I don't know if he ever got compensation.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
X-rays won't affect the hard drive.

There's definitely no guarantee that you won't lose data from the thing being physically destroyed, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well its a work laptop and most of the data is backed up on our central databases. my own personal laptop is coming with me as carry-on. its cathay pacific airlines so i'm not too worried about things dissappearing....

::knocks on wood::

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
The chances are great of the laptop being stolen from checked luggage. I saw on a news program a while back that the morons they employ as baggage handlers more often than not go through luggage to see what is inside that they can steal.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...but, but, I've got a TSA approved lock on there! Surely the baggage handlers wouldn't abuse a government regulation like that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't check anything if I can avoid it. I'm one of those jackasses that carries everything I can on the plane.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Likelihood of laptop not making 99.9% doesn't matter the airlines, do you think baggage handlers at Cathay Pacific really make signifigantly more than those at Delta???