Quantcast

Large, Low, Light and very Grippy Pedals

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I need new pedals to replace Wellgo MG1.

I rode them 2 months but i don't like them, they are too small for my big feet, so i want something larger.

I'm looking as i sayed for a large platform, possibly a low profile since the bb height it's preatty slow on my sunday, and if possible leight to save some weight.

But the most important thing is that they must have a lot of grip!!!

They also need to be strong enough to eat some rocks, i have really rocky trails over here, and the wellgo only after 2 months they look preatty old.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
New style Atomlab Aircorps look really good. A few people I know have them and have had good luck. They are really thin, quite grippy and, apparently, more reliable than the older versions. I had an older set and they were pretty good, but the bearings/bushings didn't last too well. Since the new ones should fix that and are considerably thinner, they might be a good bet.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I need new pedals to replace Wellgo MG1.

I rode them 2 months but i don't like them, they are too small for my big feet, so i want something larger.

I'm looking as i sayed for a large platform, possibly a low profile since the bb height it's preatty slow on my sunday, and if possible leight to save some weight.

But the most important thing is that they must have a lot of grip!!!

They also need to be strong enough to eat some rocks, i have really rocky trails over here, and the wellgo only after 2 months they look preatty old.
For what it's worth there are really only 3 pedals worth considering. They come at a price, but for good reason.

Burgtec Penthouse flats

Atomlab Aircorp

Easton Fatboys

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's some good options:

azonic a-frames (my personal fav - i've smashed the heck out of them. they are a fairly low profile and very grippy - i wear vans shoes).

specilized low pro mags - super low profile, grippy

straitlines - lowest profile, best grip (according to reviews). use the search function, sick lines did a review of them

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look at funn soljam vipers, I run them and they are really grippy and fit my large feet well
Those are probably the best traction pedals I've ever used.

I had them on my dirtjump bike and actually didn't like them because it was tough to take my feet off.

Rode them on my dh bike for a little while but bent the spindle when I hit a rock. They're so freakin big, I hit rocks that I never even knew were there with other pedals riding the same lines over a hundred times.

Not very impressed with the bearings/internals.

I've also got some spec lo pros........not too grippy stock, but I replaced 3 pins per side on the periphery and they're great. Considering how bomber the bearing setup seems to be, I think it's worth getting these and spending a few measly bucks on longer pins.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
had some spec lowpros that were fine, but nothing crazy in the grip department and they were two small for my feet. Plus they were pretty flat, and I like my pedals to be a little more concave.

Just switched to syncros mentals, and they're amazing, totally grippy, light, thin profile and decent size platform. Can give literally no information on how they hold up since i've had them 3 days. If they hold up well they'll be everything i'd ever hoped for

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
I really like my Truvativ Holzfellers. The really thin, long pins on them make for some pretty amazing grip. My favorite flat pedals out of all I've tried.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the straitlines are very grippy and will last forever. if they don't, they have some great customer service (yeah greg) that will get you back on track right away. i for one have never had any problems with my straitlines, the finish is gorgeous, the cnc work is art, and most importantly, they are very beefy. they're not the lightest out there, but they feel incredibly solid and are the lowest profile pedals i've had the privilege of owning. maintenance is easy too since they run on self lubricating polymer bushings. the grip has worked great for me with the stock pins because it isn't ever really too wet out here and my shoes also have a sole pattern that locks over each pin. otherwise, they offer sharper pins. i know i sound like i'm totally marketing the pedal, but i really do love them. the price is steep compared to other offerings, but they have lasted better than any other pedal i've owned. the platform is GINORMOUS, so your feet will like them.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
everyone that i know that has them loves them.
referring to lo-pro mags...

I have had two pairs, good for dirt jumping, but quite small and not super grippy. Also both my pairs are now destroyed, one was quite short lived. For DH the easton flatboys are tough to beat.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
For the record, I'm an atomlab believer.

I run the Trailkings on my DJ bike, and the aircorps my friends have are much bigger, and the Trailkings are already pretty big, and super grippy.

thats my 2 cents.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I run the FUNN viper pedals as well. They are awesome, I put smaller pins (and less of them) for my hardtail for jumping and tricks though, the longer/more pins work awesome for dh though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All you guys recommending the aircorps: Are you having to constantly readjust the tension on those things?

I stuck some on my dirtjumper and they keep coming loose.
Mine have been fine on both bikes they are on. I have heard that some of them had a wave washer for preload...mine have an elatomer/o-ring for that duty. I have also heard of people having the circlip 'self-remove'. None of mine have been a problem.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
All you guys recommending the aircorps: Are you having to constantly readjust the tension on those things?

I stuck some on my dirtjumper and they keep coming loose.

Mine have some play but the circlip hasn't come off. kidwoo, what are you doing to readjust tension besides a full rebuild?

I love the feel of these pedals, if they could get the internals set they'd be the best pedals out there.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
couldnt tell you about the others, but the Straitlines are somethin else, I love mine - thin, burly, pretty (even with the gauges and such) and they make me happy.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Look at funn soljam vipers, I run them and they are really grippy and fit my large feet well
another vote for funn, my pins felt like new even after 2 years of riding!

and they took some nasty rock hits at races and in whistler and some shuttling.

EDIT: all the pedals ive read through on this thread, arent near as light as the welgo. there are in the 500-600gram range. maybe there a few in the mid 400's

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I have also heard of people having the circlip 'self-remove'. None of mine have been a problem.
A buddy of mine did that last weekend. Unfortunately for him he was in mid air when it happened. Not so great.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I have bad experiences with the 2007 atomlab aircorp slimline pedals.
I ruined 2 sets of cranks with the first set of pedals then received a new set of pedals and ruined another crankset.
They milled down the pedal thread too far so my hone and 2 xt cranksets could take it. It probably would have worked with a crank with steel insert.

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pedalbp8.jpg

clockworked

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
AUS
24 seven's slackers are the best pedals ever.
they aren't really slimline, but they are better than grip than any pedal pedal i've ridden; including atomlabs, burgtecs, 50:50 full of long pins, a frames, and souljams

and as far as i remember they're the biggest platform

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Bamb......this is wahat I run. Syncros mental magnesiums. 400 grams with the supplied shorter pins (the long ones would amputate your leg without armor) And the grip with even the shorter pins is absolutely amazing. Best pedals by a large margin that I have ever had, and I've had a lot of good pedals.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
everyone that i know that has them loves them.
In all honesty, I think they run too many pins. I ran them all summer long, and thought they were the greatest pedals ever made. Then i switched to sealed jimc trail mixes... and I have been so impressed with them. They're heavy, not as low profile, but take a beating, and are incredibly concave. I like the feeling of my foot falling down into the pedal rather than floating on top of it.

Though.. Once I get my 5.10's... We'll see which comes on top. I'll be getting a pair of DMR v12 mags here in another month or so. They seem real kickass

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I've also got some spec lo pros........not too grippy stock, but I replaced 3 pins per side on the periphery and they're great. Considering how bomber the bearing setup seems to be, I think it's worth getting these and spending a few measly bucks on longer pins.
:imstupid:

I now have Mag Low-Pro's on all my bikes now...super bomb proof and I also replaced the edge pins with longer ones but kept the shorter ones in the middle...perfect grip now.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
You showed me really nice pedals.

The Atomlab looks great but some of you had bad problems with them...

so the Easton Flatboy could be a good option.

but i noticed also those pedals:

Tioga Surefoot MX.

What do you think Easton or Tioga?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Mine have some play but the circlip hasn't come off. kidwoo, what are you doing to readjust tension besides a full rebuild?

I love the feel of these pedals, if they could get the internals set they'd be the best pedals out there.
I rode them for about two days and they started creaking like crazy.

I did a full rebuild, cleaned etc and then they started doing it again after another few days dirtjumping. I haven't taken them apart a second time yet.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Aye... Beware of the lo-pro bearings. They run off a 4 bearing system I do believe. Two needle, and two standard on the outboard of the axle. The only problem with this setup, is needle bearings WILL develope some place over time. I rode mine all summer and as of now, they have developed enough play to be noticeable. But, even if the bearing do blow, the pedal wont come flying off the axle/cause any catastrophic failure.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i just got the aircorps and had the retaining c-clip pop in the parkinglot pre-ride and the pedal body came clean off the spindle. i thought they fixed that issue. time for me to get a new pair.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
:imstupid:

I now have Mag Low-Pro's on all my bikes now...super bomb proof and I also replaced the edge pins with longer ones but kept the shorter ones in the middle...perfect grip now.
am I the only one out there hating those? friend had some on his specialized and they where anything but nice, slippery with the stock pins, not wide enough, not enough of a concave shape, and they came pretty loose in like less than 3 months... needless to say, he was pretty dissapointed