Quantcast

Latest Real Supercomputer from Tyan

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This ain't no Jobs RDF G5 bullsh*t but the real deal running big iron OS - Linux or Window Cluster Server 2003. This is Tyan's new AMD model but you can also get the "old" model in a 40 core Xeon model. Tyan's Xeon supercomputer start at just $15000.

These workstations aren't that big. Compared to a Mac Pro they are the same height but about 6" wider and 9" deeper and only requires a 400W larger PSU system (1kW vs 1.4kW) :crazy:

This new model, which Tyan calls the TyanPSC T-500 "personal super workstation", packs as many as ten dual-core Opteron 2200 processors (for a total of 20 cores) and as much as 80GB of DDR2 memory, all spread out over four compute nodes and a fifth head node. The head node also sports a PCI Express x16 slot, which can accommodate a high-end graphics card. For reference, the T-650QX system Tyan introduced last year supports ten quad-core Xeon chips (40 cores total) and a total 60GB of RAM, also spread out over five compute nodes.

Tyan says the new TyanPSC T-500 plugs into a standard wall outlet, although it does draw a maximum 1.4kW of power. As for noise levels, Tyan claims a "whisper quiet" 52dB. The machine is launching now with general availability set for next month. Pricing for the T-500 will start under $20,000, although speedier processors and larger amounts of memory are likely push the system's price above that.
Man thats pretty quiet if you live near a train station or major highway :thumb: :rofl:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Can I launch missiles with that? Cause if my spending that kinda money I'm going to expect to be able to launch missiles.
You can launch vast network of missles on the go :D

"Small form factor, portable (500 Series press release)"

"High Performance in Constrained spaces: Office, Remote, Plane, Boat, etc (T-650QX Product Page)"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only if by "regular room noise" you mean, people talking in that regular room or some other very audible sound not too far from you. Some music playing, maybe.

I wouldn't say that "whisper quiet" equates to "clearly audible anywhere in a room unless you have a noise source to drown it out."

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
It wont take that much to drown something like at that level considering that when I was using my db meter in my house and it was reading about that when the hvac was working.
52db is about 23db softer than the level that most people listen to the tv

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah its quiet for a system that probably fast as about 4-6 regular high-end workstations but its not whisper quiet among PC.

Wikipedia says the background noise in a restaurant

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
It's quieter than 5 standalone PC's. It's a real powerful system. I've seen them at the tyan office and several customers that I talked to earlier this month are looking at them. Plus, it should be able to be upgraded to quad core, so then you are looking at 40 cores in a single box that plugs into a standard 110 outlet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's quieter than 5 standalone PC's. It's a real powerful system. I've seen them at the tyan office and several customers that I talked to earlier this month are looking at them. Plus, it should be able to be upgraded to quad core, so then you are looking at 40 cores in a single box that plugs into a standard 110 outlet.
That's what the Xeon system is that came out last year.

Though if you want to get technical AMD's new quadcore CPU is a true quadcore vs. the Xeon which is more like two dual core CPUs on the same die.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Yeah, here's where intel falls apart:

Let's say core 1 needs data in the cache that core 3 and 4 share. It has to go outside the chip, through the frontside bus, through the memory controller, back up the frontside bus and into the cache to retrieve the data.

Then it has to take the same path back. Tons of bus traffic, crappy scalability.

Each of the AMD cores can communicate with each other without leaving the chip. Performance is going to be significantly better than intel and the power/thermals will be the same as AMD dual core chips.

Intel is 23-50% higher power consumption as you go from dual to quad core.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah but Intel has their own version of hypertransport on the drawing board - CSI. Depending on how good the new AMD stuff is in the real world will dictate when it comes out. I think right now its 2008 - Itanium first and Xeon to follow.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
If they are smart, they will go with xeon, then itanium, but the reality is they still cling to the idea that itanium will make it. About a million servers a quarter are shipped, less than 10,000 of them are itanium.

CSI is interesting, but my gut tells me version 1.0 is going to be buggy as hell.