Quantcast

Large Bikes for Big Dudes - top tupe lengths.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Many people ask the question....whats the biggest bike?
I'm 6'5" so I wanted to find out....
Below are my findings of some of the top dh bikes, I have my big hit in there as thats what I have.
I also have screenshots some are in the post........

All Frames are size large or the largest the manufacturer issues. (I have used the ettective top tube.)

Top Tube Length. Sizes in inches.

25.35 Giant Glory (2008)
24.8 Santa Cruz V-10
24.5 Ironhorse Worldcup
24.5 Rotec RL9 (2006)
24.4 Foes 2:1 Mono
24.13 Specialized Big Hit (2006)
24. Intense Socom (2008)
24 Yeti 303
23.5 Intense M6
23.31 Specialized Demo 8 (2008)
23.03 Commencal Supreme (2008)
22.48 Orange 224

Giant Glory:

Santa Cruz v-10

Ironhorse

Rotec

Intense Socom

yeti

Specialized Demo:

Orange 224

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The longest DH frame I have ever seen was the first generation V10. The large was very big. I think there was even an extra large.

VP Free frames run big too and there was an extra large made. My old VP Free was an medium and it felt only slightly smaller than my current large V10. The large VP Free that I test rode was enormous. Can't imagine how big the XL is.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Me and my XL-VPF

isnt it a cute little thing?

6'8", 248lbs , 39" Inseam, 38" Sleeves. The SC XL's fit just about right, except a little tall in the seat/standover; Im not sure why MTB's are built with roadie sizing principles,I would love it if the seat /frame could bge about 2" lower................

I believe Turner did a run of Highlines with a 25.0" TT - not sure if that was a rumor or not.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I'm 6'5"-6"ish and have spent a lot of time thinking about this sort of stuff.
-
The effective top tube could feel larger or smaller than published number depending on the seat tube angle. Slacker seat tube angle will feel shorter than one with a steeper seat tube angle. Most companies do not publish "rider area" numbers which is a shame. Rider area is the length between the bottom bracket and head tube. On a DH bike you only really "touch" the bike at the cranks and bars it is a better measure of how a bike will fit without actually sitting on one.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
Nagaredama that is a great comment. that is about the only thing that in trials bike they got right. while they don't publish the number its super easy to figure out on them.

the cove i have only have a 23.5" toptube but feels pretty long when you are standing due to the placement of the bb relative to the h-bar. the giant glory truthfully is a very long bike though and i like it. i had a very short test ride though. also i'm 6'5" myself

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The OP did some serious due diligence. Good for you, sir. The Giant Glory is an excellent bike for a bigger rider. That would be my recommendation. It's also what I chose for myself, and have had for two years.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Zumbi F44 comes in 23.75 but you can get it custom so it can be longer
2stage elite 9 - 24.5

wow 18in cs....why
Some pros like long stays. According to new dirt the Athertons like to run them ridicolously long...

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Wow is right! Back in the day all anybody could say were that Rotecs had stupid long CS's at 18 inch now it seems its back and in vogue with some mfg's go figure.

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
Check out Turner. They make XXL in their more XC and trail models. I am not that familiar with the DH side but usually pay attention to such things as well due to my height.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
you guys do realize that even effective top tube isn't a very accurate way of measuring a bikes size right?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
you guys do realize that even effective top tube isn't a very accurate way of measuring a bikes size right?
I posted this concept in measuring the top tube(for lack of better words) years ago. Like mentioned earlier in this thread...BB to head tube. Not down tube really but the distance between two virticle lines drawn through the BB and the top of the head tube. :) Even did a quick MSPaint rendition for a visual.

RhinofromWA

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I posted this concept in measuring the top tube(for lack of better words) years ago. Like mentioned earlier in this thread...BB to head tube. Not down tube really but the distance between two virticle lines drawn through the BB and the top of the head tube. :) Even did a quick MSPaint rendition for a visual.

RhinofromWA
i had a thread on it too. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195128

i called the measurement the front center, which is wrong really. front center is the distance between the bb and the front axle.

i followed the convention used by turner, and the only difference between your convention and turners is that tuner uses the bottom head set cup. yours is the top head set cup, small difference but still important.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
i had a thread on it too. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195128

i called the measurement the front center, which is wrong really. front center is the distance between the bb and the front axle.

i followed the convention used by turner, and the only difference between your convention and turners is that tuner uses the bottom head set cup. yours is the top head set cup, small difference but still important.
lol I thought it was lost it was so old. What is strange is they are almost exactly a year apart. :eek:

Back in '04 (crap that was a long time ago)
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95286&highlight=Rhino+top+tube

Then in '05 :)
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128224&highlight=Rhino+top+tube

Interesting. I chose the top of the head tube because that is where everything goes that you will eventually hold on to. Head tube length and angle can change the location of the top of the head tube in realtion to a verticle line comming from the BB.

More detail would be distance (vertically and horizontaly) from each other. Atleast that is how my mind works... could be way off. Wouldn't be the first won't be the last. :)