Quantcast

LBS Fail, Belmont and Ace Wheelworks

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah we drove to Belmont once from CT to test ride some bikes. They sent us an EMAIL quote on a frame/complete bike and screwed up the quote - BADLY in our favor.

and their response was "you should have known that price was wrong" and of course didn't honor it or offer any sort of "oops, our bad."
I still have that e-mail.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You have to know who to talk to. I'll go in there and ask for someone in particular, if he's not there I'll leave.
Sadly at my shop it's like that. More sadly, it's me. :D

Seriously, I had some great help, but they couldn't handle the inconsistent behavior of someone here (not me) and moved on. I miss them both.

I just went over how some tires were priced $5 lower on the tag, as they were old stock. I told my guy to charge the $5 lower price, per tire. The chick came back in to state she was overcharged. I fixed it.

I have had both good luck and bad luck with mail order and the LBS (not just the one I run), but have to sit back and watch. It sucks to see people shop elsewhere, knowing you'd do the same deal, but it also sucks to charge people retail on stuff. A true quandary.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I honestly concern myself with dropping the ball. When it happens, and it does sometimes, I get undue stress. I know I should care, but the concern I get is amazing to me. I'll bet Dustin is the same way, knowing what I do about him.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It sucks to see people shop elsewhere, knowing you'd do the same deal, but it also sucks to charge people retail on stuff. A true quandary.
Solution: trade parts straight up for beer.

That's what all my LBS worker friends do. :cheers:

Well, not straight up, but I never walk into any of my friend's LBS's without at least a 12 pack for their help. My friend got my SID lowers warrantied for me, and had new lowers in 3-4 days. It was no cost to them/me, but the deed got them 2 sampler 12 packs from local breweries when I went to the shop to pick them up.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My first LBS job was at the Somerville shop. We were taught to be indifferent to everyone but Bicycle messengers and Stock Broker-Yuppies. That and how to sneak bong hits in the bathroom. We did exchange sex for power bars with the local Goth chicks.... I never figured out why they were so hungry???

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
They had a guy run around from shop to shop chasing a part they said they had but didn't.

THAT'S bad service.
ok and their computer said they had it. they called the other shop and they said they had it. they realized that they had the wrong SKU and they offered him an alternative when he came in. he said himself that the tires had a note on them. what is wrong with that?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
ok and their computer said they had it. they called the other shop and they said they had it. they realized that they had the wrong SKU and they offered him an alternative when he came in. he said himself that the tires had a note on them. what is wrong with that?
What's wrong with that is that the shop workers didn't know the difference between a DH16 and DH32 tire. Don't bring up "what the computer said"......if there were hand written notes on the tires, that means they physically saw them. If they were any sort of knowledgeable and competent, that would have known that it wasn't the tire he was asking for.

The fact that people are defending this is astounding.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What's wrong with that is that the shop workers didn't know the difference between a DH16 and DH32 tire. Don't bring up "what the computer said"......if there were hand written notes on the tires, that means they physically saw them. If they where any sort of knowledgeable and competent, that would have known that it wasn't the tire he was asking for.

The fact that people are defending this is astounding.
:stupid:

Recently I called all of the local shops looking for Stan's Notubes CX rubber rim strips. I was very specific on the product I needed with everyone I called. I knew it was a bit of an obscure product so I was shocked when one of the shops said they had them in stock. I drove over there on my lunch break and he pulls out the spoke hole tape. If you don't know the product then ask questions, don't assume you know what the person is talking about.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
All shop employees. SHOCKING. :D
As a shop employee, I'd like to go on the record as saying I think the shop fvcked up. If someone calls looking for something, I will pretty much always go and have it in my hand before I tell them that, yep, we've got one. I'd really hate to pull that kind of mix up on someone.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Recommended reading for Sanjuro:

If you really think the shop didn't screw up then you're delusional. He drove to BOTH of their locations looking for a product that they told him they had in stock. How is that possibly HIS fault?!? Do you have any clue how many marketing dollars go into just getting a customer to walk in the door?

For fvck's sake, treat people with respect. Especially people that give you money. Like every business, bike shops are IN BUSINESS for the CUSTOMER and nothing else.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
As a shop employee, I'd like to go on the record as saying I think the shop fvcked up. If someone calls looking for something, I will pretty much always go and have it in my hand before I tell them that, yep, we've got one. I'd really hate to pull that kind of mix up on someone.
Yup - and if I do mess it up, you will get a call apologizing and asking you to not waste your time coming in. Sadly, I get too busy sometimes and mistakes are made. I agree that this shop bonked on it though.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i would hope Inclag sent an email to wheelworks about this and possibly the link to this thread. not just for pointing out that their employee's screwed up but to also use it as a teaching tool on what not to do and also to learn that if you don't know a product then find someone who does or take a name and number down and get back to the customer with an answer. they may want to only hire "fixie" people, but that's not their only business. the Belmont local carries most of their higher end bikes, someone there should have known. makes me wonder that if they could mess something like a tire order up, how the hell do they sell the bikes they go on?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Recommended reading for Sanjuro:

If you really think the shop didn't screw up then you're delusional. He drove to BOTH of their locations looking for a product that they told him they had in stock. How is that possibly HIS fault?!? Do you have any clue how many marketing dollars go into just getting a customer to walk in the door?

For fvck's sake, treat people with respect. Especially people that give you money. Like every business, bike shops are IN BUSINESS for the CUSTOMER and nothing else.
Actually, my boss has an opposite opinion about catering to customers.

I have commented we should have more little nuts and bolts around, and he pointed out that the time you spend to find this nut, giving the tiny profit you make, why bother stocking it?

But Belmont did screw up by promising the wrong product. I just don't think it is a world-ender.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Actually, my boss has an opposite opinion about catering to customers.

I have commented we should have more little nuts and bolts around, and he pointed out that the time you spend to find this nut, giving the tiny profit you make, why bother stocking it?

But Belmont did screw up by promising the wrong product. I just don't think it is a world-ender.
Sounds like a great businessman :disgust1:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Because if you are not prepared to serve my small requests, i'll be less liable to return to buy a big ticket item.
:stupid:

I can't tell you how much business we've gotten because people have been blown away that we happened to have, say, a pair of Sampson cleats in stock. I actually sold a pair a couple months ago. Little stuff like that impresses people.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Because if you are not prepared to serve my small requests, i'll be less liable to return to buy a big ticket item.
That's what I told the owner, but that's his philosophy.

His big ace in the hole was that he is the best mechanic in the county.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The quality of the mechanic is determined by how many days it takes to get your bike back from a mundane repair.
Wouldn't workload be a factor? If that is the case then the shops that throw your bike on the stand immedately and fix it while you wait would have to be better.

Is there a mechanic speed contest somewhere that this guy won?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I don't entirely agree with Sanjuro's shop owner, but if I have 4 people bike shopping, I shouldn't be expected to spend 20 minutes hunting down some obscure part. I have a ton of them, and more small parts than most big shops down in Austin, but small parts don't pay bills. If I lose a bike sale over a cone from an R600 hub, I've not accomplished a good thing. I suspect that is Sanjuro's boss' view.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I don't entirely agree with Sanjuro's shop owner, but if I have 4 people bike shopping, I shouldn't be expected to spend 20 minutes hunting down some obscure part. I have a ton of them, and more small parts than most big shops down in Austin, but small parts don't pay bills. If I lose a bike sale over a cone from an R600 hub, I've not accomplished a good thing. I suspect that is Sanjuro's boss' view.
Or you could start by reading the books I posted on the previous page and realize that treating all customers fairly, you are setting yourself up for success.

Just imagine the attitude that the obscure part shopper probably gets from your competition. Now - imagine yourself greeting that customer with a smile, asking about their day, and finding the part that they need. Hell, even round up some free samples of chain lube to give to them.

Now imagine how many people that obscure part shopper is going to tell about your shop. Go the extra 1% for those 10 people and they will also tell 10 people. It's simple really...treat all people like you'd want to be treated and your business will grow.

Definitely don't ignore the big ticket item customers but quit thinking only in the short term. It's working for my business right now and I'm amped to tell anyone who will listen. :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Or you could start by reading the books I posted on the previous page and realize that treating all customers fairly, you are setting yourself up for success.

Just imagine the attitude that the obscure part shopper probably gets from your competition. Now - imagine yourself greeting that customer with a smile, asking about their day, and finding the part that they need. Hell, even round up some free samples of chain lube to give to them.

Now imagine how many people that obscure part shopper is going to tell about your shop. Go the extra 1% for those 10 people and they will also tell 10 people. It's simple really...treat all people like you'd want to be treated and your business will grow.

Definitely don't ignore the big ticket item customers but quit thinking only in the short term. It's working for my business right now and I'm amped to tell anyone who will listen. :thumb:
BTW, that's not my experience.

Most people will buy everything thru mail order, and only go to the shops as a last resort.

I find that the people who need mechanical services are the customers you can depend on.

That's an area which you can't screw up.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
BTW, that's not my experience.

Most people will buy everything thru mail order, and only go to the shops as a last resort.

I find that the people who need mechanical services are the customers you can depend on.

I don't work in the industry but don't you think if more shops started thinking along those lines that mail order would take a hit? I mean, any customer that's worth having understands value over price.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I buy overpriced apparel at the cycle loft because they cut my spokes for free. They didn't have to, they could have charged me anything, but they didn't, and I'm very grateful. I've bought jerseys, gloves, and a few other small parts through them, and I always go back for mechanical work, which they don't always charge me for, and are always quick about.

If I were smarter, I would have gotten my DH jerseys from them...then they would fit instead of being HUGE on me.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

hahaha. Right. I think my sucessful vs. Non-successful shop visits are at a ratio of about 1 for 5.

The most recent is the guy who installed my New pivot bolts (which he sold me on... For pimpatude) forgot a spacer between my seat stay and the main link. Now the main link is all worn on one side.

Shame on me for trusting a shop to reassemble my bike properly.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I buy overpriced apparel at the cycle loft because they cut my spokes for free. They didn't have to, they could have charged me anything, but they didn't, and I'm very grateful. I've bought jerseys, gloves, and a few other small parts through them, and I always go back for mechanical work, which they don't always charge me for, and are always quick about.

If I were smarter, I would have gotten my DH jerseys from them...then they would fit instead of being HUGE on me.
You just need to fill in some more. Get drinking buddy :D

With respect to the poster that suggested contacting these guys, I do not feel very inclined with doing that. I iterated my disappointment face to face when it became apparent that they dropped the ball. It would be a shame if it would have to take the anonymity of an email and postings on a bike forum for them to learn from this.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Eh, I would disagree. They are a great tire, but because they are such a big tire, they tend to float overtop of mud as opposed to dig into it.
I would disagree as well. They actually float over the mud because the mud gets stuck in the tread and doesn't readily shell off. The mud specific tires which I think come in the comp 28s(not sure) are way better.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Maybe where you're from.

There's two distinct mtb types around here.

1) Ones that wear full lycra suits, shave their legs, have $7000 bikes and every type of performance enhancing juices/gels/bars/mixes.

2) Ones that ride a ****ty clapped out bike that was top of the line 7 years ago, wear baggy shorts, pack beers in their camelbaks and smoke a cigarette at the top of the longest climb.

I prefer the second group.
hahahahahaha I think I know those groups and prefer the second as well LOL

agreed, I have very little option in my area. I'll admit I'm pretty novice when it comes to working on bike stuff, mechanically inclined so I intend to try most things myself and usually get it, but when I screw up it'd be nice if the bike store 2 blocks from my house actually carried anything so I could fix my screw up quickly and easily.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
agreed, I have very little option in my area. I'll admit I'm pretty novice when it comes to working on bike stuff, mechanically inclined so I intend to try most things myself and usually get it, but when I screw up it'd be nice if the bike store 2 blocks from my house actually carried anything so I could fix my screw up quickly and easily.
So...you won't pay them for the most profitable thing they offer, but expect them to carry the least profitable things in case you f*#k up. That's just plain retarded expectations for any business. :think: