Quantcast

Laser printers

I think that my Canon D1120 printer has reached end of life. I'm not quite sure how to select a replacement.

I use it for printing, copying, and scanning, never for FAX. Don't need it to handle anything other than 8-1/2 x 11" paper (that said, I'd love to be able to print address labels on business size envelopes).

Suggestions?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a Brother HL-L8260CDW

whoa giant font from pasting

it prints. Toner cheaper on the big units like it. It does not scan.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How accurate do you need the scanning to be? If you're only doing the odd scan here and there, Microsoft and Google have some good apps which will scan, align and create a PDF using the camera on your phone.

How accurate do you need the scanning to be? If you're only doing the odd scan here and there, Microsoft and Google have some good apps which will scan, align and create a PDF using the camera on your phone.
I'm used to the Canon functionality and would prefer not to fuck around with a phone.

I'd also like a printer that's straight Ethernet, but that's probably a lost hope.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buy a Brother laser all-in-one in your budget with the features you want.

Unless you have very specific needs (like certain types of stock printing, photo printing, highly specialized scanning requirements), Brother laser printers are literally the only brand of printer that I recommend to anyone anymore.

They work, the ink doesn't dry up, they're affordable, the drivers aren't a pile of steaming shit that install five gigs worth of ancillary "printer monitoring" software, the network printing is reliable...

My mom has had this one for years now, I'm sure it's replaced by something else at this point. My dad and my father-in-law both have Brother laser printers at my recommendation. You can just pick a feature set you like from the Brother lineup.

There are some really great printers from HP and Canon, but they're only worth it if you have a niche need to fill.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Driver packages from the manufacturers are hilariously garbage and should be avoided at all costs..

I find using whatever Windows suggests is good enough these days.

Buy a Brother laser all-in-one in your budget with the features you want.

Unless you have very specific needs (like certain types of stock printing, photo printing, highly specialized scanning requirements), Brother laser printers are literally the only brand of printer that I recommend to anyone anymore.

They work, the ink doesn't dry up, they're affordable, the drivers aren't a pile of steaming shit that install five gigs worth of ancillary "printer monitoring" software, the network printing is reliable...

My mom has had this one for years now, I'm sure it's replaced by something else at this point. My dad and my father-in-law both have Brother laser printers at my recommendation. You can just pick a feature set you like from the Brother lineup.

There are some really great printers from HP and Canon, but they're only worth it if you have a niche need to fill.
Brother seems 100% sold out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have a brother ink jet at home (i know not what you are looking for precisely) but have been very happy with it. i also use it only for print and scan. we have been very happy with it. ours has wifi capabilities as well which is a nice touch. i can print shipping labels from the computer in my workshop.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Finally ordered a Brother HL-L2395DW.
Nice. I have the 2750dw. Been using brother printers since 2005. This one I got two years ago replaces that one from 2005. Generally pretty impressed. Others I have recommended them to have had similar success.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a 2350- big fan, except when it loses connection. The menu is tedious, but the printing is so easy. Changing wifi networks took me longer than I'd like to admit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn printers....

We have a spare HP printer here, so a team member thought hey lets use that and replace the two decade old cheque printer, that you have to beat with a stick to get to work sometimes.

This new printer won't accept any jobs when the driver is set to generic/text only. God dammit. :banghead: :banghead:

So now I had to say a prayer and download the driver (ahem...software package) from HP and find where it extracts the files to, before installing all that garbage. Luckily the drivers are nicely stored in a folder called drivers, once you find it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn printers....

We have a spare HP printer here, so a team member thought hey lets use that and replace the two decade old cheque printer, that you have to beat with a stick to get to work sometimes.

This new printer won't accept any jobs when the driver is set to generic/text only. God dammit. :banghead: :banghead:

So now I had to say a prayer and download the driver (ahem...software package) from HP and find where it extracts the files to, before installing all that garbage. Luckily the drivers are nicely stored in a folder called drivers, once you find it.
Buy a 3D printer and print printers.