Quantcast

largest tire to fit ASX?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Hey guys. Can you tell me what's the largest tire you've comfortably run in the rear of your ASX? I realize that there's a discrepency between claimed and actual size, so if you would tell me what size and make/model of tire that would be most usefull. Thanks in advance!

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
I've run Maxxis Minion DHR in 2.7 size without troubles, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get anything bigger in there.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Hmm, I've run a 2.35 maxxis instinct (you can't even get them anymore, measure close to a 2.5) in the granny ring/big cog combo the chain would rub on the tire occasionally, never did cause any problems that I know of but it would happen. I've got a 2.35 highroller now with plenty of room.

Are you supposed to have that spacer ring behind the driveside bottom bracket cup with a truvativ "universal" bottom bracket? The shop put it in there originally but I told them to take it out because according to the chart on the box it didn't belong there but I've since wondered if my chainline would be a little better and the tire wouldn't rub on the chain if I did have that spacer in there.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Hmmmm, I don'y know anything about a bottom bracket spacer. I built my bike up myself, so...
I want to put a wider BB in the bike anyway; right now my chainline is great but my chain rubs againts the front derailler when I'm in my lowest gear, and there's no more adjustmnet to the front derailler. The cranks rotate pretty close to the swingarm anyway. I have no chain/tire rub at all with 2.3 tires, but I might get that with bigger rubber.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
2.7 Maxxis works, but under hard cornering or braking, they can rub, I play it safe and run the 2.5 High Roller , thats with a single ring and MRP setup though. ASX takes a 73mm Shell, so you dont need to run the spacer unless you want the extra 2.5mm on the drive side..

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So why does my chain rub with a smaller tire and everybody else says they can run a 2.7?

I have one of the first '03s, I know echo got his the same time as me, what vintage are everybody else's? Did they change something besides that swinglink/toptube area for '04?