Quantcast

lawmakers on crack?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
This came up when I was going to ride with two people who didn't want to be held responsible for me getting hurt (which I understand :D ). My dad who is a lawyer asked a friend. The law says that I could ride my self, but not ride with someone over 18 that is not a guardian. WTF :stosh: . This applies to riding on a mountain or even riding down 1 block from home to a store. :confused:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What a bunch of pvssies. I just took a 15 year old to N*. I figure he can take care of himself.

Flip it around. Even if he hurts himself, what is his family going to get me?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I know I go on Cambria (cbo) rides with people over 20 and Im the only 15yo. Shops do this all the time. This is the first I or my dad has heard of it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Damn, but adolescents (under 18) can't really drive (w/ friends). WTF. HOw are kids supposed to do things like ride? I guess kids should just kick back and smoke doobies. (sarcasm)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yup...just interpretation....total BS. no one is going to sue because you got hurt while riding w/ them.....UNLESS, they can prove that the adult was a direct cause of the injury.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
It's actually not the lawmakers who are on crack, it's the "lowest common denominator" who refuses to take responsibility in their own actions they have to make laws for to keep from getting their asses sued off. An everyday example is there IS signage at ever intersection of every city. Common sense will tell you (without signage) to slow down and look both directions before you cross it, be it in a car, on bike or on foot. But if someone gets hurt because they were being idiots and blows the intersection, then the city will get sued for not signing the intersection instead of the idiot admitting they didn't use any common sense. Another is the old lady/McDonalds/hot coffee sue that resulted in the required labeling of "caution, hot coffee" on the sides of coffee cups. "...I got burnt because the coffee was TOO hot..." and didn't have enough common sense to test before pounding dow a big gulp of it...hummm.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
When are people going to blame themselves for being dumbasses.
I will. I decided not to wear amy of my armor cause I am so cool on my home trail. Well, I crashed right in front of a trail runner guy (in DOLPHIN SHORTS no less!!!) and scraped up my shin pretty good. Trail runner guy laughed at me. I am a dumbass! I shoulda worn my armor.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Ciaran said:
I will. I decided not to wear amy of my armor cause I am so cool on my home trail. Well, I crashed right in front of a trail runner guy (in DOLPHIN SHORTS no less!!!) and scraped up my shin pretty good. Trail runner guy laughed at me. I am a dumbass! I shoulda worn my armor.

dude..that's a given. if you suit up in all your gear, you won't crash. but the second you take it all off and cruise around the parking lot, you'll hit something and go OTB and brake your wrist. happens every time :D

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
It's completely to cover their asses because people can't take responsibility for themselves. Also if you do get hurt you are not able to do all the insurance business and what not if they have to bring you to the hospital, so it's a big huge hassle for everyone involved

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Ciaran said:

Then I crashed right in front of him too!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If you are worrying about crap like this you should find a nice used bubble somewhere, live in that and never come out of your room.