Quantcast

Latic Acid...how to build a better tolerance?

SoCA

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
OC Barrios
Here is my situation,
Endurance wise, I'm currently satisfied with at the moment and know how to increase it. What I need help on is increasing my tolerance to the Latic Acid burn. I know having a high tolerance has to do with gene's but also training for it also helps. What foods, type of training, what to comsume, etc... can I do to make it burn less?

I'm not sure if this is related to Latic Acid, over training, not enough resting, proper nutrition, circulation, stretching or whatever...
But the first 15-30 minutes into my rides, my legs are hurting bad...mostly the outer and upper thigh area. Feels like Latic Acid burn but I don't think it's that because once it goes away, I'm fine and hauling ass like usual with little discomfort. One of my rides is a 6 mile loop (Whiting Ranch for the SoCa locals), I do it at least 2 times everytime I go out and up to 4 if I feel up to it. I struggle for the first half of first loop because of my legs but after that, I can ride the entire course at least one more additional loop without much discomfort. Can anyone explain what I can do to help this this?

Thanks!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
In a few of the training/hrm threads, there has been discussion about raising your anerobic threashold (the point where your body has no more oxygen to burn and creates lactic acid). If you train at and/or just above this threshold, eventually, it will increase.

Perhaps you are not warming up adequately. This also happens to me sometimes - the beginning of my loops are almost instanly climbs though. Also, I know that my legs are in "worse shape" than my lungs, and therefore will give out faster.

(this is MBC)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo SoCa, sounds like you arent' warming up enough. i used to have the sameeeee problem, almost exactly. just warm up properly and make sure you do more then intense rides b/c base training is veryyyyyy important. that might be another part of the problem, i know it was part of mine......

Slice

Chimp
Sep 25, 2001
Novato
It's also possible you are experiencing micro tears (as in rip) in your muscles. Rest, stretch, warm up & ride.. I asked my Chyro a similar question...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Slice
It's also possible you are experiencing micro tears (as in rip) in your muscles. Rest, stretch, warm up & ride.. I asked my Chyro a similar question...
But he told you to go ride with your buds first, them move furniture;)

Spriggan

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Lodi, CA
Wouldn't this deal with your VO2MAX??? The rate that your body usess oxygen etc???

Try interval training on your bike... For instance ride to a local track and lets say 4x around it is a mile... ride one mile light effort to warm up... then ride 2 laps faster... slow down 1 lap... ride at your peek effort for 1 lap and ride slowly for 1 lap in your granny gears... Modify something like this and do it often etc... Look up sports training on VO2MAX...

The idea is to get your lactic acid flow'n like Eminem... Once it's in your legs... Ride until you can go hard again... From doing this your legs are getting used to the acid and will become better at recovery and maximize your higher effort level...

Hope this helped a little!

Endo Verendo

Chimp
Mar 8, 2002
Studio City, CA
You can also try some lactic acid buffering products like Race and Enduro Caps from E-caps. I call them my 'magic pills.' I thought it was just hype at first, but after using these supplements my legs are the last things I notice on hard rides.

BTW, reference my customer # 23159 and get 15% off your first order. http://www.e-caps.com

SoCA

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
OC Barrios
Thanks everyone for responding to my post.
I have found that doing just basic stretching before every ride really helps with the pain. Even doing just the real basic 5 minute stretch helps alot. It seems like such a basic concept I have over looked but I usually just hop out of the car and go...mainly because I'm in bit of a rush to get on the trail to fit in a decent ride on the way home from work(I don't own a light system).

As for lactic acid burn...well, I'm working on building up a better tolerance to it and it seems to be working. Training for it is a killer!!! What I do is pick a spot that has a extended climbing section (or I find a long uphill street) and basically ride my a$$ off until I almost pass out from the pain. I dismount, rest just until the pain almost goes away then jump back on and do it again. My co-workers thought someone was riding my "greek-saddle" from the way I was walking into the office the first week or so. I have noticed the results though and pretty pleased with it. I really don't know why I put myself through it though, I'm not a XC racer...just DH only but sure has put my a$$ in shape quick style.

As for drinking beer for the pain...your right, it would kill it (and sure sounds good right now), but probably kill me too. I'm in recovery. :-(((( Plus my fiance would definitely leave me.

Thanks again everyone.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by SoCA
Thanks everyone for responding to my post.
I have found that doing just basic stretching before every ride really helps with the pain. Even doing just the real basic 5 minute stretch helps alot. It seems like such a basic concept I have over looked but I usually just hop out of the car and go...mainly because I'm in bit of a rush to get on the trail to fit in a decent ride on the way home from work(I don't own a light system).

As for lactic acid burn...well, I'm working on building up a better tolerance to it and it seems to be working. Training for it is a killer!!! What I do is pick a spot that has a extended climbing section (or I find a long uphill street) and basically ride my a$$ off until I almost pass out from the pain. I dismount, rest just until the pain almost goes away then jump back on and do it again. My co-workers thought someone was riding my "greek-saddle" from the way I was walking into the office the first week or so. I have noticed the results though and pretty pleased with it. I really don't know why I put myself through it though, I'm not a XC racer...just DH only but sure has put my a$$ in shape quick style.

As for drinking beer for the pain...your right, it would kill it (and sure sounds good right now), but probably kill me too. I'm in recovery. :-(((( Plus my fiance would definitely leave me.

Thanks again everyone.
after you have done the uphill sprint, don't get off your bike, keep spinning even if you have to just spin riding in circles. this helps flush the lactic acid out of your legs and pull your recovery times down to get you ready for the next set. don't over do it though w/ the # of intervals you are doing. most ppl jump out thinking they can do 15+ intervals, a minute long a piece. well some can but its' best to build up.