Quantcast

LASIK in Congress

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So there are hearings about the procedure and why such drastic failures.

I'm disappointed that they seem so focused on getting solid info to patients. Good info won't change outcomes.

Making sure docs do their best and pre-screening is what's important.

Just seems like they're gonna push the burden onto patients.

I suppose I'm just ranting?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't had the procedure so I don't know - but are doctors doing an adequate job of informing patients of the extreme risks involved?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I haven't had the procedure so I don't know - but are doctors doing an adequate job of informing patients of the extreme risks involved?
I believe they are.

What I believe is that they're not doing a good enough job screening candidates. Obviously, they all look at the thickness of the cornea, but one common problem, that can become debilitating is, dryeyes.

My doctor did all sorts of qualifying tests, including tear production, but I'm hearing about other doctor's who aren't doing a good job qualifying candidate patients :(

I hope Congress doesn't shift blame/responsibility to the patients as knowing the risks really means nothing.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I got PRKed last month. My doc (An AF doc who has done almost 15k patients, 30k eyes with a less than 1% complication rate) was very thorough, and I went through almost 6 months of prep.
So far, everything is great and ahead of schedule. I am at 20/15 and getting better. No halos, double vision or other issues.
But it makes sense for the military to be very thorough, if it screws up I become a liability and non deployable. A little give and take going on...

But with civilian docs, I could see issues popping up, gotta suck money out as fast as possible with as little effort as possible.