Quantcast

Last minut serious advice....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I have this interview today, and it's the first in the legal field. before, engineering interviews I had a damn good idea as to what is going on, but here, well, its a new arena...

Any last minute thoughts? It's with a rather large law firm....

do I wear the super suit, or just a regular suit?

J

JRB

sirknight6 said:
Thanks dude!

hey, anyone have a xanex? :D
Nope, but a swift kick in the nuts should get your mind off of it. Good luck, bro.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sirknight6 said:
I have this interview today, and it's the first in the legal field. before, engineering interviews I had a damn good idea as to what is going on, but here, well, its a new arena...

Any last minute thoughts? It's with a rather large law firm....

do I wear the super suit, or just a regular suit?
There are so many different opinions when it comes to interviews and suits. I don't know what your "super suit" looks like, but I would say that a nice dark colored suit, a white shirt (that’s a must), and a conservative tie will work out best. I was once told that gray or pin-stripped suits are a “no go” when it comes to interviews—not sure I believe that logic.

You have to figure, you are going to be interviewed by lawyers, and they are known to be pretty sharp dressers, so they will certainly notice what you’re wearing…

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just remember, the first handshake is important. Make sure it's firm, you look the guy in the eye, and give him a quick ball-tap with the knuckles of your other hand just to make sure he knows who's in charge ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
binary visions said:
Just remember, the first handshake is important. Make sure it's firm, you look the guy in the eye, and give him a quick ball-tap with the knuckles of your other hand just to make sure he knows who's in charge ;)
LOL! Excellent and sound advice. :thumb:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
binary visions said:

Hell yeah, but the interview is with an educated woman...

Should I just grab her boob?...:think:

oh yeah...:D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
sirknight6 said:
Hell yeah, but the interview is with an educated woman...

Should I just grab her boob?...:think:

oh yeah...:D

Place your hand under one of her boobs, thoughtfully weigh it and then nod approvingly.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
sirknight6 said:
Thats my suit! :thumb:

Man, the interview was brutal. :eek:

I sorta did well...and sorta didn't....it was weird..

I'l post details in a bit...
How was the tit grab? Confident, I hope.

J

JRB

Tell details. Don't second guess yourself. Without bragging, I thought I did well last week, and it turned out that I did. Keep the chin up.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, well, the way it went was I filled out the initial paper work, application and that crap. I was taken to a conference room and was introduced to two ladies, attorneys. Everything went well, but they were a bit concerned about my desire to go to law school. THAT bugged me a bit.

So that was about 10 minutes, and when the one attorney left, an attractive black woman, warmly shook my hand and announced that she "peppered me with questions. She was a REAlly bright young lady, and was very impressed with her...she was personal, but professional enough to know why we were there. I believe I did well with those two.

The second two was a very well dressed black guy and an Asian fellow. Both impressive out of the shute. Again the questions were generic by nature. The one attorney asked me about Philadelphia, and his FIRST question was, "Pats or Gino's". I personally like Gino's, bit to be honest with you, there are better.

The next two were two young ladies, one, a senior paralegal, and the other an associate. I was REAL impressed with the attorney, and actually, in doing research with her particular case, was quit impressed with the knowledge I had with her case. The other young lady was quite impressed with the fact that I was not afraid of the challenge.

At this point I thought so far so good. I wanted to do more of the listening, but I was being question as if I were in an inquisition.

The final person I met with was the managing partner, and she was hard core, in a hurry. She showed concerns of my expectations; insomuch as what I was expecting to be given for consideration.

I told her, and I said something like, “I’ll look you right in the eyes and let you know, I realize what I am getting into, and that any compensation would be maybe only a little more then a brand spankin new paralegal.

I believe I won her over with the statement, “I am not trying to be arrogant, and if it does, I’m sorry, it is not meant to be, but I have a penchant for research. If you need it thoroughly researched, I’ll get it done.

That seemed to work. I feel good about the interview. I felt over-all good about it. Will I get the job…I feel it’s a 50/50 thing…

The question of law school is what killed me, and the issue with my school in some instances being a priority. First, the law school issue I told them that, as of right now I am un-employed, and since at this moment in time I am not employed here yet, that I will be going to Law school. I did say however, if I do begin working at their firm, I would have to seriously consider the future. I told them that one of my biggest faults was being FIERCLY loyal, and would certainly expect that from them. If I began working for them, and it became lucrative, then law school would be reconsidered.

I was honest with them, I researched their firm, and they know that I did, that I realized that I was a brand spankin new paralegal, but told them, I am in an interesting situation as I am new to this, and realized I will not make the same amount as design engineer.

Bottom line, and the truth, I would LOVE to work for this firm, but the fact that they wanted to deter me from law school was a concern.

So, I fvcked it up huh?

not necessarily. you were honest with them. that is what matters. hell when i interviewed for my current job they asked me what i thought about the product. i told them that i had issues with it. i hate proprietariness, but i understood why i didnt like it and explained that. i said i also liked other aspects of it. the key is being honest. that means they know what to expect. as you said you are loyal...well if you hadnt told them about it they wouldnt have thought otherwise, but you are hoenst from the get go and that does show loyalty. so there you go. sounds to me like it went well, who knows. let us know what the end result is for sure though

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you want to go to law school, and this firm gives you the impression they would not support that decision, I would look elsewhere. Good luck.

dan-o said:
If you want to go to law school, and this firm gives you the impression they would not support that decision, I would look elsewhere. Good luck.
well fi they say no once you start there is the option of quitting, if he is hourly he just needs 2 weeks, contractually just needs to wait for the contract to be up and looks like he is willing to wait and see how it goes so works either way.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Zman said:
well fi they say no once you start there is the option of quitting, if he is hourly he just needs 2 weeks, contractually just needs to wait for the contract to be up and looks like he is willing to wait and see how it goes so works either way.
I hear you but once you're relying on the income and enrolled in school it's hard to make a change, as I've learned from my bro-in-law's experiences.

ah yes, very true. but from the sound of it if they werent going to allow it they wont let him enroll while employed and it doesnt sound like he is already (i dont know for sure just goign off the thread) and would be considerate enough to check before enrolling