Quantcast

LBS fees question

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
golgiaparatus said:
Sorry man, I have to heavily disagree... I HAVE a bad knee, pretty bad injury from swimming way too much breaststroke that will affect me for the rest of my life. Took about 2 rides to get my cleats right on my first pair of SPD's.

I am not at all convinced that everything should be free... But I am convinced that people should do their own basic work on their bike... its a simple mechanical device... sit down with it, play with it, its really simple.

As for cleats... that FAR more simple, but you can make it as complicated as you want.
You ever done any serious, competetive cycling? Ever ridden 100 miles off-road in 13 hours? You start spending some serious time on a bike and cleats that are 2mm off can end up being a painful problem.

You are out of your element Donnie. And you are still mowing my lawn.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hm...seems if you have bad knees, you'll either want to know how to adjust your cleats properly yourself, or have no problem paying $30.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
the Inbred said:
hm...seems if you have bad knees, you'll either want to know how to adjust your cleats properly yourself, or have no problem paying $30.

I agree. Do it yourself or pay the shop to do it. Time=money. Who wants to mow my lawn? PM me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ridemonkey said:
I agree. Do it yourself or pay the shop to do it. Time=money. Who wants to mow my lawn? PM me.
I'd like to mow your ex-g/f's lawn :drool:

Hey, it's not just me! You should've seen Squeak at a Winter Park race. I wasn't sure he was going to be able to compete with her around.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I tried riding again with the setup the shop did just to give it a chance. I'm nearly back to where I was with my cleats before the adjustment. I respect the pros, but at some point, no one knows you like you know you yourself :think:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if your purchased the shoes from them, and the cleats then I feel they shouldnt charge you for putting them on the shoes. at most $10 for the time it takes but id be pissed even if they charged me that.
one LBS once told me a tube would be $5. but to bring the bike in the store and have them do it would be $10. or if i bring jsy the wheel to them , $7, but I couldnt take the whell off the bike in the store i would have to go outside and do it. needless to say i never went back in that store again. The shop I am at now charges me $5 and she will have them change it. needless to say she has all my business and i have sent plenty of people to her

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
hooples3 said:
if your purchased the shoes from them, and the cleats then I feel they shouldnt charge you for putting them on the shoes. at most $10 for the time it takes but id be pissed even if they charged me that.
one LBS once told me a tube would be $5. but to bring the bike in the store and have them do it would be $10. or if i bring jsy the wheel to them , $7, but I couldnt take the whell off the bike in the store i would have to go outside and do it. needless to say i never went back in that store again. The shop I am at now charges me $5 and she will have them change it. needless to say she has all my business and i have sent plenty of people to her
Is this shop in Brooklyn? I may be looking for one there soon...

For the record, I recently ran into a similar thing at the shop we've been discussing. Found out that they charge $6/wheel extra for a tire change if you bring the bike into the shop just to take the wheels off the frame. That sort of thing I can do myself, contrary to opinion in this thread. :)

More nickel and diming. It's the best shop around here but jaysus.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ridemonkey said:
You ever done any serious, competetive cycling? Ever ridden 100 miles off-road in 13 hours? You start spending some serious time on a bike and cleats that are 2mm off can end up being a painful problem.

You are out of your element Donnie. And you are still mowing my lawn.
Oh come on... your going to play the newbie card on me? Ive been riding MTN since 1997 on self adjusted SPDs... before that I was all road, started in about 1991 on a Giant Paragon that I bought for a freewheel event... It was cross training for swimming. Use to ride about 150 miles on an average per ride. That accounts to about 300 miles a weekend, give or take. This was before SPD though when LOOK was the standard clipless pedal and the only place to get good parts was the LBS. Regardless, my first SPD's were in 97, I ended up using them on my road and my MTN bike. Never in my 14 years of cycling (8 years offroad) have I needed a machine to tell me that my toes were pointing too far in or out.

"LAUGHABLE MAN... HAAA HAAH!" Get a goat.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
golgiaparatus said:
Oh come on... your going to play the newbie card on me? Ive been riding MTN since 1997 on self adjusted SPDs... before that I was all road, started in about 1991 on a Giant Paragon that I bought for a freewheel event... It was cross training for swimming. Use to ride about 150 miles on an average per ride. That accounts to about 300 miles a weekend, give or take. This was before SPD though when LOOK was the standard clipless pedal and the only place to get good parts was the LBS. Regardless, my first SPD's were in 97, I ended up using them on my road and my MTN bike. Never in my 14 years of cycling (8 years offroad) have I needed a machine to tell me that my toes were pointing too far in or out.

"LAUGHABLE MAN... HAAA HAAH!"
Whatever man, really doesn't matter. I don't need them and neither do you. But if someone wants the shops time, they should be prepared to pay for it. That is the point.

So Donnie, when will you be over with the mower?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Barbaton said:
For the record, I recently ran into a similar thing at the shop we've been discussing. Found out that they charge $6/wheel extra for a tire change if you bring the bike into the shop just to take the wheels off the frame. That sort of thing I can do myself, contrary to opinion in this thread. :)

More nickel and diming. It's the best shop around here but jaysus.
If they don't have a list detailing what every service costs, they will run into two problems:

1. The asshat who comes in and complains that the service guy is just coming up with prices off the top of his head.

2. The asshat who comes in and thinks things that only take a few minutes should be free.

Try complaining about this stuff next time you get your oil changed and see how far it gets you. After all, oil changes are easy right? No reason for them to charge $25 for it.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Ridemonkey said:
But if someone wants the shops time, they should be prepared to pay for it. That is the point.
I agree, and with Inbred's earlier comment. And I already had an appointment, I was just curious if the price seemed in line with the rest of the country.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
<snip>Try complaining about this stuff next time you get your oil changed and see how far it gets you. After all, oil changes are easy right? No reason for them to charge $25 for it.
Yep - oil changes for $25 are a fuggin' joke! $4 oil filter & $5 for oil Done deal.

-S.S.-

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Barbaton said:
I agree, and with Inbred's earlier comment. And I already had an appointment, I was just curious if the price seemed in line with the rest of the country.
I would hope the shop had a lower fee for just bolting the cleats on with no professional adjustment. My comments aren't related to your initial post. I just can't stand freeloaders who want stuff for free - especially when labor is involved.

Is there anyone here who doesn't like to get paid for their time at work? Anyone at all? If there is, I have a job for you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ridemonkey said:
Whatever man, really doesn't matter. I don't need them and neither do you. But if someone wants the shops time, they should be prepared to pay for it. That is the point.

So Donnie, when will you be over with the mower?
Never argued that. My stance from the first thread was simply: I would never pay $30 for something that simple. Also, adjustment takes 5 min... thats over $350 an hour on a very simple mechanical machine, but I digress, if you feel the need to get it done then fine.

You need a goat man... grass stays trimmed, said trimmed gas fuels the mower and creates compost for the lawn :D All while you are out riding your bike.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
goat milk, too. when it dies, goat meat, some leather, and hopefully a few little kids running around eating the grass and prducing milk and cheese.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. Anyone can mount a cleat in less than 5 minutes. I guesstimate where the cleat goes and one hopes I got it right. If you can turn an allen key yourself, then you can reposition the cleat later to get it right. I do this for free.

2. If you use the FitKit System of cleat positioning, it takes between 20-40 minutes to do it correctly, which to me is $30 worth of labor.

3. My shop's policy is new bike and new shoes gets you a free FitKit cleat fitting. Otherwise it is a $40 charge. But I have done more free fittings than paid ones, which does include people who did not buy a bike.

4. Labor rates are a funny equation. Most tasks take me less time than the average mechanic, so should I charge more for my hourly rate?

5. I think it is important to charge for every possible job, because it compensates for the free work that also get done. The pre-teen with a flat tire, the commuter with a frozen BB, the dude with a warped rotor, the list goes on and on. These are all people who I have done free labor for simply because they did not have the money.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
The shop isn't charging $30 to put the cleats on. We are charging $30 for a fitting with some of the best custom fitters in the country. It takes 25-45 minutes depending on how experienced the rider is and the pedal system. It also includes trying out different tensions and adjusting the seat position.

Like I said before we don't just put cleats on peoples shoes because you never know what issues they may have and if they will sue the shop. While most of the people in the shop would like to do that for customers there are all to real reasons why we don't.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So I had the cleat fitting done yesterday. The guy who did it didn't use the machine because he says he doesn't trust it. He seems good though. We spent about 45 mins going over the fit of the bike, and he fit the saddle and a new stem to address some problems I've been having in addition to just setting the cleats. He's also apparently a coach and volunteered some advice on making my stance more efficient. So all in all a pretty productive session.

There was also this tool there getting similar work, who pulled up in front of me in a gold BMW X5 from which he pulled an apparently new De Rosa full carbon road bike. I didn't know he was there for a fitting also at first as the rotund little man had to take 10 minutes to change into full roadie spandex (this is all indoors on trainers of course) including P-I race socks, etc for his fitting. Then there was much to do because he had an aluminium seat post in his carbon frame that expanded because it had been wet and they couldn't get the seat post out, etc. Guy wasn't so much annoying as incredibly amusing. Some people just have too much money and too little sense. :)

Shop had a most droolworthy Seven Elium next to the fitting area too. If I had $6600 to spend on a bike ... I still probably wouldn't do it but nice ride anyway.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Barbaton said:
We spent about 45 mins going over the fit of the bike, and he fit the saddle and a new stem to address some problems I've been having in addition to just setting the cleats. He's also apparently a coach and volunteered some advice on making my stance more efficient. So all in all a pretty productive session.
Sounds like it was worth it for you.

Too funny about the other guy. But hey, guys like that help pay the R&D bills at the bike companies and help keep the LBS in business, so at least they have a purpose!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does this shop also have one of those Serotta FitBikes? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people insist that machines know their own body better than they do. There's a reason I train without an HRM...

Props to the shop for having a real person (and even knowledgeable!) go over the fitting for 45 minutes, instead of having a machine do it.

I will tell any shop to go **** themselves if they want to charge me to fit me on a FitBike or fit cleats with a machine. That's pure bull****.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
blue said:

I don't understand why people insist that machines know their own body better than they do. There's a reason I train without an HRM...

Props to the shop for having a real person (and even knowledgeable!) go over the fitting for 45 minutes, instead of having a machine do it.

I will tell any shop to go **** themselves if they want to charge me to fit me on a FitBike or fit cleats with a machine. That's pure bull****.
They actually do, but I've never seen anyone use it. I think it's just there to make the yuppies feel better. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:

Firstly, a HRM is key for measuring intensity, which is why every coach from Chris Carmichael to Joe Friel recommends using one. Most pro cyclists use a HRM as well as a power meter for training (Lance uses a HRM in TT's), so I am curious to know your "reason" why you don't.

Fitting is only as good as the person doing it. I can generally size up a person correctly by looking at him/her and discussing their riding history. But if I am pressed for time (which I often am), the 10 minutes it takes to do a FitKit answers a lot of questions.

I am sure most seasoned riders will know their preferred top tube and stem lengths, the fit they are looking for on a bike, and be able to fit their own cleats. But for novices, devices like FitKits and Serotta Fit Cycles are critical for finding the proper fit without the time-consuming "trial and error" method.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
Firstly, a HRM is key for measuring intensity, which is why every coach from Chris Carmichael to Joe Friel recommends using one. Most pro cyclists use a HRM as well as a power meter for training (Lance uses a HRM in TT's), so I am curious to know your "reason" why you don't.

Fitting is only as good as the person doing it. I can generally size up a person correctly by looking at him/her and discussing their riding history. But if I am pressed for time (which I often am), the 10 minutes it takes to do a FitKit answers a lot of questions.

I am sure most seasoned riders will know their preferred top tube and stem lengths, the fit they are looking for on a bike, and be able to fit their own cleats. But for novices, devices like FitKits and Serotta Fit Cycles are critical for finding the proper fit without the time-consuming "trial and error" method.
"The pros do it". So? Who gives a damn? Does that mean I should go shoot up on some blood boosters tomorrow? The pros can screw themselves, I'll do whats best for me. I used to ride with an HRM, and it threw me off, I was always paying too much attention to the goddamned numbers on an LCD screen and not to my riding. My HRM would tell me one thing, so I'd slow down or speed up my cadence/pace, and I would feel like I was riding over or under my potential instead of exactly at it. My body is dynamic, while all the training manuals I've read seem to think I'm quite the static individual, same day after day. I ride with a cyclocomputer that tells me how far I've gone and my average speed, that's about it.

FitCycles are really inaccurate. First, they feel nothing like a real bike, and someone is not going to sit the same on a fake bike as they will on a real one. It only shows the rider in a stationary, flat position and not in a climbing, sprinting, or ascending stance.

Lookie:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html (Bontrager article)

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
blue said:

chill, homeboy. no shop is going to tie you to the machine and force you to get a custom fit. believe it or not, you can opt not to pay for it. but a lot of people are willing to pay for it. The SizeCycle isn't used so you can fit a bike you already have, it's for custom frame fitting, ie, before the bike is even made for you.

fit systems aren't for everybody. they're not for me (unless i was getting a custom frame), clearly not for you. But older people and people with peculiar joint problems do benefit from these systems, and i know that because i've talked to these people. lots of people just kinda assume that sitting on a bike is uncomfortable, and getting that custom fit made them enjoy their riding experience a whole lot better, which made them ride more.