Quantcast

Las Vegas

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm heading out for a work conference in June. Wifey will be joining me for the second 1/2 of the trip. We're going to rent a car and head over to the Grand Canyon. Is there anything worth seeing while I'm out there?

PS. we don't care about gambling, shows, etc......

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm heading out for a work conference in June. Wifey will be joining me for the second 1/2 of the trip. We're going to rent a car and head over to the Grand Canyon. Is there anything worth seeing while I'm out there?

Hoover dam. Bootleg canyon near Boulder city.
Also, I would skip the GC and head north to Utah - Zion & Bryce.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yes. lots.
Grand Canyon is meh. Especially for a day trip.
Zion is a day trip away & much cooler if you ask me.
Valley of fire is pretty neat-o. Red Rocks is cool too. Mt. Charleston area has tons of great hikes up out of the desert. 12,000' peak up there & ancient bristlecones. Pretty rad place & always MUCH cooler than anything in the Valley.
Tecopa, CA 2 hours away has some funky hot springs & really cool date farm & is close to Death Valley NP.
Lake Mead is OK but the shoreline has receded so far down you have drive down sketchy gravel roads for the secluded spots But still cool.
The Dam is only cool if you can a tour which is pretty sweet.
Eat in China town avoid the strip.
Downtown is cool for people watching.
If you wanna know more, ask. I lived there for a bit.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Depending on how much driving you're willing to do, after Zion you could do the slot canyons in Page and go back to Vegas via Flagstaff and Sedona. It would be a lot of driving for such a short time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Don't listen to these "don't go to the GC" fools. Head down the long road to the north rim (it's way closer than the south rim) - go out to the overlooks, as well as taking a hike down into the canyon. And make sure to eat a meal in the lodge on the north rim. Spectacular... and the food was pretty good too.

Also - Red Rocks canyon just west of Vegas.

June's going to be hotter than the surface of the sun... so keep that in mind.

Zion & Bryce are good reco's.

If, by some chance, the weather is cooler than normal, consider checking out Death Valley. But don't do it if the weather is normal or warmer-than-normal. Death Valley is a super-cool place. Geologically speaking...

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't listen to these "don't go to the GC" fools. Head down the long road to the north rim (it's way closer than the south rim) - go out to the overlooks, as well as taking a hike down into the canyon.

Also - Red Rocks canyon just west of Vegas.

June's going to be hotter than the surface of the sun... so keep that in mind.

Zion & Bryce are good reco's.

If, by some chance, the weather is cooler than normal, consider checking out Death Valley. But don't do it if the weather is normal or warmer-than-normal. Death Valley is a super-cool place. Geologically speaking...
If we are thinking of the same spot, its just a shade under 6 hours from Vegas. South rim is about 4 hours. To me thats too long of a drive for a day trip. However, just dont go to the GC. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if the kids aint with ya....just get hammered and do hip sprints with the wife....it is hot hell in june...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

everything about this just sounds like a bad idea.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
If we are thinking of the same spot, its just a shade under 6 hours from Vegas. South rim is about 4 hours. To me thats too long of a drive for a day trip. However, just dont go to the GC. :D
Right you are. Dunno what I was thinking about the N Rim being closer. Maybe because it's *way* closer to Denver. :D

But goddam... if you aren't gobsmacked when you visit the GC... I'm not sure you're human. YMMV.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
no really though. its quite pleasant in the shade too. 0-10% humidity is amazing!
Fuck off. I don't give a shit how dry it is. Anything over 95F is a goddam blast-furnace, regardless the humidity. I suppose if I can get in the shade at 100* with a non-stop supply of iced drinks and no wind... I might *survive* it. But fuck that shit. Who the fuck wants to live like that? :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Fuck off. I don't give a shit how dry it is. Anything over 95F is a goddam blast-furnace, regardless the humidity. I suppose if I can get in the shade at 100* with a non-stop supply of iced drinks and no wind... I might *survive* it. But fuck that shit. Who the fuck wants to live like that? :D
Oh yeah. I forgot you were from Michigan. :doh:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
driving cars at exotics racing is very much fun. e$$pensive, but fun.
Did this too. It was fun. Getting a lap in the SUV filled with people at those speeds was about as fun as driving one of the actual cars.

11/10 would definitely not return to Vegas.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hookers and blow man! Hookers and blow!
He can get all the Hookers and Blow he could ever want where he is from. By the time his kids and wife get settled in. He won't have the cash for Hookers and Blow. Besides all those Midwestern housewives who get abandoned by their Husbands will do just fine and probably pay for all the Blow you would ever be inclined to do. Sometimes they even have stacks of chips and have no idea what to do with them. Not that that has ever happened to me at a Convention...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If you want restaurant recs or actual fun stuff to do in Vegas (atomic testing museum & erotic heritage museum!) PM me
Ok cool, I'll send you a note. Would love some recommendations for places to eat and see.
I spoke with the other guy and his GF going with us. I think we're going to hit Zion one day, back to Vegas, then the West rim of the GC the next day. Other than that we'll be in Vegas learning how to Architect and eating In & Out Burger.