Quantcast

LBS Fail, Belmont and Ace Wheelworks

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Story goes like this.

A couple weeks ago I was getting ready for a race up at Mt. Snow and the forecast was looking pretty miserable since alot of rain was expected for all of Saturday. For years I've raced without slop/mud tires, but I decided that I would finally give them a go, and I recalled seeing some Michelin Muds and DH16's at the Belmont Wheelworks' store. Their sister store, Ace Wheelworks in Somerville, is on my route back home from work so I swung in that Thursday night and inquired about the tires.

After waiting around a good 10 minutes one of the fashionsita shop lackeys (you know, long hair/beard/tight jeans/etc etc.) asks if I need any help. I tell him what I need and he checked out back and then looked in the computer that their were some of the tires I needed in their inventory. He called up the other store to see if they had the tires I'm looking for and found out that they do and then takes down my information. I explained why I needed the tires and he assured me that they would come in around noontime the next day and he would call me when they arrived.

Well Friday came around and I received no phone call while at work. No biggie, I would just swing by the shop after work. I swung by, and the person I dealt with wasn't there. Instead, what could have been his twin helped me. I explained how I ordered some tires blah blah blah, and this guy proceeded to look around the shop for the tires and asks some of the other employees about the tires. He comes back looking a little dumbfounded and says that, "they must have forgot to send them over in the delivery truck". WTF? I roll my eyes and walk out.

Luckily the Belmont store is only a 30 minute drive to get to, so off I went since they closed in an hour. I got to the store and there was the usual shop talk at the entrance way with 3 employees that didn't even lift their heads up to ask if I needed help. I walked to the service area and one of the older guys asked if I need any help. I explained my situation and he started looking for the tires. He looked at the computer inventory, looked through all the tires on display (they weren't there), looked through the folding tires (ummm yea), and then downstairs. Nothing. He tracked down the person that did deliveries between stores and he knew nothing about the tires. At this point I was starting to get agitated at the entire situation so he called up the store I first went to to figure out what was going on.

I could tell as he was talking to the person over the phone that this wasn't going to end well. After he hung up he told me that there must have been a screw-up in inventory, and they couldn't find the tires they claimed they had. He then told me that they did set aside some other tires for me to look at. He went out to a back room and brought out some Michelin DH32 tires that had a note scribbled on them.

At this point my clams were really steaming, but I remained calm. I told him that the tires were completely different from what I wanted and then explained that I'm just overall disappointed because to sum everything up. I was told they had these tires and the store in Somerville had even called to make sure they had them. I didn't get any phone call after the store learned that they didn't have these tires. Then I had to go to both shops, and in the end, apparently the the first shop (the one in Somerville) knew that they didn't have these tires and had some other tires set aside. Yet they were never sent to them, and they didn't tell me any of this when I went there that Friday evening. All he could really say was that he was sorry.

And no I don't always buy everything online. I had probably spent a couple grand on small parts at those stores over the last 3 years. I guess you only receive LBS perks if you yuck it up with the employees of the store or have a nice pair of ta ta's. There's no incentive for supporting an LBS if you're a well informed consumer that goes in knowing exactly what you want completely circumventing the sales associates. OK stepping off the soap-box.

Well guess what Wheelworks? Now you get a bad review over the interwebz!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What did you expect? One is situated in fixie-heaven Somerville, and the other in snobby white suburbia. Noone at either shop knows anything about the DH scene/bikes (Except Lenny, but I don't know if he's still at Wheelworks in Belmont).

I used to live on Trapelo Rd. in Belmont, literally a 3 minute walk from Belmont Wheelworks, and would drive 10 miles up 128 to go to the Cycle Loft instead.

Yeah we drove to Belmont once from CT to test ride some bikes. They sent us an EMAIL quote on a frame/complete bike and screwed up the quote - BADLY in our favor.

and their response was "you should have known that price was wrong" and of course didn't honor it or offer any sort of "oops, our bad."

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah we drove to Belmont once from CT to test ride some bikes. They sent us an EMAIL quote on a frame/complete bike and screwed up the quote - BADLY in our favor.

and their response was "you should have known that price was wrong" and of course didn't honor it or offer any sort of "oops, our bad."
now that they should have honored. especially if they put it in a email.
god forbid i misquote a customer a price over email....unless there was a disclaimer on the bottom of the email saying that arent responsible for misinformation, then you are owed that price

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That sucks, but I've never had any good luck with either hwheel hworks. In fact, the somerville place charged me 20 for singlespeed chainring bolts. THE FCK? what an awful place that is.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What did you expect? One is situated in fixie-heaven Somerville, and the other in snobby white suburbia. Noone at either shop knows anything about the DH scene/bikes (Except Lenny, but I don't know if he's still at Wheelworks in Belmont).

I used to live on Trapelo Rd. in Belmont, literally a 3 minute walk from Belmont Wheelworks, and would drive 10 miles up 128 to go to the Cycle Loft instead.
So what you're saying is that you're a snobby white suburbanite?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So let me summarize:

Instant gratification time so no mail order like usual
Request obscure item from LBS
Shop guy looks for it, tries to order it
Mix up
Whine time on intraweb

Stuff happens. You planned badly by waiting for a Friday before race weekend, ask for items which very few shops have and ask for it right away, and it falls apart on you.

Why didn't you have it overnighted from Pricepoint? It would only have cost you an extra $100 for shipping.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So let me summarize:

Mix up
Whine time on intraweb

Stuff happens. You planned badly by waiting for a Friday before race weekend, ask for items which very few shops have and ask for it right away, and it falls apart on you.

Why didn't you have it overnighted from Pricepoint? It would only have cost you an extra $100 for shipping.

Did you miss the part where they said they had said parts?:think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did you miss the part where they said they had said parts?:think:
Did you read the words "mix up"?

Yeah, a bunch of fixie fellows don't know the difference between DH32 and DH16. That's a mix up.

They tried, which has to count for something.

Let me remind everyone is that if everyone DHer in Mass went to Belmont Wheelworks instead the several online alternatives, they would have more stock and better knowledge with dh products.

I know the alternative is that no one wants to bother spending more money and receiving so/so service, so that's why a roadie shop like Belmont doesn't cater to the dh crowd.

This is a similar circumstance to Dan's Comp, because if you think DH'ers are poorly treated, try buying BMX stuff at Belmont.

Finally, I had a similar circumstance happen to me. A friend asked me to order Minions, and I ordered a DHF/DHR pair. However, it was not communicated correctly he wanted only DHF's because the DHR is not a good tread pattern (according to him).

It wasn't a big deal and reordered another DHF while the shop sat on the DHR for a few months before it sold. But being particular about inventory, I was unhappy about a mistake, so I haven't forgotten about this.

I know how the intraweb works now. Something goes bad, major or minor, and you post it on Yelp, CL, etc.

I think he should get over it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So let me summarize:

Mix up
Whine time on intraweb

Did you bother reading what I wrote?

No you did not.

Try again.

My time frame has absolutely nothing to do with their fail. They said they had this item and even checked for me. From there on out they are culpable for everything that happened. I'm definitely not ranting about an out of stock item they didn't have.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did you bother reading what I wrote?

No you did not.

Try again.

My time frame has absolutely nothing to do with their fail. They said they had this item and even checked for me. From there on out they are culpable for everything that happened. I'm definitely ranting about an out of stock item they didn't have.
Then consider my review of your post.

Whaaa!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Let me remind everyone is that if everyone DHer in Mass went to Belmont Wheelworks instead the several online alternatives, they would have more stock and better knowledge with dh products.

I know the alternative is that no one wants to bother spending more money and receiving so/so service, so that's why a roadie shop like Belmont doesn't cater to the dh crowd.
If they are so clueless about DH they should change their print advertisements. The current Wheelworks ad running in the local NEMBA rag is of a full-face/armor wearing guy on a SX trail flying through the trees (ground isn't even in the pic) off a jump at highland mtn.

To summarize your weak, 3000mi away defense of Wheelworks: STFU

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If they are so clueless about DH they should change their print advertisements. The current Wheelworks ad running in the local NEMBA rag is of a full-face/armor wearing guy on a SX trail flying through the trees (ground isn't even in the pic) off a jump at highland mtn.

Let's me summarize the OP again:

I went into Belmont Wheelworks to order a tire.
They said they had it.
They had the wrong item.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Then consider my review of your post.

Whaaa!
I'm sorry that you expect mediocrity out of bike shops. I on the other hand do not and hopefully this can serve as a way to warn other prospective consumers of this shop's practices.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm sorry that you expect mediocrity out of bike shops. I on the other hand do not and hopefully this can serve as a way to warn other prospective consumers of this shop's practices.
Ok.

Your last 10 purchases, LBS or mail order?

Your last 2 bikes, pro-deal, used, or LBS?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, I can't stop you from posting your dissatisfaction, and by taking a hostile stance to your post, I glommed you a bunch of sympathy points.

But of hundreds of bad transactions I've heard of (and the few that I have been directly involved in), this doesn't rate very high in the world of screw-ups.

P.S. All my bikes have been pro-deals or used, but since quitting the industry again, I buy almost 90% of my stuff from shops. Some items, like clif bars and cassettes, are readily available. I rather not special order any item which I know a shop will not stock normally, and that does fall into my 10% category.

The odd items I've gotten recently from shops were Formula Oro brake pads, which I was on pins and needles hoping they didn't screw it up, and black spokes, which I called around and around playing 20 questions to make sure the shop I bought them from had the right length and type.

I know both of these items are uncommon, and I feel bad making shop dudes run around until I'm sure they have it or not before I walk in there. But I put the onus on myself to make sure its right.

Maybe if I called for an XT rear mech and when I show up they pawn off an X.0 on me, I will give them the business, but as frustrating as a bad tire order is, I know the reason why you even went to a LBS is the expedited shipping charge to get the tire right away.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Let's me summarize the OP again:

I went into Belmont Wheelworks to order a tire.
They said they had it.
They had the wrong item.
There was never any intention of ordering anything, you twit.

He asked if they had tires IN STOCK. They said they did.

There's no grey area.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Ok.

Your last 10 purchases, LBS or mail order?

Your last 2 bikes, pro-deal, used, or LBS?
Really, haha. OK you asked.

Last 10 purchases in no particular order.

Time Atac Control Z Pedals - Wheelworks (DH stuff in stock too!!!) - Full retail $139
32 271mm spokes and nipples - Wheelworks - Full retail
Size 12 Adidas Plush XL shoes - Bluesky Cycling - Interwebz
Sunline Direct Mount Stem - JRA Cycles (Medford) - $110 Full retail
2X Intense WC FRO Tires - OMGZZ!!!! Wheelworks!!!! - Full retail
Shimano Ultegra BB - JRA Cycles - Full retial ~ $50ish
32 271mm spokes, nipples, threadlock - Wheelworks!!!!!
4 XC tubes - Wheelworks
2 Geax 26" commuter tires - Wheelworks!!!!
Isis Bottom Bracket (I think FSA??), cables, Avid Code Pads (Organic), Truvativ Holzfeller Stem, Headset spacers - Wheelworks!!!!!

Last 2 Bikes?

Specialized Demo 8 Frame - Leominster Gearworks - Deal through race team sponsorship
Cannondale Rush frame - Used.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
welcome to mountain biking.
Maybe where you're from.

There's two distinct mtb types around here.

1) Ones that wear full lycra suits, shave their legs, have $7000 bikes and every type of performance enhancing juices/gels/bars/mixes.

2) Ones that ride a ****ty clapped out bike that was top of the line 7 years ago, wear baggy shorts, pack beers in their camelbaks and smoke a cigarette at the top of the longest climb.

I prefer the second group.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

P.S. I worked in a shop in the Hartford area, but I would not step into the Boston area because I have NY tattooed on my forehead.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe where you're from.

1) Ones that wear full lycra suits, shave their legs, have $7000 bikes and every type of performance enhancing juices/gels/bars/mixes.

2) Ones that ride a ****ty clapped out bike that was top of the line 7 years ago, wear baggy shorts, pack beers in their camelbaks and smoke a cigarette at the top of the longest climb.

still the same group.

splat

Nam I am
I don't like wheel works, they are a necessary evil though. for the most part if you need a strange part if they don't have it no one will.

that said my issues with them are they are just too Big! so much so there is no such thing as personalized service with them.

Maybe where you're from.

And everything in between.

and the funny part is there are some very popular trails almost right across the street from BWW

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Shop rules:

The LBS is never at fault. It's always the customer that did something wrong to cause the problem.

LBS can not be expected to help in any way, nor should they be expected to stock anything or sell anything at less than retail.

And don't forget, if you go elsewhere for parts and you experience a problem... you should have gone to the LBS.

Furthermore, if you work on your own bike and something fails... it's because you didn't use the LBS to work on your bike, regardless of your experience.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
JRA didn't have the tires? i love that shop, those guys get it. friendly, will talk with you for any amount of time and they carry a pretty nice selection of bikes there. wheelworks has always had that attitude that their s**t didn't stink and they were better than everyone else. well maybe at one point but not today. it's a nice place to visit, they have some nice stuff there. about as high end as you can go, but what good is it if their customer service sucks? and that's what happened, they dropped the ball on a simple thing. i'd send them an email about it too and let them know what happened.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
so what part of this was bad service? they didnt have the correct part. they offered you an alternative from their limited supply. yes the kid was wrong with not following through but beyond that, it seems like they did the best they could

qwik

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Metro Boston
Regards WheelWorks and Cycle Loft, I, too, no longer support them. Although I tried.
No need to go into details, except to say I didn't feel like a valued customer at either place.
Since then I've dropped over $10K between *web based* Speedgoat and Colorado Cycles. Great experience and customer service with both. Speedgoat, especially, jumped through hoops for my money. And I got what I wanted.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
normally when I see if a shop has something in stock, and they look down in a book or grab a phone, I GTFO. That is wasting my time. If you don;t have it in stock just say so, you don't need to look through a computer just to say that they are not in stock and it will take a week to order.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
so what part of this was bad service? they didnt have the correct part. they offered you an alternative from their limited supply. yes the kid was wrong with not following through but beyond that, it seems like they did the best they could
They had a guy run around from shop to shop chasing a part they said they had but didn't.

THAT'S bad service.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
normally when I see if a shop has something in stock, and they look down in a book or grab a phone, I GTFO. That is wasting my time. If you don;t have it in stock just say so, you don't need to look through a computer just to say that they are not in stock and it will take a week to order.
Uhm - Point of sale with inventory tracking is different than QBP searches.

Just sayin'.