Quantcast

>*< Last Gasp GMT>*<

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When I worked at Digital Equipment Corporation the ECO system was a fucked up bureaucracy.
Sure is.

Of course, it doesn't help that nobody learns proper documentation practices and structure. I can't tell you the number of documents I've encountered where section breaks were used instead of page breaks. 200+ page documents with unique footers on each page. White boxes to get rid of inconvenient information that are neither grouped nor embedded in images, so they'll float away if you change anything within the document. Captions and references that aren't linked, so you must change the entire numbering scheme instead of just updating all. It goes on and on...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Upper endoscopy for the wife is going to cost $2500 out of pocket. Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy for me is going to cost a total of $0. We go to the same doctor at the same facility. Toshi and scrublover need to fix this shit.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Upper endoscopy for the wife is going to cost $2500 out of pocket. Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy for me is going to cost a total of $0. We go to the same doctor at the same facility. Toshi and scrublover need to fix this shit.
maybe she could save $2,500 if the doctors just went in the long way.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Here. Outside christmas shit going up this weekend. Boss wants to have a "what are your career goals" conversation today. Get to go through a week of catch-up before EOD today. Meh.
May I suggest working towards a career goal that doesn't involve these conversations... like riding your bike to the post office and grocery store in sweatpants and sandals? Not reaching for the stars but well within my skillset so that's what Ima gonna do today.

Came to the monkey to find out if CNC wallets are still a thing. Want one.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
not on same insurance....?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
May I suggest working towards a career goal that involve doesn't involve these conversations... like riding your bike to the post office and grocery store in sweatpants and sandals? Not reaching for the stars but well within my skillset so that's what Ima gonna do today.

OH SHIT ITS YOU

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
May I suggest working towards a career goal that involve doesn't involve these conversations... like riding your bike to the post office and grocery store in sweatpants and sandals? Not reaching for the stars but well within my skillset so that's what Ima gonna do today.

MIDGE!!

They aren't last time I checked.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

our new tenants know you, Midge. I’ll try and remember the mother’s name, she lives in G.F.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Negative covi test - not that I thought I had it but seeing people tomorrow.

Picked up two growlers and some cans at a really good coop brewery. Could not be more local and money straight into the pocket of the people who deserves it. I got two 75cl growlers filled up and 4 cans of 50cl for 50 USD. I thought it was reasonable.

I really need to ride a bike and get some fresh air.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Negative covi test - not that I thought I had it but seeing people tomorrow.
Still don't be stupid around them. You could be presymptomatic/false negative and who knows what they are/have been up to.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did my first mountainbike ride on some properly technical trails since I have been having back problems. The ride neither made the back feel any better or any worse making the issue a little more confounding, but happing to be riding again.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Did my first mountainbike ride on some properly technical trails since I have been having back problems. The ride neither made the back feel any better or any worse making the issue a little more confounding, but happing to be riding again.
nice. what trails?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Now it's really not my fucking day. Just had a dialysis client pop their arterial port as we were loading. Blood in the vehicle , blood all over the walkway. At least the tech was with us. Took me 20 minutes to decon the rig. Client is back in the clinic to get the bleeding stopped. Barf and blood what a fun day
IMG_20201204_150119566~2.jpg

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my day was not nearly as fun as eric's, but i did have to suffer through an all-day department retreat. now, currently at home on the couch with a beer. things are looking up!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Attn @Adventurous and @SkaredShtles,
Changed belt in cx-5. Discovered that serpentine belt /= water pump belt. Water pump belt *did not* come up during any of my searching on various auto parts retailers websites. Cut the old one out, searched the part number on it. Found one half way across town. R&R was easy enough. 3 hours of my time, learning by doing including drive to pick up surprise belt. Parts were 30 bucks. Shop rate maybe hour and a half? Any semi competent home mechanic really ought to be able to do the job. Water pump belt was in pretty good shape, serpentine belt showed a number of cracks, maybe 10k left on it. Definitely wouldn't want to do it on the side of the road.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Attn @Adventurous and @SkaredShtles,
Changed belt in cx-5. Discovered that serpentine belt /= water pump belt. Water pump belt *did not* come up during any of my searching on various auto parts retailers websites. Cut the old one out, searched the part number on it. Found one half way across town. R&R was easy enough. 3 hours of my time, learning by doing including drive to pick up surprise belt. Parts were 30 bucks. Shop rate maybe hour and a half? Any semi competent home mechanic really ought to be able to do the job. Water pump belt was in pretty good shape, serpentine belt showed a number of cracks, maybe 10k left on it. Definitely wouldn't want to do it on the side of the road.
:thumb:

Got it on my to-do list, was hoping to schedule some shop time at the old man's house so I can lay on his nice garage floor and not a dirt driveway.

Any special tools required?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:thumb:

Got it on my to-do list, was hoping to schedule some shop time at the old man's house so I can lay on his nice garage floor and not a dirt driveway.

Any special tools required?
Nope, pretty standard stuff. I did use a couple plastic, paint stir sticks to pry the serpentine belt on. Tensioner doesn't really give a fella a lot of extra room, even when fully pried on. There is no tensioner for the water pump belt. Mazdas manual says to pull a rag up into the water pump pulley and use that to leverage the belt off. I just cut it. Finger pressure and turning the crank with a ratchet was enough to work the new one on the water pump pulley.

Edit to add:
Hardest part is getting all the bullshit plastic buttons that hold the wheel well trim out without breaking them. Might pick up some of those if you can.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As old as the rest of the car, about 5 years. The issue is that the belts seem to let loose earlier than one might expect, so I decided to replace them before I got a side of the road phone call from the wife.
When I used to daily drive my old Volvo I threw a belt at some point on the way to work. Of course I did not know this. It started a little slow, and the headlights seemed dim but it ran. As I was driving over the mountain pass I noticed the headlights were growing dimmer and dimmer. I didn't dare to stop knowing it wouldn't start again, assuming it was a charging problem. I managed to make it home with barely any headlights left and it was misfiring something awful with any major throttle inputs. At the end of it my battery only had 4 volts, the water pump never turned but thankfully the cold weather prevented it from overheating. They are dumb and innefficient but there is something to be said for the simplicity and durability of a carburetor and points ignition.

I threw the belt because a weld on my home made alternator bracket failed. Actually the alternator fell completely off but got trapped between the cross member and fire wall.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
As old as the rest of the car, about 5 years. The issue is that the belts seem to let loose earlier than one might expect, so I decided to replace them before I got a side of the road phone call from the wife.
Mmm yes, I'd rather like to avoid that. Already gotta get tires installed and do spark plugs, might as well add belts to the list.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Tire replacement for the blow out on the truck arrived. Got it mounted and balanced. Tomorrow I will jack the rig up, pull off the passenger set of dualls. install the new inner tire, remount the outer, tighten all the shit then but the spare back where it belongs. It will be nice doing it in daylight and not being one foot off the fog line on I5 with vehicles whizzing by at 75-80 mph.