Quantcast

lazy cooks..short cuts.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i make time to ride every day possible so I am down with lazy cooking and short cuts.

feel free to add your successfull attempts.

Lazy As* stir fry veg:
-one package colourfull coleslaw[lazy as*]
-1 thin sliced onion
-1 shredded carrot
-1/2 thin sliced red pepper
-1/2 thin sliced green pepper
-2 cups bean sprouts
-lightly steamed snow peas
-1/2 cup rice noodle or angel hair pasta
--soy sauce
-hot sauce
-peanut oil
-sesame seed oil
-ponzu[japanese sauce like soy]
-oven roasted cashews

-fry up the onion in a hot pan in peanut oil
-toss in the carrots after a minute
-place in big serving bowl
-fry up the coleslaw and toss into the bown
-fry up the sprouts and toss into the bowl
-add a cup water to the pan and when it's bubbling throw in the pasta/noodle and cook al dente.
-toss into the bowl with the snow peas, nuts, hot sauce and sprinkle with ponzu and sesame seed oil mix well and serve with protien and steamed rice

-you can add garlic, ginger or whatever veg you desire. I make enough for a 2 days.
- sometimes i only use the sprouts, coleslaw and noodles if I am in a hurry and have little time.

and enjoy!!
madman

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah....or Sandra Lee. Anthony Bourdain would crucify you for doing otherwise. He gets mad if you use an egg and didn't personally f*ck the chicken to make it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you want a ton of lazy cook ideas, just watch Rachael Ray's show on Food Network. She's the queen of lazy cooks.
She also can't cook.

You can actually make good food with good ingredients and not spend hours on it. Hell, how hard is it to make stock 3 or 4 times a year?

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
come on monkeys....we don need no stinkin tv chefs...this is ridemonkey....
post REAL recipees and ideas here. mon.
and Rachel can't cook.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
That's only semi-lazy-azz. Pickup some pre-sliced frozen peppers, onions, and carrots for full-on lasy-azz. :twitch:
hmmm..frozen?.....not.
i dispise freezer foods and microwaves. My kitchen has never had one and never will.

so give up yer recipees monkeys!!!!

quick and painless meals that taste good and are nutritious!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
boil pasta.
sautee garlic & shallots.
look in your crisper grab any veggies that look good cut 'em up & throw in with the galic & stuff.
drain pasta.
add veggies.
hit it up with a little S&P & parmesan.
eat.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
hmmm..frozen?.....not.
i dispise freezer foods and microwaves. My kitchen has never had one and never will.
Microwave meals are nasty. Bland, tastless crap with a ton of salt. :plthumbsdown:

However, I use frozen pepper and onion strips splashed with a little olive oil grilled as an occasional substitute if I didn't have time to go shopping or if it's that time of year when the produce isn't so good. Not as good as fresh, but does the job in a pinch.

YMMV

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I short-cut by cooking extra on the weekends and then using it for other meals throughout the week. I.e. grill double the amount of chicken and use it for a meal that night, then make couscous or some chicken & pasta dish another night, or just throw it on a salad and dinner's ready.

I also make a big pot of chili and freeze 2 more meals worth so I have some quick go-to meals in the freezer.

For instance, Saturday I roasted a whole chicken and we had that with dressing & mashed potatos and asparagus. Then, I used the bones & veggies to make about 10 cups of stock that I froze 6 cups of. Last night, I used the leftover chicken, veggies, and 4 cups of stock to make chicken & dumplings. Tonight we'll have stuffed pork chops with the leftover dressing and tomorrow I will use up the leftover mashed potatos in a shepard's pie or something. Sure, I cooked a while on Saturday, but it was crappy outside so I didn't mind.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
She also can't cook.

You can actually make good food with good ingredients and not spend hours on it. Hell, how hard is it to make stock 3 or 4 times a year?
do you know her?

define "cook"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
do you know her?

define "cook"
Of course I don't know her.

"Cook" means making decent food with good ingredients and sound technique. Ray fails on all three criteria. She is the real life equivalent of that guy from that ****ball sitcom "Home Improvement".

If you want to get really loose with the definition, I guess throwing hot water into a bowl of ramen is cooking...far be it from me to be critical of bad food on a Beer and Food forum.

In my next post, I'll make sure to expound on the merits of Miller Lite as the world's best beer...then I'm over to the tech forum to explain why that Kodak disposable camera is all a professional photographer could ever possibly need...

BillT

Monkey
Rachael Ray is a TV personality that happens to host a cooking show, she is not a 'cook' by profession. Put her in the Iron Chef kitchen against Lagasse, Batalli, Flay, etc and watch her flounder around looking for the Cheeze-Wiz.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Rachael Ray is a TV personality that happens to host a cooking show, she is not a 'cook' by profession. Put her in the Iron Chef kitchen against Lagasse, Batalli, Flay, etc and watch her flounder around looking for the Cheeze-Wiz.
exactly, she hosts a show that's designed for the same type of person that started this thread.

I'm sure she can cook like anyone else. Cooking (make decent food with good ingredients and sound technique.) isn't hard. ANYONE can do it.

I guess if you don't kill the cow, grow the chickens, sow the wheat and make your own condiments, it's not cooking.....

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
she's a sweet lady though and would be a HOOT at a tail gate party but even she said it best..."i can not make dessert".

so i am amazed i never saw the chicodude's sticky. I must have tunnel vision:shocked:

frozen onions?

ew.

i never roast just one chicken any more. I have been cooking 2 at a time for at least 5 years now. Why make one when the oven is hot? might as well throw 2 birds in....and the spudz and squash for tomorrow.

i'll post in Chicobro's post from now on
thanx monkeys.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
she's a sweet lady though and would be a HOOT at a tail gate party but even she said it best..."i can not make dessert".

so i am amazed i never saw the chicodude's sticky. I must have tunnel vision:shocked:

frozen onions?

ew.

i never roast just one chicken any more. I have been cooking 2 at a time for at least 5 years now. Why make one when the oven is hot? might as well throw 2 birds in....and the spudz and squash for tomorrow.
:thumb: That's my theory. I also tend to bake a little something while the oven's hot too :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm sure she can cook like anyone else. Cooking (make decent food with good ingredients and sound technique.) isn't hard. ANYONE can do it.
Except for Ray. If it's so damn easy, who not do exactly that? She's either incredibly inept, or willfully ignorant. Either way, it's not a good thing...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
can you give me some examples?

Here is a random recipe that I found of hers.
What needs to be changed for it to be cooked?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_30951,00.html
Well, you're starting off with chicken tenders. Why not pick something really bland and tasteless, like a rice cake?

Then you have the fact that the things are called "Honey Nut **** Sticks" with the only honey and nut contribution coming from prepackaged cereal flakes.

If you can explain why the breading has oil in it, that would be nice as well.

Is it food? Sure. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm busy preparing my "Chocolate Caramel Peanut Delight" for dessert tonight. It's a Snickers bar, cut into fourths on a plate. Voila...cooking!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
So your issue is with what she named it? if she'd called it something different it would change what it is?

it's cooking. she can cook. it may not suite your tastes but it is cooking.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So your issue is with what she named it? if she'd called it something different it would change what it is?

it's cooking. she can cook. it may not suite your tastes but it is cooking.
No. A different name, and it would still be ****.

Now, we are not communicating well. I went over earlier what I considered cooking to be, and this recipe doesn't make it over that bar, for the reasons I posted. Keep in mind, if you're stuck on the pedantic point that applying heat to food makes it cooking, I will concede. Having said that, if you're ever over at my place for dinner, don't complain when you get a microwaved hot dog for dinner while everyone else gets to have "cooking".

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
by your standards, most people on this board can't ride bikes because they don't ride at lance's level.....

cooking doesn't have to be hard or have expensive ingrediants or be complex. (opening a jar of nuts isn't cooking, no one said it was)

cooking doesn't have to be five star level either. people have been cooking food for many years before there were cooking schools to go to.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
by your standards, most people on this board can't ride bikes because they don't ride at lance's level.....
Wrongo. Most people on this board CAN indeed ride bikes. It's why we spend incredible amounts of money and time on it. Most Ridemonkeys realize that a dual suspension Huffy isn't the top o' the line...thanks for making my argument for me.

I'm not arguing that you need to be Thomas Keller or Eric Ripert to make edible food. I'm arguing that Ray sucks at it.

Of course good cooking doesn't have to have expensive ingredients or be complex. I never made that argument. I've also never been to cooking school, which makes me at least as qualified as your husky voiced heroine...