Quantcast

Larger Volume Tires

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
I'm running the Continental Vertical 2.3 tires which are pitifully small for 2.3s. Who has experience with WTB 2.24 Moto Raptors and/or WTB 2.24 Mutanoraptors? Are these much bigger? I was planning to run the Mutanoraptors up front and motos on the rear because I've heard the mutanos were a little bigger?
Thanks

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Have you though about maybe 2.4 mutanos? Motos (2.4) are on the heavy side and did not really impress me when I tried them a few years back.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
I have, and suposedly from what some people said on MTBR was that wtb messed up on the sizing and the 2.24 mutano raptors and larger, more aggressive, and heavier that the 2.4 mutano raptors. Have you used both? And would you know if the 2.24 mutanos are bigger than the 2.24 motos? they're probably about the same.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i briefly used the 2.4 mutano "race" version tires. Light, high volume, quick rolling but traction was not that great. You might want to check out the Kenda Cortez in a 2.4.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
I'm not so sure a "true" 2.3 or above tire will fit on my bike because it's leaned more towards xc. My friend just got the 2.24 motos in the back and mutanos in the front, both race versions, and loved it after we rode today. I think I'm just going to try that out and see how it goes for me
Thanks for the help guys

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
are you sure? How would bigger tubes make the tire fatter? wouldn't that have the same effect as pumping up the tires to the max psi?

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
yeah with a smaller tube it will only streach to a certain amount (whatever the max size is). but if the tube is 2.3 then it will stretch and the tire will be the max size (2.3)

my dad has a 2.2 tire but only like a 2.1 tube and its teeny. he has a 2.2 on the fron with a 2.25 tube and its huge.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
yea but haven't you ever inflated a tube outside the tire? they can get pretty huge, like 4 inches huge. I don't see how a 2.1 tube wouldn't stretch past 2.1 inches I think your theory is wrong

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
BIRDMAN111 said:
yeah with a smaller tube it will only streach to a certain amount (whatever the max size is). but if the tube is 2.3 then it will stretch and the tire will be the max size (2.3)

my dad has a 2.2 tire but only like a 2.1 tube and its teeny. he has a 2.2 on the fron with a 2.25 tube and its huge.
And monkey's fly out my butt. Tube size is irrelevant to tire size. Try and pump 30psi into just a tube and see how large it gets.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
i know a tube will expand to like four inces out side of a tire but not inside. not only does a tube expand when inflated a tire does as well to some extent. and if you have a smaller tube it wont be able to expand the tire as well as one made for that tire size.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
I run presta tubes and there aren't too many specifically for 2.24 tires, there're the 2.4+ tubes and the 2.0-2.2 tubes
can you point me out to some?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
umberto said:
I run presta tubes and there aren't too many specifically for 2.24 tires, there're the 2.4+ tubes and the 2.0-2.2 tubes
Don't worry about it. The only benefit of a bigger tube is that a smaller tube is going to stretch a little thinner and be slightly easier to puncture.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
umberto said:
I've got a Sharpie you can borrow to write whatever number you want on the box.

I've been told by "people" that many tubes you buy in different boxes are from the exact same production line.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
umberto said:
I have, and suposedly from what some people said on MTBR was that wtb messed up on the sizing and the 2.24 mutano raptors and larger, more aggressive, and heavier that the 2.4 mutano raptors. Have you used both? And would you know if the 2.24 mutanos are bigger than the 2.24 motos? they're probably about the same.
That is correct.. sorta.

The 2.24 Mutano's are heavier than the 2.4's.
The 2.4 Mutano's aren't intended to be 2.4 inches wide, they are 2.4 inches tall. They still fit most xc rigs and have a lot of air volume.

If you ride in a lot of roots/rocks the extra height can transform your bike. They roll fast too.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I swear by the 2.24 Mutanos for my trail bike, and the 2.4 Mutanos for my xc hardtail.

I find them to be very good on singletrack and anything hardpacked, but they can get a little squirly when the trail gets a little loose.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
Biscuit said:
I've been told by "people" that many tubes you buy in different boxes are from the exact same production line.
wow i believe it

so now companies are measuring tires by how tall they are? what happened to 2.4" being how wide a certain tire was

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
umberto said:
wow i believe it

so now companies are measuring tires by how tall they are? what happened to 2.4" being how wide a certain tire was
As far as I know, that is the only tire like that.

It's a little weird though, there is no standard as to how a tire is measured. Meaning to the edge of the knobs, edge of the sidewall, overall casing width can vary dramatically. That's why a Kenda 2.3 is about the same size as a Maxxis 2.5. Which makes comparing tire weights tricky.

The same goes for durometers. 60d doesn't actually mean anything from brand to brand. It's all relative to each individual companies product line.

As for the tubes.. I recommend you buy wal-mart tubes with the Japanese name (akira, shakira, something like that). They are exactly the same as another hyped up "premium" tube.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
well if my opinion is anything, i would get a panoracer fire xc for the back (only 2.1) and a tioga DH tire for the front (2.3) i have that and i love it. you only need a real fat tire for the front for steering but you can run them on both sides

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
well I want a little more cushion front and back because my bike is not a plush all mountain bike, even though I treat it like one

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
oh i have full suspension but it's somthing like 2.7 inches in the rear, not enough for too techincal of downhill or jumps and stuff, just my preference

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Tioga Blue Dragon 2.3s are a really good all around tire. They roll decent when new but once they get worn down a bit they get faster. I also get pretty good life out of them.

In general look for the ISO width. Its usually a two part number the first being the casing width the second the width of the tread.

The 2.4 mutano raptor race is 55, while the tioga 2.3 is 58. Go figure.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
ok, i installed the 2.24 mutanos front and motos rear. i don't like the setup, not only are front and back noticably heavier, only the front tire is bigger than my continental verticals. the rear motos are tiny looking, hardly 2.1s. I bought a pair of each tire so i'm want to run the 2.24 mutanos front and back now. My question is about the rear tire, should i run it backwards in the back? My guess is it will shorten life for more grip, but is that a lot of added wear for a little more grip and more rolling resistance?
Thanks a bunch

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Kenda is going the way of hi-volume. The sent me some 2.2" Karma's (they call them Cortez in that size) and 2.3" Small block 8's that are preposterously fun to ride due to their lightweight and high air volume.

The Shortracker Semi-slick is also very high volume and works great for XC use as well as DH use

The XC casing one is very heavy, and it rolls very slowly as the contact patch is huge and the casing is giant, but if you run it pretty hard it is fun as hell for sliding the turns.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what do you think about those small blocks? that's a tire i'm interested to try out. looks like it would make a great rear tire as long as the conditions weren't too muddy.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
:Disclaimer:
I ride for Kenda, and they take very good care of me
:Disclaimer:

The small block 8 pisses all over the Larsen TT in every respect. It is a great front or rear tire and is suprisingly VERy, Very grippy on roots and in moisture (just not in anything peanut buttery)

The astronomical number of working edges is what provides the great traction, and it is a very predictable cornering tire.

The tiny knobs almost make it feel like you are running suction cups instead of tread when you are cornering hard or climbing on loose stuff, but they still roll very fast.

I REALLy want a DH casing 2.35 for the back of my DH bike, as it rolls much faster than the shortracker.

It corners better than the Karma/Cortez, especially on slacker bikes (my trailbike has a 65 degree head angle). It is also more predictable feeling than the nevengal on hardpack, and slightly better than the Blue groove on the hardpack. The bluegroove has it beat up front when it's slightly looser, as the shoulder knobs are sometimes not open enough to really hook up for DH-style cornering in soft-over hardpack conditions.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
but they are still pretty light, and roll well. i've been using them for over 5 years and are my defacto rear tire.
Yep, my post was based on the visual of those on your bike during the MMcG freedom ride.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Tube size isn't terribly important as long as you are within range by .25 or so. I have used 1.75 in a 1.9 to 2.1 lot's of times. The only caveat is that a small tube will be a bit thinner as it has to expand more to fit larger casings and more prone to pinch flats. For the last time tube size has NO BEARING ON TIRE SIZE. The tire casing holds in the air. It does not matter if the air is kept in by a small diameter tube, large tube or stan's sealant, the casing size determines tire size.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
FYI, the 2.24 Motoraptor is slightly larger than your "standard" 2.1...like it should be. I'm currently running one on rear on my 1996 XC race hardtail with no tire clearance (doesn't fit 2.25 Cinder), to give you an idea of its size.