Quantcast

Large, Low, Light and very Grippy Pedals

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
You showed me really nice pedals.

The Atomlab looks great but some of you had bad problems with them...

so the Easton Flatboy could be a good option.

but i noticed also those pedals:

Tioga Surefoot MX.

What do you think Easton or Tioga?
I think there are a lot of fans of the Tiogas, myself included. A common complaint is that the pins frequently rip out of the pedal and damage the threads. It looks like the ones pictured have purpose made pins instead of the set screws that came on mine. I doubt that would change any thing but, maybe they have updated the alloy of the body as well?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i just got the aircorps and had the retaining c-clip pop in the parkinglot pre-ride and the pedal body came clean off the spindle. i thought they fixed that issue. time for me to get a new pair.

update - I just got an email back (same day) from Atom Lab. They stated the clip was likely installed incorrectly and is weaker now that it has popped. Atomlab is sending me a set of beefed up new clips and noted that there are differences between the two sides of each clip and that the shiny side goes on facing the pedal body, with the rougher side facing outward. let's see what that does.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Get some Kona Wah-wahs. The pedal body is basically the same as Aircorps, but they have a proper sealed bearing system so they won't crap out after a week of riding. They're also less than half the price, and lighter (478g).

I've had them for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty impressed with them. Just as grippy as the Atomlabs (e.g very grippy), platform is just as wide and low profile. Pins screw in from the back aswell so no hassle trying to replace damaged pins etc. Only complaint (well hardly a complaint) is that the pins are quite thin and sharp so they'll eat up your shins if you slip a pedal.

I had some of the 07 Aircorp slim-lines for about 6 months. After about a week of riding on them (in the summer and not being very hard on them) they started having a noticeable amount of play on the axle and making bloody annoying creaking and cracking noises. Both circlips also snapped so the pedal body fell right off the spindle (although next years ones have a bolt as opposed to a circlip holding them on). Took them back to get fixed but another week later and they're back to how they were before.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
All you guys recommending the aircorps: Are you having to constantly readjust the tension on those things?

I stuck some on my dirtjumper and they keep coming loose.
I have two pair; one old style with a nut, one new style with the c-clip.
The old pair require regular maintenance and would develop play/slop in less than 6 months. I just rebuilt them over the weekend in fact. I replaced the rubber oring on the inboard side of the spindle and found that to be the trick. They still spin freely but don't have any side2side play.

I have 1.5 years or so on the new c-clip style on my DOC and haven't done a damn thing to that pair other than replace a pin or two. Lucky me.

I'd buy another pair of Aircorps to replace the old style pair, no question. If Atomlab made an identical design but lighter (mag?) I'd be thrilled, as they aren't the lightest.

what about Transition Stepdowns? theyre only $60 and personally, i think that they would work great...i'm not sure how tall they are but they seem like they would be nice in really any situation...

now, ive never had experience on these pedals, but plan on buying them to complete my new rig... i just wanted to chime in a new opinion...

**i like those Tiogas though**(new pins personally)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aye... Beware of the lo-pro bearings. They run off a 4 bearing system I do believe. Two needle, and two standard on the outboard of the axle. The only problem with this setup, is needle bearings WILL develope some place over time. I rode mine all summer and as of now, they have developed enough play to be noticeable. But, even if the bearing do blow, the pedal wont come flying off the axle/cause any catastrophic failure.
That's interesting, because the original lo-pro mag had just one bushing and one bearing, and they developed play all the time too. Seems like a running issue with them, for various reasons each revision I guess.

I think they're a nice pedal and rate the reverse entry pins, but they're not that light (498g) so I switched to MG-1's. I reckon wellgo's bearing/bushing system is much better designed and seems to run forever with no maintenance. Yeah the pins rip out over time but I've found you can replace them at least once before you need new pedals (and they're cheap off ebay). I get 1-2 seasons out of mine.

Neither pedal has a real wide platform though (in fact the MG-1 is slightly bigger than the lo-pro) so I'd look elsewhere if that's a requirement.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
did they have negatives?
what were they?
i just want to know for personal gain...
most of the static i heard was regarding durability. nobody felt that the grip was poor or that the things fell apart while riding (*cough*atomlab*cough*). however, they felt the quality wasn't up to snuff for riding in the wet PNW, taking the abuse of the stunt riddled trails they hit. they said that for the price, they felt the internals should have lasted longers. most seemed to favor cheaper "disposable" pedals.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
what about Transition Stepdowns? theyre only $60 and personally, i think that they would work great...i'm not sure how tall they are but they seem like they would be nice in really any situation...

now, ive never had experience on these pedals, but plan on buying them to complete my new rig... i just wanted to chime in a new opinion...

**i like those Tiogas though**(new pins personally)
I had the Steps for a bit didn't like them, my foot just felt uncomfortable the whole time like I had to keep adjusting..

I have had the SYncros Mags all season they are great pedals light and super grippy with a 5:10 Shoe way to grippy in my opinion. When I switched to riding with my old Adidas shoes they felt good just the right amount of grip, but like I said with the 5:10 i felt almost clipped in sometimes. So the Syncros Mags are great I got them new for $100 which was good cause I wouldn't pay $200 for pedals, the other thing is rocks really scar them up big time but thats any mag pedal..

I never liked 5050 had a set once and they crapped on me, but I just got a set of 5050xx for free so I threw them on my AM bike and they feel awesome with my 5:10 perfect amount of grip nice big platform I think the combo is 5:10 and 5050xx // Syncros Mags with a not so sticky shoe like a Nike 6.0 or Vans whatever.. Oh and wear shin pads with the Syncros I learned the hard way..

But if I were to get a new pedal and wanted to keep it in the $100 range the Atomlab Aircorps they are sweet. My buddy has them on his BR and they just felt perfect for my foot that is my next pedal for sure... But I need to buy more parts like I need a hole in my head...

All in all I think pedals is all personal preference,just my .02

most of the static i heard was regarding durability. nobody felt that the grip was poor or that the things fell apart while riding (*cough*atomlab*cough*). however, they felt the quality wasn't up to snuff for riding in the wet PNW, taking the abuse of the stunt riddled trails they hit. they said that for the price, they felt the internals should have lasted longers. most seemed to favor cheaper "disposable" pedals.
interesting, that sways me away from them...

does anyone have experience on those Tioga surefoot MX's? they look interesting... but hopefully not to the same fate as the Transitions...

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Nothin wrong with A-frames. I've had a few pairs, and they hold up really well. I'm about 205, and pretty hard on pedals, and after repeated smashings on the big rocks at Snowshoe and a few other East Coast areas, the only problems are a few missing pins. No bearing problems or pedal body breaks or anything like that. They have my vote.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Get some Kona Wah-wahs. The pedal body is basically the same as Aircorps, but they have a proper sealed bearing system so they won't crap out after a week of riding. They're also less than half the price, and lighter (478g).

I've had them for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty impressed with them. Just as grippy as the Atomlabs (e.g very grippy), platform is just as wide and low profile. Pins screw in from the back aswell so no hassle trying to replace damaged pins etc. Only complaint (well hardly a complaint) is that the pins are quite thin and sharp so they'll eat up your shins if you slip a pedal.

I had some of the 07 Aircorp slim-lines for about 6 months. After about a week of riding on them (in the summer and not being very hard on them) they started having a noticeable amount of play on the axle and making bloody annoying creaking and cracking noises. Both circlips also snapped so the pedal body fell right off the spindle (although next years ones have a bolt as opposed to a circlip holding them on). Took them back to get fixed but another week later and they're back to how they were before.
Large, really low profile, grippy, reasonably light, well made, and cheap. I bet if they didn't have the Kona label they'd be the most popular pedals out

Attachments

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
interesting thread - I am looking for new pedals that are grippy, light, and low profile but also CONCAVE any suggestions besides straitlines? are those kona pedals concave?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Interesting comments reference the Wellgo MG1's & being on the small side.

I've been looking at getting some Ti axle'd MG1's because they weight less than 300g for a set, but I can't cope with small pedals.

Just how small are we talking? DMR V series small? Or bigger?

I've ran Flatboys for years now, they have been nothing short of brilliant for me. The only trouble is, they are a bit of a fatty :(

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah they're really not small by any means, definitely bigger than DMR V's in terms of actual foot contact area.

They're fairly common, try and find a pair somewhere to get an idea of what they're like. Otherwise I'll go measure mine, but I'm pretty lazy.

The Ti axles on the other hand are super rare and cost a LOT. The only place I know of that has them is an online store called "Alan's BMX", but the prices are enough of a rip that I'd save weight (spend) on other components well before those.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
those tiogas pictured on page 3 SUCK...someone gave me a pair and besides generally sucking, I bent them in about 8 minutes.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
those tiogas pictured on page 3 SUCK...someone gave me a pair and besides generally sucking, I bent them in about 8 minutes.
werd...I used to like them until I started bending the axles. I got a full box of bent ones at home :plthumbsdown: some of which I bent within the first ride.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
-I had a set of A-labs that fell off riding (eh-bout two seconds after landing a drop)
That said, A-Lab Mike replaced them real fast & I've been beating the hell out of them since (several years) w/ no issues at all. I'm very happy w/ them (it was pretty scary though). Perfect w/ the 5.10 shoes too. Good width and shape seems to deflect hits well. New AL pedals have a saftey factor designed in I think.
-The Kona pedal ^ looks really nice too. If they really sell rebuild kits I'd buy a pair. Might be my next pedal if they can be had cheap.

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
are wellgo mg-1 pedals concave?

how do they compare in size to other pedals like straitlines or syncros mentals? are they really that much smaller? for a size 10.5 foot...

dondon

Monkey
Crank Brothers 5050 XX:

http://www.crankbrothers.com/5050_xx.php

Wih long pins and Five Tens: super grippy, good weight, good price and look pimp
Heres that combo locked in and leaned over, bars dragging dirt. I noticed here that the flat pedal riders stayed on their pedals more than the spd riders who almost all took foot out on this turn. Anyone guess the location?

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've seen a few pairs of the Crank Brothers 5050s seperate completely. They're also not concave enough for my liking.

I'm running Easton Flatboys on the Sunday at the moment and love them. The Funn Souljams I've got on my Double are great (and lighter than the Flatboys) but they're as big as a piece of toast and I was smashing them on stuff all the time when I ran them on the Sunday. The Eastons also have a more round end profile that stops them from digging in too much when you drag them or clip them on stuff.

If you want a nice big platform for your feet, I'd recommend the Flatboys, Souljams or the Easton Cullys if you can find a set.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Those kona pedals look like the have the profile of the fancy cnc-boutique brands, except with more proven bearing/axle setup.

I'd get a set if I was in the market.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
I have the fnn vipers and replaced the pins w/longer pins the pedals cover a large portion of my foot,my brother'n law has the same and wears a 11 1/2 and never has any problems even though the rockiest terrain.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Stop posting your pedals till you have some for sale man. I want them and can't get them and every time I go on here to try and decide what my next pedals are there you go posting your pedals again and wrecking my hope-o-meter.
:clapping: i second that!!!! no more spam until you got some purchasable products DOOD