Quantcast

lazy fucking friday thread

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
wassup LB! are you at the big S now?
Yessir. Working as an R&D Technician. I am absolutely loving it. Still getting used to the Bay Area. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.My lady moved up with me. She is working at Tesla doing HR.

The riding is fantastic up here. I ride Santa Cruz probably 3 times a week. Got myself an Enduro and an Epic HT so that covers all the bases for me, haha. All in all, I would say I'm really happy with the move, and it was a massive step forward for my career.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yessir. Working as an R&D Technician. I am absolutely loving it. Still getting used to the Bay Area. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.My lady moved up with me. She is working at Tesla doing HR.

The riding is fantastic up here. I ride Santa Cruz probably 3 times a week. Got myself an Enduro and an Epic HT so that covers all the bases for me, haha. All in all, I would say I'm really happy with the move, and it was a massive step forward for my career.
Nice dude. Glad to hear things are going well for you. :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
roffl. I am trying to get a handle on my various retirement accounts. My previous employer of 20 years kept changing plans and moving shit around which made it hard to keep track. I've got a 403b with Mass Mutual, a pension with Mass Mutual, a 403b with Fidelity, a 401k with Fidelity, and a 401a with Fidelity of which I have no idea what the hell that is. On Jan 1 I can begin with a 401k catch-up, because old.

Also,
my retirement is me dying in the woods somewhere....sooner or later...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Day off today instead of yesterday, big plans of sleeping in, Nope. Wife had a flat tire, sent her to work in my truck, and here I sit at America’s tire spending $1000 because her two fronts were shot, the nail was in the shoulder and the one semi okay rear was only semi okay.
E34D4B2A-E8BF-4939-BA3E-619A244F83C8.jpeg

Of course they only have two tires in stock so I get to come back next Saturday too. Good thing I don’t have a million things to get done to get ready for thanksgiving camping, oh wait…

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
One of the big trees outside my bedroom window has it’s amazing pink blossom out now. I don’t actually know what sort of tree it is…

Building a huge flatpack cabin bed this morning, because teenagers. Sigh. Will see if I still have me IKEA steez.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

Glad the move was a good one! If you get the chance to ride Tamararancho it's amazing! Also, China Camp is pretty fast and flowy but lovely in the spring when all of the flowers are blooming.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Since Stoney is apparently busy (probably doing baseboards or some other carpentry) I'll chime in:

1) Find out which of your sundry accounts has the lowest fees (both account and fund of choice).

2) Roll in all other accounts into this one.

3) ...

4) Profit.
Generally speaking, yes. Always? No. Plus a 15yr timeline (you vs iab) makes for a very substantial difference regarding risk profiles, access requirements, etc. Add that he doesn't have little monkeys to deal with (no college or need for inheritance) but also nobody to cover aspects of parental care in later life and you are suddenly looking at a situation where some aspect of fees to get the knowledge of the professional to make the most advantage of what you have. Lowest fee, highest risk in youth makes absolute sense. That makes less sense later.

Generally speaking, if you're <40 you need to have a very particular situation for me to recommend anything outside of the basic Target Date funds in your plan (most people don't change things ever, so you can't say SP500 since they will probably be in it at 65). Over 40 and we're looking at individual situations.

Easy example here through... IAB probably makes enough (too much?) money and can take advantage of a Backdoor Roth. If he was chasing lowest fees and did that, he'd likely be in a Vanguard or Fidelity IRA, and get bitch slapped by taxes. Most people don't know these details, which is why professionals have value. But if someone says 1%+ for management, punch them in the cooter.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Glad the move was a good one! If you get the chance to ride Tamararancho it's amazing! Also, China Camp is pretty fast and flowy but lovely in the spring when all of the flowers are blooming.
Noted! I haven’t made it up that far north yet. Still exploring Santa Cruz, Aptos, Pacifica, and Santa Teresa. It’s mind blowing how much more riding there is up here than in SD

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Easy example here through... IAB probably makes enough (too much?) money and can take advantage of a Backdoor Roth. If he was chasing lowest fees and did that, he'd likely be in a Vanguard or Fidelity IRA, and get bitch slapped by taxes.
He listed what he has: 401(a), several 403(b), and now a 401(k) apparently. No IRAs to worry about pro rata rule if he favors the backdoor, if ya know what I mean

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Generally speaking, if you're <40 you need to have a very particular situation for me to recommend anything outside of the basic Target Date funds in your plan
like me. my target date funds are only 50% of my 401k, but that's all based on input from my CFP.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
like me. my target date funds are only 50% of my 401k, but that's all based on input from my CFP.
Tgt date funds are designed to be an entirely diversified, singular election, portfolio. If you're doing an individual portfolio in the 401k, it should be all-in. And you should be able to do it with just a few funds (SP500, mid-cap and bond indexes, plus a small-cap & int'l fund). Worst case, int'l, SP500, & bond indexes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tgt date funds are designed to be an entirely diversified, singular election, portfolio. If you're doing an individual portfolio in the 401k, it should be all-in. And you should be able to do it with just a few funds (SP500, mid-cap and bond indexes, plus a small-cap & int'l fund). Worst case, int'l, SP500, & bond indexes.
listen man, i do what my CFP tells me. and right now my 401k is +16.5% ytd

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I know this, yet for some reason can't convince myself to go all in on a target date fund. I've got maybe 40% of my total holdings in a target date fund.

Of course, it helps that said selections have performed better than the targeted date over the span I've held them.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I know this, yet for some reason can't convince myself to go all in on a target date fund. I've got maybe 40% of my total holdings in a target date fund.

Of course, it helps that said selections have performed better than the targeted date over the span I've held them.
Generally speaking, an asset class specific fund will always outperform a target date fund. The tgt date funds have bond exposure; the SP500 index does not. One can return 25% yoy, the other cannot (technically it can, but holy fuck that would be bad). BUT! you have to be cognizant and prepared for the ensuing volatility. If you want absolute RoR, buy an Intl fund and hold on. In 20 years it should outperform any other fund available in your 401(k). BUT! You have to commit to the volatility. Most people can't handle that, hence they use tgt date funds.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
listen man, i do what my CFP tells me. and right now my 401k is +16.5% ytd
And mine's 17.5% in a diversified index fund portfolio. Same exposures but no fees related to the tgt date fund. And it would be higher if I was 100% SP500. The fund is being misused. If you are getting recommendations for a personalized portfolio in the 401k, it shouldn't involve a tgt date fund unless it's 100% because you are paying them for advice. That advice should involve alleviating costs when unnecessary - outside mgmt fees for example.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No body ever died wishing they had spent more time at work.

It does roll over, I usually take 75% of it in a given year. I think the closest I have been to actually being 'sick' is one time having the shits and not wanting to risk being too far from a crapper.

I also struggle to find shit to do this time of year. Pretty much a monsoon this weekend.

Last edited: